2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

DIY Battery Monitor System Reset

311K views 286 replies 64 participants last post by  mindlerj 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Apology in advance if this has been addressed before, but I'd not noticed any posts telling us how we could reset the Battery Monitor System when we do a DIY battery replacement (lacking a dealer diagnostics tool).

Playing with my old rev 2.1.21 beta version of FORScan this morning I tripped on the "settings" tab only to find an option to reset the Battery Monitor System (!) You've got to be connected to your FE to see this.

Nowhere near needing a battery replacement I didn't 'run' the option, but everything else I've used FORScan for works fine so no reason to doubt this feature and I was glad to find it.

Get FORScan for windows to run on your laptop here (free) Download FORScan

You'll of course need an OBDII > USB interface cable (might also work with a Bluetooth interface, I've not tried that). Search ELM 327 USB for plenty of cheap sources for the interface (NOTE - ignore/don't use the included and totally unnecessary 'driver' mini disk that ships with the ELM .... most all versions I've read about, including the one that came with mine, have a malware / virus on the disk. No driver is needed for the interface to work with Windows, at least Windows 7, it's a standard USB device with built-in firmware support).

Anyway, just FYI for those that would like to DIY replace the battery and skip the dealer completely.

If anyone has another inexpensive tool that offers reset of the BMS, please share. Not being a "DTC" per-se, my 'generic' OBDII scan / DTC reset tool doesn't provide that functionality.

;)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have noticed the option on FORScan as well. Since I am an early build 2013 (build 09/12)my plan is to replace my battery after this winter but before the next winter. Pretty much my whole every single one of my car batteries has died on the 4 year mark. I will probably go with the OEM battery even though some folks like to bump up the size. I have not experienced any electrical gremlins or battery failures to date, knock on wood. Whereas my buddies 2014 F-150 died on him last month.

#3 ·
The OEM battery died last week in my 2013 base. I replaced myself before reading this thread so had no prior knowledge of the BMS reset. Would having the battery disconnected for over an hour reset the BMS?

Oddly the OEM battery would start perfect then next time nothing. Before replacing the battery I cleaned the positive terminal that had a “terminal” case of the green cottage cheese. Afterward the car started perfect a few times, and then again was dead.

If there is a sensor I received no warning before the battery died, nor received a warning after replacing the battery. The car has started perfect for a week following the battery replacement.

#5 ·
I have a question along these lines. I just purchased OBD Fusion and I have a Carista BT monitor. I paid extra for the Ford Escape 2016 PID's and likely get them for my 2013 Escape as well. The problem is this: I am not familiar enough with PID's and there capabilities. Are there any PID's that you would recommend for evaluating battery health? The idea if such exist would be to view them and let them help me when to replace the battery.

My other option would be to simply replace the battery at either three or four years.

Thanks

#6 ·
You can view all those factors that are used by the BMS for establishing the rate of charge (temp, battery in-service time, etc, etc) but none of those really help you with an 'anticipatory replacement plan' IMHO ..... they are factors used in a dynamic algorithm for the charging system (that data is measured both at-rest and when driving to build a complex 'picture' of battery health for the charging system - not easy for you to interpret independently).

Electrolyte condition (hard to check on a sealed battery), resting voltage, volts/amps at load all can guide an 'anticipatory' replacement plan but some of those are hard to DIY.

Personally I travel with jumper cables and run a battery 'till I need the jump (or have noticeable slow-cranking issues) before replacing. Perhaps slightly inconvenient but I've never been 'stranded' and given the huge disparity in the life of batteries I've experienced over the years I'm loath to 'second guess' how long one will last.

My (now) rarely driven F150 gets a weekly "Battery Tender" top-up and still starts/runs great with 5+ years on a "36-month" warranted battery .... would hate to have wasted all that service with an 'anticipatory' replacement (yeah, I'm a 'frugal type' that seeks to minimize total life-cycle vehicle operating costs).

Reactions: Jammer717
#8 ·
BMS = Battery Monitoring System, the suite of sensors, electronic modules and computer program that determine battery condition and provide data to other systems which manage the charging rate and load-shedding (battery saver) features in the '13+ Escape.

Hopefully the "diagnostic and labour" charge you incurred included the requisite BMS reset, IMHO very likely if your replacement was done by a (competent) Ford dealer.

Clipped from the workshop manual:

Battery Replacement

If the vehicle battery is replaced, it is very important to perform the battery monitoring system reset using the scan tool. If the battery monitoring system reset is not carried out, it holds the old battery parameters and time in service counter in memory. Additionally it tells the system the battery is in an aged state and the
(sic) may limit the Electrical Energy Management system functions.

^^ In that context "scan tool" refers to the genuine Ford diagnostics device used by dealers. The BMS data is held in non-volatile memory (it is retained even when the battery is disconnected) and cannot be reset by any means other than use of an appropriate tool plugged into the diagnostics port on the car to send the correct 'BMS reset' command-code to the Body Control Module (BCM).

#191 ·
BMS = Battery Monitoring System, the suite of sensors, electronic modules and computer program that determine battery condition and provide data to other systems which manage the charging rate and load-shedding (battery saver) features in the '13+ Escape.

Hopefully the "diagnostic and labour" charge you incurred included the requisite BMS reset, IMHO very likely if your replacement was done by a (competent) Ford dealer.

Clipped from the workshop manual:

Battery Replacement

If the vehicle battery is replaced, it is very important to perform the battery monitoring system reset using the scan tool. If the battery monitoring system reset is not carried out, it holds the old battery parameters and time in service counter in memory. Additionally it tells the system the battery is in an aged state and the
(sic) may limit the Electrical Energy Management system functions.

^^ In that context "scan tool" refers to the genuine Ford diagnostics device used by dealers. The BMS data is held in non-volatile memory (it is retained even when the battery is disconnected) and cannot be reset by any means other than use of an appropriate tool plugged into the diagnostics port on the car to send the correct 'BMS reset' command-code to the Body Control Module (BCM).
Well there actually is a way to reset your BMS module after a battery replacement without spending a dime. This method worked on my 2013 Escape SEL 2 liter. First make sure all windows are up doors and hatch's closed, Turn ignition switch to on (Don't start car) wait 10 seconds, then flash your high beams 5-7 times, then press brake pedal 3 times, wait for battery light to flash, Done ! This is for North American made vehicles only. It might also be a good idea to do this procedure when you park your vehicle for the night to let the BMS module learn the true state of your new battery's charge and recalibrate accordingly, Not sure about this last step but with all the research I have done about this stupid BMS Ford uses, There was an article I came across that said to let it sit untouched for around 8 hours, So up to you. I think its criminal for Ford to charge you around 150 bucks to reset this module which takes less than a minute to do, After buying a new OEM battery from them !

#10 ·
OTC 3112 BATTERY RESET TOOL is available BUT it's about $158.00 i think it's on amazon
Caveat Emptor - look at the manufacturer's website as of the date of this post and note that the '13+ Ford Escape is specifically NOT included on the detailed list of covered vehicles for this tool.

https://www.otctools.com/sites/default/files/3112_battery_reset_vehicle_coverage.pdf

https://www.otctools.com/products/otc-3112-battery-reset-tool

Search for other threads on this forum that discuss resetting the '13+ Escape BMS using FORScan freeware with an appropriate OBD interface device.

#11 ·
Does it really matter?

When I bought my 2012 Focus I had an aftermarket battery in that the last guy did DIY with no calibration. It was fine for a year, I replaced it because it didn't really fit properly, and I wanted it OEM

#12 ·
^^^ That's been flogged on other threads, search BMS or battery monitor system ..... then draw your own conclusion that you're comfortable with.

Purely IMHO it relates to long-term optimization of battery life and a one-year 'test' probably tells us nothing. Still IMHO I don't believe that failure to do the BMS reset will have any immediate or traumatic adverse effect on anything. More IMHO I do believe it has a positive purpose relating to getting the most out of a battery over its entire life, so I can't see a reason not to take advantage of the available technology as intended.

#22 ·
Late reply I realize...

A few months ago, I took the Escape in to the dealer because the radio was shutting off within 2 minutes of turning the car off "to conserve battery power"

I had the dealer look at it and they called it a bad battery and the warranty covered it. About a month later, the problem was still there (I don't drive it often as my wife uses it as her car.) Took it back and they told me they forgot to reset the BMS. Oops! The problem has been resolved and now is not an issue anymore. I feel like I can turn the radio on and listen for as long as I want....or I could now even watch a drive in movie! lol

#14 ·
We've already gotten several posts evidencing that Ford's done a terrible job of education on this and some (many?) dealers don't know boo about it (so obviously don't do it).

That doesn't mean that the technology is flawed or without benefit.

It does put an unfortunate burden on consumers to be smarter than the servicing tech in some respects (but then, there's nothing new about that sad fact of modern car ownership).

#15 ·
All 3 dealerships around me know its a thing, and do do it. I really questioned the fact that I could not replace the battery myself, so I called all of them and they confirmed that they do a calibration

#18 ·
From that perspective, the only way would be to get the equipment and check it yourself. I was one who struggled a bit with the Ford Dealer to understand. I was able to get a page copy of the appropriate service manual page and give it to my service adviser who later told me he was unaware. That does not necessarily mean the tech is unaware or it would not be reset but he could.

I confirmed using a "Carista" BT OBD connector and the OBD Fusion app which I have on my iPhone. The app was $10 and the extended PID's were $10. The connector was about $20. The Ford tech was interested if my reading would coincide with his and it did (We checked together afterwards). After replacement, the days in service read 0 days which indicated that the BLM had been reset. Just disappointed it took so much effort especially from the dealer. I do not know if Autozone (or equivalent) has the capability to reset the BLM. They certainly do have some equipment.

#21 ·
#24 ·
After getting the message that my battery needed to be replaced soon, I had my battery replaced at Sam's club, the technician took a long time to do it above it is not easily accessible. Afterwards I tried to reset the battery monitor using forscan. Forscan said that it had clear the message but he message keeps popping up on the display. Looks like I'm going to have to take it to the dealer afterall to clear the message

#36 ·
Wondering if there are any iOS (apple) users and what process they've used to reset the battery in the computer memory (which I find ridiculous). FORScan or Carista?? It just doesn't look like theres enough information listed as to IF either one of these programs actually lists the ability to reset the battery life.

OR can ANY OBDII reset my car battery?? Wondering if this would be an idea for the guys who make the OBD Genie for flashing the radio codes?

thanks,
1bryon1

#37 ·
Wondering if there are any iOS (apple) users and what process they've used to reset the battery in the computer memory (which I find ridiculous). FORScan or Carista?? It just doesn't look like theres enough information listed as to IF either one of these programs actually lists the ability to reset the battery life......
Re: FORScan Lite for iOS - Noting "No" for both "Service Functions" and "Configuration and programming" in this matrix Comparsion of FORScan applications I would say that version would not support BLM reset. The BLM reset is not within the scope of any of the "Feature/Application" categories listed "Yes" for that version.

Re: "ANY OBDII" (code reading/clearing device)" - The BLM reset is not a "DTC Error" so is not within the scope of the 'DTC clear/reset', the function provided by many (most?) 'generic OBDII code readers'. I use a self-contained hand-held OBDII code reading/clearing device which reports (and clears) any DTC generated on any OBDII-compliant vehicle but it does nothing insofar as this BLM reset requirement. So, the answer is "No, not "ANY OBDII" code reading/resetting device will work to reset the Escape BLM". If you are asking if there's any specific brand/model device that does the job (other than Windows FORScan), I can't answer that, sorry.

Hope that helps, apology if not.

#39 ·
Sorry I wasn't clear .....
  • You asked about FORScan for iOS - IMHO that will not.
  • You asked about any OBD device - IMHO not all, I do not know of one that will but there may be one.

Windows FORScan rev 2.1.21 beta through 2.3.3 beta which I have all explicitly provide the BLM reset option on the menu.

I have not yet read of anyone actually trying a BLM reset on the '13-'15 Escape with that, but AFAIK that's your best shot at a low-cost DIY try on your '13.

FWIW, on my '14 Escape I've done BCM, APIM and ACM re-programming using Windows FORScan (free Extended License activated, expired, then re-activated) with a clone USB ELM327 interface home-modified for HS+MS bus access. My laptop is a Dell E6530, the OS is WIN 7 Pro 64-bit. FORScan has done everything 'as advertised' no problem (knock on wood).

I've not replaced my Escape battery but when I do that's what I'll use to try to reset the BLM.

I do not know if the free FORScan Extended License is required to access the BLM reset function.

I do not know if the MS-bus switch on the ELM327 is required for that function. here's how to modify an ELM327 for the switch

The vendor of my clone ELM327 is long gone (or DBA under a different name?), I can't vouch for any specific currently offered ELM327.

Reactions: ndccpf1
#40 ·
Things may have changed for the 2017. While it may still be reset by means already mentioned here, there is an alternative for the 2017 FE. According to the 2017 owners manual, there is no need for the special resetting method mentioned in earlier posts. Page 248 of the owners manual says after replacing the battery, set the parking brake, crank and let run while you set your clock, audio and window bounce back feature. Allow the engine to idle for at least one minute. Next drive your vehicle for at least 10 miles for system to relearn idle trim and fuel trim strategy. Next put your car to bed for 8 hours minimum and you are good to go.

#41 ·
Interesting (I just read online) but I am not sure that is true. I would reccomend that you consult with Ford or your dealer for the 2017 to confirm. The way I read what you have stated refers to the car relearning other car functions. The next page seems to be closer but still raises some questions for me as the owner of a 2013 and 2016 Escape. That next page seems to refer to the battery system taking some time to relearn certain battery state functions. However, does it reset the "battery days in service" and other parameters that are in my vehicle or has Ford made your car much smarter in this area?

#42 ·
I would hope Ford would have made it more user friendly. Many folks like to save some money and do the little things themselves. As I understand it, the 8 hour nap is for the relearning of the BMS parameters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.