2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Escape 1.6L Eco Boost. I get a DTC of P0303, misfire on cylinder 3. I have tried swapping the coils from cylinder 4 to cylinder 3. Problem stayed with #3 . Replaced all the spark plugs and gapped them at .30. Problem still on #3 . I then swapped the fuel injectors from #3 to #4 . Problem stayed on #3 . This is where I get lost. It's not the coil, fuel injector, or spark plugs. Began tracing the wiring harness from the fuel injector back towards the PCM/ECU(whatever you wanna call it). Checked the wiring with a multimeter. Wiring is good as far back as I can follow it visually. Not sure where the PCM is located so I can't check it from there. I need ideas other than take it to the dealer as I'm not paying them 100 bucks to plug a code reader up to tell me what I already know. Thank you in advance for any further information you may be able to provide.

·
Registered
792 Posts
how many miles?
Bad coil boots? bad boots can cause a miss.
replaced all of mine for $15.00. it sounds like you covered all your bases.
Pcm is located on drivers side up front under plastic wheel well.
call your Ford dealer service advisor,they are usually very knowledgeable!
they might be able to tell you what is wrong

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
Good job of elimination so far, kudos for that. I can't think of anything you've missed that's not shared with another COP (and the others are all working fine, so not likely suspects). But there's always the COP3 trigger circuit in the PCM :-(

Following FYI to help with more specific wiring checks than just 'continuity' that you can do with your multimeter ...

On all '13 1.6 coil connectors:

Yellow & grey striped should be hot +12v with key in start/run (pin 3) - caution - fused at 15A, F35 in underhood box, could bite ;-)

Black & violet striped should be ground (pin 2) - same caution as above if testing with key in start/run

^^^^^ so you can check for 12v and ground, not just continuity of wire; both these have short runs to an 'in harness junction' with the same wire for the other coils, so only that short-run for coil 3 is suspect since the others are fine; both these might test good 'unloaded' but be intermittent under 'load' in some scenarios.

On coil 3 connector: pin 1 Blue & orange striped is trigger from PCM; continuous run - no connectors between PCM and COP; on the PCM mega-connector the COP3 trigger is 20 gauge on pin 72 - warning, there are other Blue & orange striped wires in that connector (pin 78, 83, both 18 gauge wires). So, if you can get to both ends you could check that for continuity.

^^^^^ Note there are 2 BIG connectors on the PCM, this is the one with 95 total pins, the other has 103 total pins (not all pins are used on either one); the correct connector has a solid green wire on pin 1; the wrong connector has a white & orange wire on pin 1.

'Fraid that testing the PCM COP3 trigger output will require a different tool .... happen to have an oscilloscope handy?

Hope that helps, good luck!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Wondering if this post was sort out. After weeks of random engine stall after startup finally got a obdlink mx that captured a P0303 code have not done all the T/S as @bluevanu did except for the spark plugs replacement. After 91,000kms the car needed that. Some oil on coil packs boots time for that o ring also but not enought for a missfire in just one cylinder. I did notice some minor arcing trace on coils #1 & #2 . Same 1.6T 2013.

Enviado desde mi LG-H520 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Did you clear the code when swapping things around? Did you disconnect the battery and wipe the learned memory? Have you looked at your intake valves? My guess is the injector rail or the injector. I know you said you swapped them but ....

·
Registered
875 Posts
Have not swapped anything. First replaced the plugs... After clearing the code the car has failed at least once. But no codes freezed on memory and of course no current nor latched codes. Guess I will need to wait some more. Now maybe what I need is to ser up forscan on my laptop to be sure. At the moment I am using a fordsys app fronñm playstore.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The thing is that I am affraid of the failure being a coolant lost related problem... Yes, the is misteriously loosing coolant somewhere no one has been able to spot where.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 90K 2017 FE got P0303 last week, so replaced all four spark plugs. And found 1st two has oil leak into.... not sure if a new valve gasket is needed.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
My 90K 2017 FE got P0303 last week, so replaced all four spark plugs. And found 1st two has oil leak into.... not sure if a new valve gasket is needed.
That code indicates a misfire. Looks like you need a new valve gasket. Do you have an extended warranty?

·
Registered
35 Posts
That code indicates a misfire. Looks like you need a new valve gasket. Do you have an extended warranty?
The CEL was gone after replacing the spark plugs.
No extended warranty. Got a quote, replace the valve gasket will cost around ~$400. I'm trying to search how to DIY this job. Didn't find much useful info till now.

·
Super Moderator
5,942 Posts
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same topic. Have a look through the other posts for some possible help

·
Registered
35 Posts
The CEL was gone after replacing the spark plugs.
No extended warranty. Got a quote, replace the valve gasket will cost around ~$400. I'm trying to search how to DIY this job. Didn't find much useful info till now.
After 300miles high way drive within two days, the code came up again. And coolant went o MIN level. I'm sure it's close to MAX before this.

Had dealer checked this, there are two code P0303 and P0316. They used the procedure listed on TSB #SSM 47489 (2014-2019 Fusion and 2017-2019 Escape-1.5L Ecoboost Coolant Consumption Information) to pressurize the coolant around 1hour.

The result, there is coolant leakinto cylinder#3. They used a endoscope checked the cylinder, found coolant. Photo was attached here.

They suggested to replace long block. The dealer was nice, spent over half hour to provide the detailed quote include labor and parts. But the cost is most the trade in price of this truck.....

So far, the code didn't come back after I left dealer.

By the way, TSB #SSM 47489 is effective from March, 2019, to repalce the TSB 16-0150.

2017_FE_Coolant_Cylinder3.JPG

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Trend 2L, Ruby red,Technology pack, SatNav, dashcam etc.
902 Posts
Being a 2017 model isn't it still under factory warranty @bford?

·
Registered
1 Posts
No. This one has 90k miles:(
Powertrain Warranty is 100k miles. Plugs are a maintenance item so more than likely not covered by warranty. The 1.5L and 1.6L EcoBoost engines have a problem with leaking coolant into Cylinder #2 and #3. I've put multiple engines in these cars due to this. It's an issue 90% of them will have eventually. Next it will probably set a "Engine Coolant Level Low" code along with the Cylinder 3 Misfire.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Powertrain Warranty is 100k miles. Plugs are a maintenance item so more than likely not covered by warranty. The 1.5L and 1.6L EcoBoost engines have a problem with leaking coolant into Cylinder #2 and #3. I've put multiple engines in these cars due to this. It's an issue 90% of them will have eventually. Next it will probably set a "Engine Coolant Level Low" code along with the Cylinder 3 Misfire.
The short block was replaced last year. There is no big problem so far. Only thing is that I found there is a droplet oil is leaking out oil pan after driving 3k miles. Will keep monitor this.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Just curious, but is different with the new engine from the old engine? Can’t imagine Ford would use the same defective part.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts