2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Escape SE, 2.0, AWD, Electric Spice
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have enjoyed reading threads from other members on how they personalize their vehicles, and thought I may contribute to the reading. This thread may be slow going, so please be patient. I'll post the photos from my intro thread here so you can see how it sits now.

Model year '16, SE 2.0 AWD, 17" Wheels

How it came off the lot in 2018.
Wheel Car Tire Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Currently it has the following changes.

• Visual Garage Shark Antenna: Purchased for easier loading of my canoe, Color matched (Electric Spice) 10/10 recommend
  • New Wheels with a set of winter tires on old wheels.
  • Underpan Chassis in plastic from Ali Express instead of the fiber one.
  • CarPlay enabled USB ports: Cheaper than map updates
  • Sun Visor with Homelink
  • Husky floor liners (Front, Back, and trunk)
  • Some recovery items in the spare tire compartment (Pics later)
  • Splash screen changed to RS logo
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

My Escape in its natural habitat. Seems to spend more time with boats on top than without.
Car Vehicle Plant Plant community Tent

Views of the new underbody.
Tire Vehicle registration plate Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire Tread Wood Bumper Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm not sure I'll get to all of these, but a list of modifications I would like to do.
  • Redline Hood Struts (already on the way)
  • Lift similar to @needliftnow
  • RS Steering Wheel swap
  • Maybe RS badging and caliper paint. I really like the blue accent with orange.
  • Heated Seats (OEM)
  • Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Forscan Changes
    • Disable Seatbelt Chimes
    • Change theme colors
I have a hiccough with Carplay where it won't work when my car has been connected to wifi. I'm looking into disconnecting it, but for some reason my car won't turn off its wifi.

On the subject of the brake controller. I'm contemplating building a teardrop camper, but have also considered the EGOE Nest which is now available for shipping to the US. Problem with it is I often have the boats on the car, which limits hatch movement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on the Apple CarPlay situation. My Escape needed to have automatic updates disabled for me to disable my WiFi. Once disabled, CarPlay works flawlessly everywhere now.

·
Registered
523 Posts
@Elsevere Nice. What are you using for a luggage rack addition for the canoe (if any)? I use kayak racks installed with the high side out to accommodate my large whitewater inflatable kayaks. I like the kayak racks as it makes it easy to secure many 2" X 4"'s to them with bungie cords. I used the plain cross bars to hold down like 12 heavy pressure treated 2"X4"s and the cross bars flexed heavilly and ultimately my newer bungies broke and put a few small dents into the paint when the ends hit. I've found that the side rails aren't high enough off the roof to easily get bungies and tie downs underneath. That is one thing I wish Ford could have re-thought during the design! Once I have the kayak racks installed, securing stuff is much easier. Hope you Escape holds up well for you. And yes, mod to your heart's and your wallet's content!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@needliftnow I'm using the factory crossbars for both my canoes. I have 2 Old Towns, a Charles River 158 and an H2Pro. The Charles river is a little too wide to fit in between the stepped cap pieces that screw into the side rails. The H2Pro goes on fine. I use Yakima folding kayak racks for my Sea kayaks on the factory cross bars.

I too find the factory cross bars to be much more flexible than I'd like. I use NRS straps to secure everything down, but I only put boats up there for now. My paint is pretty scratched up from when I first purchased the H2Pro, as it doesn't have a yoke. When I buy lumber I use a trailer or occasionally put long thin items through the front passenger window into the back and haul it like that.

I have seen the Thule AeroBlade Edge 7502B but never used it. It gives a better than factory appearance. Personally I like Yakima's customer service (Have their setup on my Fiancée's CRV which came off on the highway once, user error). So I recommend them as a company. May buy their feet for my car to use the fiancée's rack.

TLDR: I highly recommend using aftermarket cross bars for aesthetics and rigidity.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed the Redline Hood Struts. Relatively easy and straight forward, and I didn't realize how much I missed having hood struts.

My car has had a rattling sound of tin in the rear suspension for six months or so, and with my father's help we believe we found the culprit. Going to replace the trail arm bushings, as they appear wrecked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts