2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my 2021 Hybrid to a new dealership today for oil change, tire rotation... Basically "the works" package that ford has. After the service was complete, the service technician told me the original quote was incorrect because they had to use Full Synthetic oil because the car was a hybrid. I questioned him on this since I didn't think my first oil change was done with full synthetic, but he told me since it was a hybrid it has to have full synthetic. He did give me a $10 discount, so I am not complaining, but is this true? In the manual, I only see synthetic blend for all models?

Thanks
-Dom

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
638 Posts
Another reason for using the best oil is that the oil change in hybrids is based on engine run time, so the car will be "older" than the oil when it's removed. My last change, by the time the oil had 10K miles, the car had 15,600 miles, because >40% were EV miles.

As of today, I've added ~11K miles on the car, but have over 40% oil life remaining because my EV rate is more like 50% this summer. (Winter is coming, so that will change.)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I brought my 2021 Hybrid to a new dealership today for oil change, tire rotation... Basically "the works" package that ford has. After the service was complete, the service technician told me the original quote was incorrect because they had to use Full Synthetic oil because the car was a hybrid. I questioned him on this since I didn't think my first oil change was done with full synthetic, but he told me since it was a hybrid it has to have full synthetic. He did give me a $10 discount, so I am not complaining, but is this true? In the manual, I only see synthetic blend for all models?

Thanks
-Dom
i am so glad you posted this. Just this morning my dealer charged me $156 for the oil change and tire rotation.
i called another Ford dealer; asked how much for the oil change and tire rotation for a 2020 Ford Escape.
The service guy on the phone told me they charged $56.

I then mentioned it was a hybrid. He said, some recommend full synthetic and thus the charge would be twice as much.

So, I came here,just like you, to ask the audience.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As of today, I've added ~11K miles on the car, but have over 40% oil life remaining because my EV rate is more like 50% this summer. (Winter is coming, so that will change.)
I am sure this varies by owner, but do you use the oil life remaining feature to tell you when to go for an oil change, or do you go based on miles driven? For my first 2 oil changes, I used the oil life remaining, but I wasn't sure if that was just a miles counter, or if there is some actual monitoring going on their to determine oil life.

i am so glad you posted this. Just this morning my dealer charged me $156 for the oil change and tire rotation.
i called another Ford dealer; asked how much for the oil change and tire rotation for a 2020 Ford Escape.
The service guy on the phone told me they charged $56.
Wow, that is a crazy price. In CT, the ford dealership charged me $95 for "the works" package that includes full synthetic oil change plus tire rotation. Interesting though, for non-synthetic our price is the same, roughly $55 for "the works" package. The synthetic oil price alone was:
QTY 6 - X0-0W20-QFS $8.77/each total= $52.62

Reactions: invader

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,592 Posts
SMH.... 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 at Walmart is $27 and a Mobil 1 filter is $9.
Talk to your dealer and see if they'll let you supply your own oil, several down my way allow this if a name brand is supplied.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid AWD in Rapid Red
3 Posts
Check the manual. I believe it says semi-synthetic. I did read some time ago, but can't find the reference, that Ford changed the recommendation to full synthetic. My last change at the dealer they gave me semi, 2020 hybrid.

·
Registered
638 Posts
... The synthetic oil price alone was:
QTY 6 - X0-0W20-QFS $8.77/each total= $52.62
In 2015, I requested my dealer do a full synthetic oil change. They went to a local auto parts store and bought Pennzoil.

Now, Ford's requiring what was once unavailable? Sounds like MDP to me.

Full disclosure: I've been using synthetic oil for decades, and will continue using it, and testing my used oil. 66K miles of C-Max oil data attached, and I don't see any engine issues. Water in the oil is a persistent problem that's easily addressed by taking a long drive. Short trips, cold engine, cold weather all promote condensation.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In 2015, I requested my dealer do a full synthetic oil change. They went to a local auto parts store and bought Pennzoil.

Now, Ford's requiring what was once unavailable? Sounds like MDP to me.

Full disclosure: I've been using synthetic oil for decades, and will continue using it, and testing my used oil. 66K miles of C-Max oil data attached, and I don't see any engine issues. Water in the oil is a persistent problem that's easily addressed by taking a long drive. Short trips, cold engine, cold weather all promote condensation.
I don't know much about the data in that report, but it looks like you go roughly 9K-10K miles between changes except for 1 time you didn't even go 5K. Was that a problem with the oil you used (I am wondering if there is some brand to avoid)?

I agree the manual said semi-synthetic, and that is what I did with my first oil change, but apparently Ford changed there tune before my second oil change. I wonder if an update was made to any documentation? I will have to check...

·
Registered
638 Posts
... except for 1 time you didn't even go 5K...
That was a 16 month sample of oil that went the closer to 29 months (next sample) before removal. No issues with the extended time interval, but you'll note ICE mileage is very low. But remember this was a C-Max, with a "dumb" oil life monitor. The Escape Hybrid fixes that.

Thanks for taking the time to read it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts