2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium/AWD
168 Posts
I had this happen today for the first time. I was on the Interstate and noone was on my left (fast lane), I did blinker, then moved towards the lane and the light on my mirror started flashing and I got chirping.

I've never had it before and wonder if it saw the rail/side wall of the interstate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For those who have the 2020 Escape, has any one had the issue where the blind spot indicator will light up when there is no vehicle in their blind spot? i've noticed this on my 2020 and its really annoying. I can be in the curb lane or the middle lane with no vehicles around and its lighting up. Took it to the dealer and they said there no issues. I had my service advisor open a case with Ford about it.
I have a 2020 Ford Escape with the same problem. Just got back after 4 hours at the Ford garage with no success. Understand other owners have the same problem with no resolution.
I had this happen last year at this time. I brought it in for warranty. They fixed it and a year later it is happening again. Now my car is out of warranty. :(

·
Registered
2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid, FWD
6 Posts
I have a 2020 Escape Hybrid with this same problem. Sad to hear. I thought it was just a loose wire or something.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am just used to it now. I actually installed blind spot mirrors which I prefer anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am just used to it now. I actually installed blind spot mirrors which I prefer anyway.
That’s OK, but it is a safety issue if someone wants to use this feature (for which we paid) and it is not trustworthy. I filed a report with the NHTSA. Please everyone who has this defect do likewise. If we get enough registered complaints they may force Ford to address the issue.

·
Registered
455 Posts
That’s OK, but it is a safety issue if someone wants to use this feature (for which we paid) and it is not trustworthy. I filed a report with the NHTSA. Please everyone who has this defect do likewise. If we get enough registered complaints they may force Ford to address the issue.
I agree that to some degree it may be a safety issue since it gives you those false alerts that there is a car in your blind spot when there isn't one and if you rely on this feature then it might cause an accident. Unfortunately it's not easily reproducible or rare occurence and in my experience such issues are difficult to bring up with service.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,715 Posts
I disagree that this is a safety issue. People still have to know how to drive their car safely. Including not relying totally on these types of safety features. They should be used to supplement their driving. To add that extra layer of safety. People should not rely on these completely. I always shoulder check. Even if my blind spot monitor says it is all clear.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I disagree that this is a safety issue. People still have to know how to drive their car safely. Including not relying totally on these types of safety features. They should be used to supplement their driving. To add that extra layer of safety. People should not rely on these completely. I always shoulder check. Even if my blind spot monitor says it is all clear.
I mostly agree with you Vader.

I'll give you my one occasion that I saw it the other way. I drive old school, check spots, etc... I was moving over on my Interstate, fast lane to slower lane, so I was going to the right.

I had checked and all was good. Turned on blinker, started going over, then the light lit up. Freaked me out and I jerked back left... Had I missed something? Did some nut try to speed around me?

So on that one occasion, it felt like a safety issue, since it startled me after I had committed to the move.

·
Registered
455 Posts
So on that one occasion, it felt like a safety issue, since it startled me after I had committed to the move.
Same thing happened to me... twice. I got startled. Both times it was at night too.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,715 Posts
I mostly agree with you Vader.

I'll give you my one occasion that I saw it the other way. I drive old school, check spots, etc... I was moving over on my Interstate, fast lane to slower lane, so I was going to the right.

I had checked and all was good. Turned on blinker, started going over, then the light lit up. Freaked me out and I jerked back left... Had I missed something? Did some nut try to speed around me?

I can understand how this could be somewhat dangerous. I don’t think this is grounds to report to the NHTSA, as another members has did. IMHO anyways.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is another thread with 27 posts reporting this same problem. You might want to check there to see what others are saying.

·
Registered
152 Posts
First vehicle I have ever had with the blind spot feature. It works great on the drivers side to alert me if someone is passing on the left. However , living in the mountains here we have a lot of concrete barriers on the edge of the road to prevent anyone from going a million feet down if they were to go off the edge .Those barriers are only a couple feet high but they trigger the orange light in the passenger side mirror a lot . Don't know if it is normal or not. It doesn't bother me all that much daytime but I suspect it would be rather distracting if it did it at night . So far I had done all daytime driving .

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's worth noting that in my previous Dodge and currently Toyota, there has not been a single time it given me false warnings. Ford must've gotten a bad batch of those sensors from the supplier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree. My 2013 Ford and current Chevy have this feature and they work fine. Like you said, either the sensor or perhaps RF interference. Maybe a wire routing issue? From members of this thread, seems to occur in both hybrid and non-hybrid SUV’s across all trim levels. I have a Titanium hybrid.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I agree. My 2013 Ford and current Chevy have this feature and they work fine. Like you said, either the sensor or perhaps RF interference. Maybe a wire routing issue? From members of this thread, seems to occur in both hybrid and non-hybrid SUV’s across all trim levels. I have a Titanium hybrid.
Have you brought it up with Ford service this issue yet? I haven't been in service since I bought mine 6 months ago but was planning to ask them about this when I go for oil change next month.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have you brought it up with Ford service this issue yet? I haven't been in service since I bought mine 6 months ago but was planning to ask them about this when I go for oil change next month.
Yes... Standard response was given... 'Could not reproduce'.

My dealerships have very bad service departments now (they have changed hands). One of the reasons I stayed in Ford's was that dealership used to have a lot of service integrity.

Honestly, I doubt those guys even tried to check it. Sad.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,318 Posts
I have had this happen on other cars, but it's usually when there's something that the radar receivers can get a return on like a bush or a snow mound in a parking lot.
If you take the fact that these operate in the K band using the Doppler shift to trip a warning it makes sense that they would false from door openers and possibly units on other cars just like a cheap radar detector.

·
Registered
168 Posts
jpohlman, out of curiosity, what do you do in life? You have a ton of knowledge in your head. I do IT work... Just now learning cars a bit. I had no idea they were K band signals.

In my case, there was nothing I could see to bounce off of. It is always the right side, never drivers side for me.

It doesn't happen a ton, but it does startle me, as I think I am about to hit someone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, I was just in for my first oil change. They checked for any error codes and said, “no problem found”.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts