2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a DIY on how to remove the stock snorkel on a 2017 Ford Escape. This may differ or be the same for other models.

TOOLS NEEDED:

FLAT HEAD SCREWDRIVER

https://imgur.com/muVTI6t

First you will need to remove the wire that is running the hood mechanism. You can do this by pushing the wire through the top of the holder.

**DONT FORGET TO PUT THIS BACK IN WHEN YOU ARE DONE OR YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A BAD TIME TRYING TO GET YOU HOOD OPEN IN THE FUTURE**

https://imgur.com/0w97Xdz

Second, you need to remove the pins from the cover. You will need to slide the flat head screw driver in the notch of the pin and twist or push up to pop the pin out. Once you do that, you will need to slide the flat head under the main pin to pop out the remainder.

Please keep track of the pins and which is which. There are 3 different sizes that are used during this tutorial. If you have trouble figuring out which is which. The larger ones are for the pins that are closest to you and the front of the car, the smaller ones are for the ones near the engine. The smallest ones are ones that come from removing the snorkel.

Third take off the cover and you will see this

https://imgur.com/TcRGUoT

Remove the pins as the same way you did with the other ones and remove the snorkel. It should slide right out.

https://imgur.com/cW93pJU

And your done.

Re put it back together just reverse the steps.

**ONCE AGAIN DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE WIRE BACK INSIDE THE HOOD MECHANISM, I WOULD RECOMMEND PUTTING THIS IN FIRST BEFORE ALL THE PINS TO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T FORGET**

Disclaimer: Not responsible for anything that happens to your car from this mod or removing the parts.

Benefits: More airflow to the air intake and straight routing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting. Any noticeable gains or benefits?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Don't think I'll be doing this, but you did a real nice job on the photos -- very clear and with them the procedure is very easy to follow. Nice work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. Any noticeable gains or benefits?
Noticeable gains yes, not dramatic though.

Better low end response, and a smidge more power at top end.

Ford focus forums are reporting up to 10-12 HP gain from a snorkel delete and drop in.

Reactions: Rabbit Fur

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't think I'll be doing this, but you did a real nice job on the photos -- very clear and with them the procedure is very easy to follow. Nice work.
Hey, thanks! I tried to be concise with the instructions.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Does the snorkel acts as a intake silencer of some sort?
I wonder if after doing this mod, we'll be able to hear a bit more of the turbo spooling up? >:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like a fun little project. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if after doing this mod, we'll be able to hear a bit more of the turbo spooling up? >:D
Yes in a way, and an airway restrictor. The snorkel isn't even angled to route the air. Just kinda sitting there.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I did this a while ago after seeing it done on the ST forums. I think it helps performance removing it, maybe make the intake noise a little louder, I was planning on getting one of the ram intakes for the ST, but they are really expensive for a piece of plastic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did this a while ago after seeing it done on the ST forums. I think it helps performance removing it, maybe make the intake noise a little louder, I was planning on getting one of the ram intakes for the ST, but they are really expensive for a piece of plastic.

It's funny that you say that. I saw it in your sig a couple days ago, and did some searching in the Ford Focus forums, and noticed it wasn't here so thought I would make the write up for it. I agree that they are pretty expensive, the escape for the most part already has a CAI intake. You could probably make your own for cheap.

Reactions: jaymax

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice one aeguss, I had planned on write up of this last year but just plain forgot. Good little mod to remove the baffle and help the intake breathe a little better. I did think of a 3D printing a snorkel to pick up cold air down further below similar to what the Focus St crown have with velossatech big mouth snorkel, but just don't have time to model one up.

Reactions: Aeguss

·
Registered
210 Posts
There are different versions of this item available on the market now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Does this mod apply to the 13-16 models as well?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does this mod apply to the 13-16 models as well?

yes, I'm assuming so.

Jaymax which posted on the first page of this thread, he has a 2013 which he has done the mod.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FYI I did this on a NA focus hatch (2013) and it didn't do anything.

The drop in K&N was very noticeable difference. 7-8 hp on a 160 hp engine is something you can feel.

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
FYI on my 2.0 2017: Went to look at mine and it looks nothing like the OP's. It is a short, right angle bend -- not long and full of holes like the one shown.

Still took it out, lol. It has quite a small cross-sectional area at the intake end -- tapers down quite a bit as most snorkels do.

So at this point I'm running an AEM dry flow cone inside the stock airbox with the cover on. This means that since the cone doesn't plug it, the side of the air box is open to the wheel well. Between the two I should get more than enough air flow (probably was enough already) but it's still quiet.

I ran it for a bit without the airbox lid and you could hear the turbo spooling some, and the internal blowoff -- but it's nothing special. I decided "stealth" and quiet were more what I was after for now.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Getting a open ended air filter ( K & N #E-9289 ) will help do this for you

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FYI on my 2.0 2017: Went to look at mine and it looks nothing like the OP's. It is a short, right angle bend -- not long and full of holes like the one shown.

Still took it out, lol. It has quite a small cross-sectional area at the intake end -- tapers down quite a bit as most snorkels do.

So at this point I'm running an AEM dry flow cone inside the stock airbox with the cover on. This means that since the cone doesn't plug it, the side of the air box is open to the wheel well. Between the two I should get more than enough air flow (probably was enough already) but it's still quiet.

I ran it for a bit without the airbox lid and you could hear the turbo spooling some, and the internal blowoff -- but it's nothing special. I decided "stealth" and quiet were more what I was after for now.

Yeah, I should have put that I own a 1.5l not the 2.0. Whoops.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yeah, I should have put that I own a 1.5l not the 2.0. Whoops.
Ha ha! No worries. I just wanted to expand the conversation you started. I told you earlier I probably wouldn't do the mod, then did it anyway, lol. Otherwise I'd have no idea.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts