2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Wondering how easy it would be to swap out a 1.5L for a 2.5L engine. I am really interested in getting an Escape but the issues with coolant intrusion on the 1.5L engine and some 2.0Ls is really off-putting to me. Thus, I’ve been playing with the idea of buying an Escape for cheap with the 1.5L and running it until the seemingly inevitable coolant issue pops up and then swapping in a 2.5L.

Tried to search for anything regarding an engine swap between the two motors, but haven’t found much. I’ve never looked at the engine bays of one of the turbocharged engines and the 2.5L side by side in person and pictures online only do so much. Obviously there would be enough room, just looking for potential things or components I’d have to take out/add in to get a 2.5L to run.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want all of the features of an SE or higher. I figure it would be cheaper to potentially drop in a new engine rather than put in seats with heating, SYNC 3, etc.

·
Registered
2017 Red Escape Titanium 1.5L w/Sport Appearance Pkg
56 Posts
I do not think engine failure is inevitable. I also would have preferred a naturally aspirated 2.5 (my 06 has the 2.3) but I'm from an age where turbos meant an engine would need major work before 100k.

You could try buying Certified Pre Owned. They come with a 7yr/100k mile power train warranty (from new). You could even buy online an even more extended warranty for it.

Reactions: LV2FIX

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,592 Posts
You can get the 2.5 in an SE from the factory, it was special order option.
Ford started that after the 1.6L turned people off and the price point for the 2.0L was an extra $1.5k.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
You'd guess the swap wouldn't be too difficult since all the engines fit into one chassis. Would it be worth all the work though? I'm not so sure. Maybe you can ask Ford if they can just give you what you want. Never know especially if you're willing to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Would it be the engine only, or would it require a matching transmission as well?

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
164 Posts
Wiring harness, ECU, engine, maybe transmission (might be able to keep the 1.6L transmission but gearing could be off), I think you'd lose AWD if you had it, coolant system is different based on part numbers.

Anything is possible given enough time and money. It would probably be easier to buy a rear ended and totaled out 2.5L Escape when the time comes. Then you know you have all the parts to make it work, just a matter of how many you'd have to swap.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
this seems like a fools errand.

get the 1.5 and enjoy, and
IF, big IF, the engine grenades. just puta new one in and carryon. these failures are not as common as you think.
1 in 100? 1 in 1000? 10,000?

best bet for the swap, would be to get a doner car so you can take the engine, and if anything you'll need the wiring harness

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,449 Posts
You could get a tuner to "detune" it and run less boost if you're that concerned. In theory that should put less stress on the head gasket. An engine swap really wouldn't be a viable proposition unless you did what Thenorm suggested and found a written off donor vehicle and swapped the lot (engine, wiring, electronics.)

It would probably be easier to retrofit the options you want to a 2.5l Escape - unless you want the panoramic roof.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello,

Wondering how easy it would be to swap out a 1.5L for a 2.5L engine. I am really interested in getting an Escape but the issues with coolant intrusion on the 1.5L engine and some 2.0Ls is really off-putting to me. Thus, I’ve been playing with the idea of buying an Escape for cheap with the 1.5L and running it until the seemingly inevitable coolant issue pops up and then swapping in a 2.5L.

Tried to search for anything regarding an engine swap between the two motors, but haven’t found much. I’ve never looked at the engine bays of one of the turbocharged engines and the 2.5L side by side in person and pictures online only do so much. Obviously there would be enough room, just looking for potential things or components I’d have to take out/add in to get a 2.5L to run.

Thanks!
One thing to consider seriously.... Many vehicle repair centers WON'T repair a car with an engine that is not the one in the serial number on the dashboard. You then are actually driving an "Illegal" car according to the US government. Emissions and the like come into play there. It is not a factory built car, but MUST meet ALL standards AND.. have the original engine. I know of several people that got caught up in that trap. Besides, there is a MASSIVE amount of work to get those different engines to work in that car, right down to the wiring harnesses, on-board computer and everything else involved. May as well purchase a replacement after all the work and money you would spend to do that. Not a good idea at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did the engine swap to the 2.5L go smooth? Any issues or needed extras?

I recently have found a good Escape with a bad motor. Used 1.6L is $2K and found a couple 2.5L with low kilometer and would be interested to understand more about this swap from 1.6L to 2.5L

Any other good threads would also be appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts