2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While researching for my new car purchase, I subscribed to Consumer Reports so I could access their auto ratings.

The 2020 Escape was so new, CR only had “initial impressions.” Still, I used CR ratings among other reviews and narrowed my search to the Forester, CR-V, and Escape.

I test-drove all three and decided on the AWD Escape SE Sport Hybrid.

Then the CR full review came out. The Escape was awarded a score of 62! Much lower than the other two cars.
I read the CR full report and frankly consider it a hatchet job. I’ve never read such a nit-picky negative review.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've never really put much faith into CR. I once read one of their reviews on a Mustang, and they downgraded it because it wasn't "family friendly" enough (small backseat and trunk). Really? Who's buying a Mustang as a family sedan?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
All IMO ...

It's not a matter of "trust", it's a matter of whether or not your criteria and priorities coincide with those of CR across the board.

It's just one of many resources available to shoppers, not deserving of any more particular 'weight' than many others which may have different approaches and results.

Anyone who shops for a commodity (car or whatever) without seeking divergent opinions and carefully contextualizing those relative to their own preferences, biases, and experience is likely going to be disappointed.

With cars at least, we get to take our time to crawl all over 'em, work the 'levers and buttons', and test drive. All too often folks don't actually prepare for and utilize that opportunity for critical examination of a car's features after having done lots of 'homework'. If you let a salesman (or your own self-imposed time constraint) control or limit that opportunity, that's your failing.

Waaay too often we see after purchase complaints posted on this and many other vehicle forums which could have been completely avoided by diligent and well-considered pre-purchase homework, inspection, and test driving. No sympathy from me.

·
Registered
492 Posts
While researching for my new car purchase, I subscribed to Consumer Reports so I could access their auto ratings.

The 2020 Escape was so new, CR only had “initial impressions.” Still, I used CR ratings among other reviews and narrowed my search to the Forester, CR-V, and Escape.

I test-drove all three and decided on the AWD Escape SE Sport Hybrid.

Then the CR full review came out. The Escape was awarded a score of 62! Much lower than the other two cars.
I read the CR full report and frankly consider it a hatchet job. I’ve never read such a nit-picky negative review.
I don't use any one source as a say-all for any major buying decisions I make.

Like Centex's overall opinion, I simply use CR as a data point. For example, they don't typically emphasize performance as much as a car magazine would and performance is important to me. On the other hand a car magazine might completely gloss over the ergonomics aspect of the dash whereas CR will look more closely at it. That is also important, especially these days where everyone seem to be sticking large LCD screens literally on their dash and moving buttons around or getting rid of them altogether.

It's like movie reviews from Rotten Tomatoes vs Roger Ebert for those of you who remember him. Different emphasis, different style, different focus.

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
I think there is a strong bias for some manufacturers and against some within the Consumer Reports ranks. I some times do their annual surveys that ultimately go in to these rankings. The way you do them and the questions asked are very limited in breadth and then they come out praising or hating a particular vehicle. I think there is way too much room for error in the way they collect data and organize it for their rankings. My own real life experiences with a couple of different vehicle manufacturers tells a very different story than what Consumer Reports projects. I don't bother looking at their vehicle rankings at all. I do look to see what they say about appliance companies... not so much a particular model but appliances by each company in general.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought my 2014 Escape based on the CR rating on Quiet Ride. I am glad I did. The 2014 was recommended by CR.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think it's important to put everything in context. If I bought on their criteria I would have a Forester, but alas I find them boring as wallpaper. I find most sources good for weeding out the really bad but not much else. Even truly awful cars like a Versa cn have positive reviews, it all depends on perspective. With the deals on 2020 Escapes I would think (although I haven't driven one) that they are the best value in the class at this point, but then again thats based on my judgement that they are all very similar but none is worth $4-5K more than the others.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've never really put much faith into CR. I once read one of their reviews on a Mustang, and they downgraded it because it wasn't "family friendly" enough (small backseat and trunk). Really? Who's buying a Mustang as a family sedan?
I subscribe to CR online, and I looked at their ratings for the Ford Escape before purchasing one. Nowhere in the CR analysis did they mention anything about the problems consumers have had with Ecoboost engines. If they had flagged this, I would have had more information with which to make an intelligent purchase decision.
I like my Escape; it's peppy, handles very well, and it rides comfortably. But I may not have bought it if I knew how fraught these vehicles with Ecoboost have been with all kinds of problems. Or, I would have chosen a naturally aspirated version instead. I certainly don't expect to get the 180-200K miles out of this vehicle that I've been able to expect from cars I've owned.
BTW, I purchased an air conditioner recently and I went with the one that CR said was 'recommended,' only to find that the unit had serious design flaws. I sincerely believe that CR has begun taking kickbacks from manufacturers to recommend their stuff, or to shut up about their flaws.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Back when they did their evaluations in-house, I subscribed and felt that they were trustworthy. They now show a lot of bias. Entire brands will be downgraded for seemingly political reasons. ?? I now only use the hard stats from Consumer Reports but ignore their "review."

·
Registered
362 Posts
I wasn't going to post here, but....regarding cars,, I don't trust CR anymore than I trust about half of the posts I read on an internet car forum. hmmmmmm

·
Registered
829 Posts
Yeah, the Haval and MG SUV's for instance get terrible reviews from most motoring journalists here but most owners give them great google reviews.
Perhaps many owners want to justify their purchase of a relatively cheap vehicle though. Some tend to criticize a vehicle that they paid more money for, perhaps because they expect more from it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
CR lost me in the '80's. They could not understand cycling an AC unit on and off. Straight GM-think: run the AC and the heat at the same time. Then there's the more-recent inability to successfully drive a hybrid that doesn't carry a T. The Escape report gives you a good idea what mileage to expect at 70+ MPH, and no idea what to expect around town.

Staff issues aside, their car reliability data is worth the price. Sadly, I don't think they print it in one place any more.

Stay well,
Frank

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wasn't going to post here, but....regarding cars,, I don't trust CR anymore than I trust about half of the posts I read on an internet car forum. hmmmmmm
LOL This forum has been pretty good, though. The contributors here have helped me solve some key problems with my Escape.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts