2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium/AWD
168 Posts
Yes, I was just in for my first oil change. They checked for any error codes and said, “no problem found”.
I'm starting to learn that if it isn't serious enough to stop the vehicle or in their face that it gets punted down the road. Hopefully enough report it that Ford figures it out and issues a TSB.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yes, I was just in for my first oil change. They checked for any error codes and said, “no problem found”.
Yeah its obvious it's going to be one of those issues that they will deny... deny... deny... Usually I go prepared by making detailed video of the issue thats worth 1000 words and saves from repeated visits trying to prove it's an issue.

Reactions: FordFamilyhybrid

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you brought it up with Ford service this issue yet? I haven't been in service since I bought mine 6 months ago but was planning to ask them about this when I go for oil change next month.
Mine has been in and out of the shop for the last 12 months. They have replaced all sorts of modules (Body control module) they said would for sure fix it and it has not. My screens go blank, BLIS not working, transmission noises and issues as well.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid, FWD
6 Posts
Mine has been in and out of the shop for the last 12 months. They have replaced all sorts of modules (Body control module) they said would for sure fix it and it has not. My screens go blank, BLIS not working, transmission noises and issues as well.
So, regarding the BLIS, when I spoke to Ford customer care they said they are unaware of this problem. My dealer says no TSB for this issue and they cannot diagnose or fix an intermittent problem. They promised to enter a “hot ticket” to see if they can garner any attention from engineering. If you feel you depend on this feature working to keep you safe, you can enter a complaint with the NTSB designating it a safety issue. That might prod Ford if enough people complain

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve been in contact with the dealership daily. Ford engineers have been working on it with them and cannot seem to fix it. They swore the bcm would fix it and it hasn’t. The dealer doesn’t want to keep bringing it in because they don’t know what to do with it anymore and Ford isn’t helping. Fortunately I have videos and dealer has been able to replicate it

·
Registered
456 Posts
I’ve been in contact with the dealership daily. Ford engineers have been working on it with them and cannot seem to fix it. They swore the bcm would fix it and it hasn’t. The dealer doesn’t want to keep bringing it in because they don’t know what to do with it anymore and Ford isn’t helping. Fortunately I have videos and dealer has been able to replicate it
For BSM issue? At least they see it as an issue and can replicate it. It's an annoyance but I don't have energy to push them to fix this. Glad someone is trying though.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium/AWD
168 Posts
Just as an FYI, many dealers will blame everything on Ford. I have a very poor dealership service department (sales side was nice).

Anytime a dealer starts blaming Ford, I would like to suggest you call Ford and open a case with them.

Often the dealer doesn't really know and they get tired of you coming back, so they blame Ford. Those type of dealers think Ford will fix it 'eventually' and don't even report it. They'd rather have you back at 37K miles for the fix they just 'got'.

Please get a real case # with Ford. That way, if more bad things happen, you have an email trail of what transpired. The Ford Twitter Team is awesome... Follow them, then send a DM. Very responsive on the phone as well.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,318 Posts
jpohlman, out of curiosity, what do you do in life? You have a ton of knowledge in your head. I do IT work... Just now learning cars a bit. I had no idea they were K band signals.

In my case, there was nothing I could see to bounce off of. It is always the right side, never drivers side for me.

It doesn't happen a ton, but it does startle me, as I think I am about to hit someone.
IT for 25+ years, rebuilt my first engine at 15 (AMC Rebel with a Chevy 232 straight 6 in it) and I still like to play with my cars.
So I get to know everything I can about any car I own (and their "brand brothers" eg Escape/Corsair) to the point that I have IDS and the dealer service manuals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m currently dealing with this with my dealership, they have put it to Ford Canada, whether it goes anywhere or not who knows. They have been aware of the problem for well over a year for my escape. I have many videos and pictures of it going off without anything around it, in the middle lane with empty lanes on both side and both side going off. As for it being a safety issue it most certainly is, I don’t think it’s that anyone relies on it for changing lanes but if you shoulder check and then start to change lanes and all of a sudden it lights up do you just ignore it and continue changing lanes? What if you missed something in your blind spot? Usually it ends with me pulling back on the lane change to make sure it’s clear. And I’ve seen impatient drivers who start going around people before they’ve even completed their lane change so if it goes off and you pull back and someone is going around you already or say merging into your lane from an on ramp because they see you signaling to change lanes then it runs the risk of getting messy. It would be better to not have it at all then having it constantly making you second guess yourself if you missed something. And it’s something I paid for so I expect it to work. My F150 worked flawlessly, no reason this shouldn’t. My dealer agreed it was a safety concern once I explained to them how I looked at it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I’m currently dealing with this with my dealership, they have put it to Ford Canada, whether it goes anywhere or not who knows. They have been aware of the problem for well over a year for my escape. I have many videos and pictures of it going off without anything around it, in the middle lane with empty lanes on both side and both side going off. As for it being a safety issue it most certainly is, I don’t think it’s that anyone relies on it for changing lanes but if you shoulder check and then start to change lanes and all of a sudden it lights up do you just ignore it and continue changing lanes? What if you missed something in your blind spot? Usually it ends with me pulling back on the lane change to make sure it’s clear. And I’ve seen impatient drivers who start going around people before they’ve even completed their lane change so if it goes off and you pull back and someone is going around you already or say merging into your lane from an on ramp because they see you signaling to change lanes then it runs the risk of getting messy. It would be better to not have it at all then having it constantly making you second guess yourself if you missed something. And it’s something I paid for so I expect it to work. My F150 worked flawlessly, no reason this shouldn’t. My dealer agreed it was a safety concern once I explained to them how I looked at it.
Keep us posted if you get resolution for this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keep us posted if you get resolution for this.
Will do, I called Ford Canada on the way home from the dealership, it’s being taken back in on the 2nd and the service manager is going to go through it with the tech. I don’t know why they wouldn’t just change out the radar units to see if that would fix it, I know they are expensive but I don’t really see what else it could be. In another group I’m in they mentioned the bracket just above it being changed out and fixing it but they checked that and it’s the same bracket as is in there. Not updated or anything. One would think it’s either the units themselves or the mounting no? On mine it happens on both sides.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah it's both sides for us as well. Could be software or sensor hardware or both.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yay finally getting somewhere. So there’s a call to action for North America for this issue, I guess this just started the middle of may for us here. The fix is the brackets that hold the module in place behind the rear bumper area. Apparently the new brackets are being made in Europe for the European market but the plant there doesn’t have the capacity to supply the North America market. So their call to action I guess is to figure out how they are gonna get them for us. He says the issue is that the bracket sits too far back and the module is picking up the bumper facia/body panel when going over bumps or whatever, new bracket will move it closer towards the panel so it will basically ignore it. He also asked the engineer how it is that a customer can come to him knowing the fix for the issue, being new brackets, and this kind of thing isn’t passed along to them, he was told it’s just because it was only the middle of may when the call to action was placed and it just takes time to get out there because fords a big corporation 🤷‍♂️ At least there’s something happening. He was adamant that the brackets weren’t the issue no matter what I said lol. The phone call from him just made my day.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yay finally getting somewhere. So there’s a call to action for North America for this issue, I guess this just started the middle of may for us here. The fix is the brackets that hold the module in place behind the rear bumper area. Apparently the new brackets are being made in Europe for the European market but the plant there doesn’t have the capacity to supply the North America market. So their call to action I guess is to figure out how they are gonna get them for us. He says the issue is that the bracket sits too far back and the module is picking up the bumper facia/body panel when going over bumps or whatever, new bracket will move it closer towards the panel so it will basically ignore it. He also asked the engineer how it is that a customer can come to him knowing the fix for the issue, being new brackets, and this kind of thing isn’t passed along to them, he was told it’s just because it was only the middle of may when the call to action was placed and it just takes time to get out there because fords a big corporation 🤷‍♂️ At least there’s something happening. He was adamant that the brackets weren’t the issue no matter what I said lol. The phone call from him just made my day.
Awesome! Do you have some sort of bulletin number for this or any other reference you got from Ford?

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium, 2019 Ford Escape Titanium
16 Posts
this is all I have so far. The way he described it I don’t even know if it’s made it to that stage yet to be a bulletin. View attachment 79534
Have you received any update to this as yet? I've been checking daily for TSB postings to see if there is an official word on a fix.
I tried earlier in the year speaking to someone with Ford Canada and they had no fix. They suggested the engineers said that is how the system is suppose to work, which is total bs. Im thinking of asking my service advisor to check into this and see if he can get some more insight from Ford.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you received any update to this as yet? I've been checking daily for TSB postings to see if there is an official word on a fix.
I tried earlier in the year speaking to someone with Ford Canada and they had no fix. They suggested the engineers said that is how the system is suppose to work, which is total bs. Im thinking of asking my service advisor to check into this and see if he can get some more insight from Ford.
No I haven’t received any more updates as of yet, getting them to admit there was an issue and take responsibility for it was a big part of my fight with them. I don’t like basically being called a liar. I’d pull a copy of that email I posted up above and take that to the service manager at your dealership. From what I remember Ford Canada has no real contact with Ford engineers, seems like they are so big no one has a clue what anyone else is actually doing.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts