2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 years in after buying a brand new escape 2017; this happened to both my rear passenger doors (see attached pic). I got it replaced since it was still under warranty. They replaced the whole door with new covers after I reported it in 2020. Now; almost a year later one of the rear doors again started to fluff out :( . Since it is out of warranty (I did not continue with their maintenance plan till 5 years because I wasn't driving the car much and in fact I only drove 2000 KM since my last maintenance which was again a year ago with them).

I got quoted about $500 after discount to replace it. I honestly lost confidence that the replacement will last for more than 10 months now so I don't want to purchase it and will try yo fix it myself.

Has anybody fixed this problem? and what tools did you use?

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 White/Gold Titanium 2.0 AWD
95 Posts
I haven't had this problem with my 2017 but an upholstery shop may able to recover this with leather/vinyl. Before you go this route you can try sourcing one from a junk yard.
I would probably try using a heat gun (very sparingly) and stretching the vinyl back into shape. I would use a piece of pipe about the same shape as the curve to form it back to the original shape and hold it in place until the vinyl cooled off. This vinyl skin is probably adhered to a foam layer that has delaminated. Is the car parked in the sun often? is this only happening on one side?
I have worked with leather and vinyl in a past life and once had a similar problem with a bubble on a door panel. I used an insulin syringe and injected crazy glue into the bubble before heating it back into shape. This was an almost invisible repair that held up well. It was also much smaller than yours. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts