2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I always thought that when i got a nice car. Fairly low miles (58K) good shape, which our new to us 2014 escape is if i took care of the tires and suspension it would "track "! By that term i mean tend to stay on the existing trajectory! Our 2014 Titanium is gorgeous and fun to drive BUUUUUT unless the pavement is dead smooth (with NO wind which is hard to find) here in AZ and when you find rough pavement which is everywhere (It's very sensitive to texture on the road surface) i'm finding that I have to drive it every inch of nearly every drive. Constantly making tiny corrections to the steering wheel.

Now the tires are nearly new Yokohama YK740's. They appear to be capable of another 40-50k. A discount tire employee said to me they are better than Michelins I check the tire pressure weekly. Now it does seem that the car wants matching tire pressure tire to tire. If one tire gets 2 or 3 lbs low that seems to set it off! Drove a piece of freeway i seldom drive this am. It was shucking and jiving (I could feel the irregularities of the pavement through the steering wheel) till i got off that stretch!

In short it's pretty darn squirelly for such a nice car. I don't like that. I had the car surveyed by one of the best shops in Phoenix......Salem Boys...........and they found nothing!!

Is it maybe that the Escape is a short wheel base and a little bit tall. According to the car fax it's damage free!! No irregular tread wear!! Is that just what you get when you get the 2014 Escape?? I'm willing to hear any input!!

Thanks for your time!!!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0l Ecoboost
1,100 Posts
Mines not a 2014, but is at least the same generation. I drive on dirt roads and roads that are full of frost heaves and other significant irregularities... probably some of the absolute worst roads in the nation. My tires are either the OEM or Blizzaks, depending on the season. Mine tends to follow the road without any issues and is comfortable enough. You've had it checked and nothing was found... leaves me wondering... let us know if you ever figure it out. I don't think it is an Escape thing... more of a thing with your specific Escape.

Reactions: Gryffindor101

·
Registered
2017 White/Gold Titanium 2.0 AWD
111 Posts
Mine is also a Gen 3 2017 AWD 2.0. It is probably one of the best handling vehicles I've ever owned. 18" wheels Micheline tires. First thing I would try is switching front and rear tires. You may have a tire with a belt that has moved or some other damage. Nothing can be as bad as my 2002 Grand Cherokee, You can get a DUI in it without drinking. Solid axles front and back.
If you go by all the reviews they all say the Escape handles like a Focus with a higher center of gravity.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My wifes 17 with 18" has more squirm in it. My 17 and my daughters 13 have the 235/45/19's and the stiffer sidewall makes them much steadier. I would be looking at the tires or alignment because none of ours require a whole lot of driver input to stay straight and narrow.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,448 Posts
The shock absorbers/ struts being worn or broken will also cause that sort of behaviour. Has the alignment and suspension bushes been checked? Are you running the recommended tyre pressures- there should be a placard in the driver's door jamb (unless North American models are different?)

This is what's on my Kuga:
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Vehicle

I've also got 17" and 19" wheels- whilst there's a subtle difference in ride and handling between the two- it doesn't wander on the road with either fitted. It could perhaps be partly related your tyres?

Reactions: Tall Timbers

·
Registered
2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid
94 Posts
My wife has a 2013, at one point we had taken it to Discount Tires and put a set of tires on it and within a year my wife said she was tired of those tires because she didn’t like how it handled with those tires. Wasn’t as bad as how yours sounds but it was squirrelier than when we bought it new. We went back to the dealer and had them put the original tires on it and since then it drives and feels like it did when we bought it new.
I think that part of the problem is your tires but I also think you have other issues with the front end too.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Someone posted something similar on our UK site and called it "Fighting with the Steering". Mine is the similar tbh. Small, minute corrections all the time and not like movements caused by bumps in the road. It seems ok on the motorway but it does remind me a little of cars of old. My car has done 62k miles and all new tyres within the last 6k miles. None are worn uneven. I am thinking of getting a 4 wheel alignment check and possibly moving front wheels to back to see if it improves it.

It could also be something worn on the steering which will get picked up on it's annual test in March.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
i find that larger diameter wheels are worse. there is less tire sidewall to comform to the road, so they tend to "tram line" ie, follow ruts, and climb up the sides.

also double check the rear toe. too much rear to in can cause the back tires to fight each other for irection causing the back end to wobble a bit. especially noticable when hitting a bump with one side of the car, or in slippery conditions.
worn bushing in the rear control arms can cause the same.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We have a 2017 with 17 inch bfg advantage and never have had an issue. The car handles sporty. I was told the power steering only work at very low parking lot speed and not when on the highways. I know some model fords had issues with the steering and a coworker said he was driving and felt like he had no control. Ended up being an expensive repair.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have 2017 Titanium w/sport package, 19" wheels, and it does handle slightly different than with the 18" wheels. I also run Run-Flat tires which makes the ride a bit choppier than with the original Continental Conti-contact Pro's which were a bit better at dampening the bumps. I'm just throwing this info in there for reference. Doesn't quite sound like the problem you are experiencing.

·
Registered
2014 Escape Titanium
217 Posts
My wife's 2014, after 36,000m, had new tires put on Monday. 235-50/18's, Kelly's, with a bit more agressive tread than the stock Continental's. She has had no complaint about the handling. She can feel a low tire before the warnings go on. (Must have learned more than I thought, from my racing days.😁) That's the only time she's ever complained. I spend most of my time driving a 2003 GMC Envoy. With it's age, you can imagine it's a bit "looser". I have troubles with the Escape because I over-correct. Takes awhile to get used to it again. Until then I swerving too.

Look closely at the tire tread for belt slippage. If it's there, you'll see it. Doesn't matter how new the tires are, a defect, or a pot hole, can appear on the way home from the tire shop.

Other than that, agree on the toe being off, front or rear. Front caster is a possibility. The more caster on the front, the car will track straighter. But too much affects the caster negatively when turning, and / or struts and springs, which can happen without notice from road conditions.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In 2013 we bought a 2.0 T AWD Titanium OEM tires were 235/45/19 Conti procontact.......zero complaints. After 80,000 miles we traded it in on a 2019 2.0 T AWD Titanium.....exact same tires as the 2013 came with......again ...zero complaints so far!!!!!!!! Bought this one just a couple of months before the new design 2020s arrived...so Ford was dumping the 2019s......absolutely stole this thing from Ford!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tires may contribute. Another possibility (which cannot be fixed) is the combination of a short wheelbase with a slightly high center of gravity.

The shorter the wheelbase and higher the ride, the more "twitchy" virtually any vehicle will feel.

·
Registered
2014 Escape Titanium
217 Posts
Other than that, agree on the toe being off, front or rear. Front caster is a possibility. The more caster on the front, the car will track straighter. But too much affects the caster negatively when turning, and / or struts and springs, which can happen without notice from road conditions.
. . . But too much affects the CAMBER IN A BAD WAY when turning, and . . .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The shock absorbers/ struts being worn or broken will also cause that sort of behaviour. Has the alignment and suspension bushes been checked? Are you running the recommended tyre pressures- there should be a placard in the driver's door jamb (unless North American models are different?)

This is what's on my Kuga:
View attachment 80353

I've also got 17" and 19" wheels- whilst there's a subtle difference in ride and handling between the two- it doesn't wander on the road with either fitted. It could perhaps be partly related your tyres?
It doesn't seem like it ought to be doing all the wandering, it only had 58k when i took delivery

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,448 Posts
It doesn't seem like it ought to be doing all the wandering, it only had 58k when i took delivery
No it shouldn't do it. If the alignment and suspension bushes all check out okay then I'd suggest looking at the shocks/ struts. Having one fail will give those symptoms. I had it happen on a different vehicle and bumpy roads were really disconcerting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts