2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV - Anti-Matter Blue
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the Ford Escape PHEV has a 14.4 kWh. If my battery is fully drained and I recharge it, the max I've ever seen is 11.72 kWH added. Is the missing 2.68 reserve for the Hybrid?

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV
23 Posts
The battery uses about 10.7 kWh maximum per full charge. The top 10% of the battery capacity and the bottom 15% is not used And remains a buffer which extends the life of the battery. .

If the full 14.4 kWh capacity was used, the 14.4 kWh battery would much more rapidly degrade each year reducing your all-electric range.

The extra 1 kWh you notice (11.7 vs 10.7) is probably the energy lost due to charging inefficiency which is typically greater with 120 volt charging.

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV - Anti-Matter Blue
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery uses about 10.7 kWh maximum per full charge. The top 10% of the battery capacity and the bottom 15% is not used And remains a buffer which extends the life of the battery. .

If the full 14.4 kWh capacity was used, the 14.4 kWh battery would much more rapidly degrade each year reducing your all-electric range.

The extra 1 kWh you notice (11.7 vs 10.7) is probably the energy lost due to charging inefficiency which is typically greater with 120 volt charging.
Ah, makes sense. thanks!

·
Registered
356 Posts
It doesn't seem like the battery has a separate part for Hybrid operations, it just limits how low it can go so there is always 2% left for Hybrid function. Also the maximum SOC is 75% for Hybrid function which is called EV Later. So if you are fully charged you automatically are in EV mode even if you are in Normal or EV Later until you down to 75% SOC.

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts