2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ha ha! No worries. I just wanted to expand the conversation you started. I told you earlier I probably wouldn't do the mod, then did it anyway, lol. Otherwise I'd have no idea.
Curiosity got the best of you! Why don't you like the snorkel off? Just too much noise? You can't turn heads if they don't hear you ! duh

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Curiosity got the best of you! Why don't you like the snorkel off? Just too much noise? You can't turn heads if they don't hear you ! duh
I didn't see the need for it as I can't hear the difference in this car, lol. But what the heck. Curiosity DID in fact get the best of me and once I had it off, it stayed off... besides, I dropped one of the clips for it, lol. Likely will never see it again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Is that new? How's it holding up so far?
jaymax, I did not install that diverter thingy, because i have a light bar install where the ford logo is at so that piece of plastic with the ford logo on is had been modified with lot of holes for air to passed through, that diverter thingy is readily available here in Taiwan, some are of plastic and some are of riveted aluminum sheet.

Reactions: jaymax

·
Registered
186 Posts
I removed mine yesterday but it was much shorter than the one originally pictured. More like a horn than a snorkel. Either way, I ditched it. Thanks for the great DIY...made the job super easy and quick.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I removed mine yesterday but it was much shorter than the one originally pictured. More like a horn than a snorkel. Either way, I ditched it. Thanks for the great DIY...made the job super easy and quick.
Mine too, same design. Not much difference, but with the AEM filter the side of the airbox is open and if the radio's not on or it's not too noisy a road I can hear the turbo spool and some "blowoff" noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did this modification to my N/A 2014 Focus. It was reported by dyno to have an 8WHP increase with both drop-in filter and snorkel delete. However, the snorkel delete needed to be combined with a drop-in to reach this number. Just a snorkel delete, or just a drop-in had no changes shown by the dyno.

I have the 2019 (2.0) Escape and plan on doing this mod myself as I still have the AEM filter from the Focus that I had previously.

Also, I currently have the ram-air VelossaTech BIG MOUTH on my 2017 Fiesta ST. I love it. It’s a true cold air intake; especially while in motion. It’s also an excellent bug catcher;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I did this modification to my N/A 2014 Focus. It was reported by dyno to have an 8WHP increase with both drop-in filter and snorkel delete. However, the snorkel delete needed to be combined with a drop-in to reach this number. Just a snorkel delete, or just a drop-in had no changes shown by the dyno.

I have the 2019 (2.0) Escape and plan on doing this mod myself as I still have the AEM filter from the Focus that I had previously.

Also, I currently have the ram-air VelossaTech BIG MOUTH on my 2017 Fiesta ST. I love it. It’s a true cold air intake; especially while in motion. It’s also an excellent bug catcher;)
Thank you for posting the Dyno information. I was looking for actual results, not just seat-of-the-pants dyno :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
i emailed VelossaTech

they replied saying the Focus ST big mouth should fit the Escape....

anyone willing to try? you know...for the sake of the community!

·
Registered
32 Posts
i emailed VelossaTech

they replied saying the Focus ST big mouth should fit the Escape....

anyone willing to try? you know...for the sake of the community!
escape_anne on Instagram has one on her Escape, she told me it works just fine. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
that's not at all how this works

NA engines can respond to less intake restriction and make more power

this is not applicable to our very computer controlled turbocharged engines. they look for boost level by the manifold pressure sensor, regulating pressure seen there with the wastegate. unless you tune it to do otherwise, you aren't benefiting from lower intake restrictions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
that's not at all how this works

NA engines can respond to less intake restriction and make more power

this is not applicable to our very computer controlled turbocharged engines. they look for boost level by the manifold pressure sensor, regulating pressure seen there with the wastegate. unless you tune it to do otherwise, you aren't benefiting from lower intake restrictions.
OK, but using that same logic, the turbo trying to breathe through a 1/4" wide straw or a 3" wide pipe would be the same, and it wouldn't be. You MAY flow the same amount through both, sure, but you're going to have to jack up the pressure through that straw to an insane level to even get to a minimal flow level through the pipe, and the restrictive flow will generate a ton of heat.

An engine is a big air pump, and less restriction on both ends of it results in a better-breathing, more efficient engine. Sure, you can screw up stuff and lose intake/exhaust velocity, and thereby fail to both fill and evacuate the cylinders, but we're not talking about changing valve sizes or cam profiles/overlap. We're only talking about uncorking the engine to breathe easier through minimal intake/exhaust mods (pipe sizing, eliminating bends that restrict flow, etc.) You might not make any more power by letting the engine breathe more efficiently due to the computer keeping power levels down, but mileage may go up since it doesn't have to work so hard to fill and clear the cylinders and the intake charge is more dense due to temp decreases.

FWIW, I did this snorkel delete mod yesterday because I needed something to do with my little kids while my wife's away on a trip with her mom. I also went a bit further and cut a 1" tall, 5" wide hole in the rubber "blocker" just in front of the intake hole (recessed in the grille) so it could get fresh air directly into the intake instead of having to make a trip around the radiator and other pathways to finally make it to the airbox. Since I have Torque setup to watch air intake temps, I found that the normal differential of 8-12 degrees between intake temps and ambient temp were down to 1-4 degrees today while driving. Further, after sitting still for a minute with the engine off (start/stop stuff) and the intake heat-soaking a bit, it returned to the lower temps MUCH faster than it has before. What used to take 45 seconds to a minute now took less than 20 seconds to return to the lower intake air temps. Do I expect this mod to make more power? Nope, not really. Do I expect cooler intake temps to result in a denser charge of air for the engine? Hopefully. I'll know more once summer hits, but cooler intake temps are never really a bad thing, especially at the lower O2 levels here in the Denver area. I'll take all the O2 I can get.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,378 Posts
I was wondering if you can do a snorkel delete on the escape the same as the focus.
I merged your thread with an existing thread on this. Took me a few seconds of searching to find it.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts