2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Electrical Issue

7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  machineinkllc 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 1.6l SEL with 81,000 miles. The high beams, turn signals, cruise control and rear wiper don’t work and the front wipers are only working on the low speed no matter what setting you have them on. Mechanic across the street from me ran a diagnostic test and these are the codes that came up.
B112B steering wheel module
B1130 highbeam module
U0214 lost communication with remote function actuation
See attached picture. A friend of a friend is a ford mechanic and this mechanic thinks my issue is the clockspring. All the other steering wheel controls work and I don’t have an airbag light so I’m not to sure about the clockspring being the issue. I’m just looking for some advise.
Computer Plant Output device Personal computer Gadget

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Was the battery replaced recently and, if so, was the BMS reset?

If not a new battery check all the battery connections including the negative ground connection on the body for tightness and corrosion. If all seems fine try disconnecting the terminals and replacing them again after 10 minutes or so.

It could quite easily be something else causing the faults but this is the easiest thing to try initially.

#3 ·
Thanks. The battery was replaced over a year ago. The mechanic that did the diagnostic test for me reset the bms as that was not done when I replaced the battery and was hoping this would work but no luck. I did check all battery connections and I didn’t see any corrosion on bms or pigtail and I also left them disconnected for 15 minutes and no luck with that either.

#4 ·
B112B:87 - Steering Wheel Module: Missing Message - Sets when the BCM loses communication with the SASM over the LIN.

B1130:87 - Light Switch Module: Missing Message - A continuous memory DTC that sets when the BCM has lost communication with the headlamp switch over the LIN circuit.

U0214:00 - Lost Communication With Remote Function Actuation: No Sub Type Information - A continuous memory DTC that sets in the BCM if push-button start function messages received from the RFA module over the MS-CAN are missing.

Ignore the last code, that's a normal/common fault that doesn't cause problems.

The headlamp switch and the steering angle sensor module (SASM) use separate LIN buses to communicate to the BCM. Both of those aren't working currently. The low speed on the wipers uses a separate wire that acts as a failsafe. It is not the clockspring because these signals don't pass through it. Both LIN busses are wired directly to the BCM with no splices or other connectors. The SASM is the module behind the steering wheel that the stalks are connected to.

Because both LIN busses are down, first check the ground resistance between the BCM and the battery. A loose ground/connection/battery cable could cause this. A damaged wire could also cause it. Try changing the tilt on the steering column and see if that has an effect. If so then you have a bad wire in the column.

Going further is going to require someone who's familiar with electrical troubleshooting to look for shorts and opens.

#6 ·
As @EscapeTape suggested just ensure the battery negative ground connection on the firewall/strut tower is tight. Often the nut can appear tight but the cable behind it can be moved around and this has been the cause of various problems mentioned here in the past.

#7 ·
Thanks. I did take the negative battery cable off the battery and removed the nut holding the cable to the vehicle, assuming this is the firewall/strut tower you mentioned, to see if that was the issue but after reinstall it didn’t change anything. I will do this again and check the wire making sure everything is tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.