2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2013 Ford Escape SEL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Ford Escape SEL and apparently when the outside temps get down to freezing, nothing "electrical" in my vehicle works. You go to turn on the vehicle and it starts up normal, but none of the gauges come on, the radio does not work, heat does not work (or air) and the windows do not work. The brake lights, signals and heated seats still work in this condition. I've tried "pre-heating" my vehicle in the mornings to help with this issue, but to no avail. When driving to work, which is 10 minutes down the road, the car stays in that state. Around lunch time, the vehicle is back to normal.

Has anyone had this kind of issue in their vehicle? I'm not sure if it is a bad relay or a connection issue. I've spoken to my Ford service department and they have never heard of this issue.. I've set an appointment with Ford to get a diagnostic on the vehicle on Monday..

· Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,926 Posts
I would lean toward something like a bad ground or moisture in a data bus connector like the BMS sensor.
The cluster is a gateway module as is the APIM, both of which can shutdown all of the above.

· Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,964 Posts
It could be something simple like your battery is dying. Check both battery terminals for corrosion too.

· Premium Member
1,915 Posts
My 2013 was the same for a while until I got a new battery and everything went fine after that.

The gauges lighted up but weren't as bright as they could be and the heater took a 5-10 mins to work as they should. After getting a new battery the lights were brighter but I don't think the heater issue every truly went away.

Reactions: Masonkg

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 Ford Escape SEL and apparently when the outside temps get down to freezing, nothing "electrical" in my vehicle works. You go to turn on the vehicle and it starts up normal, but none of the gauges come on, the radio does not work, heat does not work (or air) and the windows do not work. The brake lights, signals and heated seats still work in this condition. I've tried "pre-heating" my vehicle in the mornings to help with this issue, but to no avail. When driving to work, which is 10 minutes down the road, the car stays in that state. Around lunch time, the vehicle is back to normal.

Has anyone had this kind of issue in their vehicle? I'm not sure if it is a bad relay or a connection issue. I've spoken to my Ford service department and they have never heard of this issue.. I've set an appointment with Ford to get a diagnostic on the vehicle on Monday..
I have a 2012 Escape with the same problems except windows still work and no electrical power steering. I let it warm up for about 15 mins. and one by one things come back on, but the battery lite comes on after everything else is working. That stays on for about 3 miles and goes off and the car is fine for the rest of the day. What did ford tell you the problem was and could you tell me. Thanks for any help.

· Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
7,580 Posts
I have a 2012 Escape with the same problems except windows still work and no electrical power steering. I let it warm up for about 15 mins. and one by one things come back on, but the battery lite comes on after everything else is working. That stays on for about 3 miles and goes off and the car is fine for the rest of the day. What did ford tell you the problem was and could you tell me. Thanks for any help.
This forum is for 2013 and newer Escapes. You should check out escape-city.com for the older generation Escapes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts