2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
@ralph7up...thanks for clearing that up. Being older and with a minor physical disability I will probably get my Ford dealer to fit a new battery when required because of the cowl or airbox removal hassle but I will bet that when I ask them to ensure that they reset the BMS they will have no idea what I am talking about...😰

·
Registered
19 Posts
and no idea if they have donne hte work of that or not.

No problem. I like many many others did not know of this
@ralph7up...thanks for clearing that up. Being older and with a minor physical disability I will probably get my Ford dealer to fit a new battery when required because of the cowl or airbox removal hassle but I will bet that when I ask them to ensure that they reset the BMS they will have no idea what I am talking about...😰
and found it out only when I inquired on this board regarding the replacement of my battery for my 2013 Ford Escape since sold for the 2018. As near as I can tell, all auto manufacturers use some kind of algorthym for controlling the alternator now to lengthen the battery life, optimize charging the battery, and fuel economy. If you check on other vehicles, I would be interested to know how they handle this particular aspect. This is not Ford's finest hour IMO. Their documentation for the second most practiced DIY (after oil change) is severely lacking. They also get low mark from me on knowledge and effective communication for their infotainment. Having said that, I like the car and the infotainment but not the service.
Yep. I wonder what happens if i simply remove the module at the neg termin

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Mine did not when I did. They now do. If you have an iphone, I can give you the name of the app that I use along with the OBDII connection device (it is bluetooth). I have my device to give me "battery days in service" and also SOC numbers that are in the cars computer. For sure it is the days in service that must be reset to tell the computer you have a "fresh" battery and not one that is on its last leg. It will charge them differently. I also am not willing to do this myself but I like to check. "Expect what you inspect" was drilled into me at an early age.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mine did not when I did. They now do. If you have an iphone, I can give you the name of the app that I use along with the OBDII connection device (it is bluetooth). I have my device to give me "battery days in service" and also SOC numbers that are in the cars computer. For sure it is the days in service that must be reset to tell the computer you have a "fresh" battery and not one that is on its last leg. It will charge them differently. I also am not willing to do this myself but I like to check. "Expect what you inspect" was drilled into me at an early age.
Thanks, but I am in Australia with an Android phone.. :). Probably different setup here anyway.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
If you check on other vehicles, I would be interested to know how they handle this particular aspect.
it seems that most manufacturers simply forego the alleged 'Nth-degree' advantage that the employment of 'charging optimization based on battery life' provides. No doubt in (large?) part due to the requirement to do some sort of active reset only when the battery is changed and the (all too well-known here) difficulty of ensuring that's done when it should be but not when it shouldn't.

At one time there were 'trade papers' anticipating the wide application of batteries with internal logic chips and cars designed to interface with those, making all of this an automatic process requiring no manual intervention (the battery would self-inform the vehicle of it's 'birthdate' and 'in-service date'). I've no idea if any of the high-end marques have actually implemented that yet - that's most likely the market that would 'tolerate' such a step requiring the use of very particular replacement batteries.

This is not Ford's finest hour IMO.
Absolutely gotta agree with that.

·
Registered
879 Posts
… I will probably get my Ford dealer to fit a new battery when required because of the cowl or airbox removal hassle but I will bet that when I ask them to ensure that they reset the BMS they will have no idea what I am talking about...😰
I was actually pleasantly surprised at the price quoted by the dealer after looking up the price of a battery at Autozone. I just let the dealer do it even though I do a lot of my own car service.

I was in for the annual vehicle inspection here in MA. I asked them to check the battery since by build date was September 2013.

Motorcraft BXT-96R-590 ($129.00). Tax: $8.12. Testing and installation: $20 (!!!). No mention of battery reset on the receipt. I'm not going to do it myself for $20.

I did come home and do the reset just to make sure, though. :)

SO PLEASED with the underhood pictures of the new Escape seeing a battery that I can easily get at. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for this.
Follwed it to the T
BUT i still get this error : see image

Does that mean my BMS sensor is kaput?

Reset BMS with Forscan

I replaced battery on my 2014 Escape SE today.
"replacement battery air-box method" thread post 41.

Thanks for the posts here, I know that I need to reset the BMS.

I followed Bobp's post (#114), got a bbfly-BF32302 from Amazon with about $26. AliExpress is much cheaper(about $18), but shipping is 6-8 weeks (from China).

The BF32302 came without driver disc. just a sheet of paper of how to install driver, connect to OBD port, connect to car, etc. Not very useful. ( There are instructions of configuring another production on the other side of this instruction sheet, weird).

Anyhow, I plugged the adapter to my Window 10 laptop, which was connected to Internet. Windows automatically found the device and installed a driver and reported "FT232R USB UART devices is ready to go". As far as I know, this is good enough, I don't need to install any other driver.

But to make sure everything works, I followed installation guide at ftdichip web site, downloaded file CDM21228_setup.exe, and run it as administrator, then followed the instructions.
After this installation, in Windows Device manager, I can see:
Ports(COM & LPT): USB Serrial Port (COM3):
Universal Serial Bus Controllers has USB Serial Converter.

Then I went to forscan website, downloaded and installed ForScan for windows free version 2.3.19 beta.
I did not apply Extended Licences.

Then I connected this BF32302 to my Escape. There is a box on the driver side marked as OBD II. Near the driver's left knee. Open the box and plug the adapter in.

Start FORScan on my laptop.

Insert car key and turn to On position, don't start the engine.

In Forscan, select Vehicle ( the First icon on top left), then click Connect icon at the bottom left. Connect FORScan to vehicle, follow the instructions in ForScan.

After FORSCan finds all modules, click the Service Functions (the wrench icon)

Click "BdyCM: Battery Monitoring System Reset"

Click Play button at the bottom left

Follow the on screen prompts

When finished Forscan reported that BMS was successfully reset.

Check/clear any DTCs

Disconnect FORScan from vehicle

I drove my car for the short trip this afternoon, everything looks good.

I have one question here, some people mentioned there was a battery life number or something. Once I got the BMS reset, this number should be back to 0. Where can I find this number in Forscan? Thanks.

Sorry I could not put links here, need to post more.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #169 (Edited)
BUT i still get this error : see image

Does that mean my BMS sensor is kaput?
I don't think you can 'diagnose' the module itself based on that error message alone.

At the very least I'd verify the integrity of the small 2-pin BMS connector and it's associated 2-wire harness (a known potential trouble point, subject to corrosion damage, the subject of several threads here (try search term 'battery sensor connector')) before buying a replacement battery cable assembly with module.

One man's opinion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't think you can 'diagnose' the module itself based on that error message alone.

At the very least I'd verify the integrity of the small 2-pin BMS connector and it's associated 2-wire harness (a known potential trouble point, subject to corrosion damage, the subject of several threads here (try search term 'battery sensor connector')) before buying a replacement battery cable assembly with module.

One man's opinion.
Thanks.
I will search those threads!
Suspect corrosion might be it

·
Registered
19 Posts

One man's opinion.
Question: how to verify thhe integrity of that BMS connector? That seems difficult at best

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Question: how to verify thhe integrity of that BMS connector? That seems difficult at best
Close visual inspection of the small plug and wires; if in doubt just replace the plug and wire ends with the relatively inexpensive pigtail sold for that purpose. The search I suggested will reveal the Part Number.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Neither am I and I was unaware of them. I wonder if the Ford tech who replaced my battery was as well. What OBD2 interface do you have and where did you get it?
Only reset the sensor if the battery was replaced.

Vehicles without rear fog light key:

Perform steps 1-3 within 10 seconds

1. Ignition ON, Engine OFF
2. Activate the headlight flasher 5 times.
3. Fully depress the brake pedal 3 times.
4. If the battery charge indicator lamp in the instrument cluster flashes 3 times in 15 seconds,
then the reset was successful.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Only reset the sensor if the battery was replaced.

Vehicles without rear fog light key:

Perform steps 1-3 within 10 seconds

1. Ignition ON, Engine OFF
2. Activate the headlight flasher 5 times.
3. Fully depress the brake pedal 3 times.
4. If the battery charge indicator lamp in the instrument cluster flashes 3 times in 15 seconds,
then the reset was successful.
Andykn,

I am afraid that you guoted the wrong post. Slso, as far as I know, the procedure that you have listed id NOT in the WSM for US vehicles. What country, make, model is the procedure you list supposed to work? US models, required the Ford scanning device or Forscan in order to reset the BLM.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts