2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you out there that have a Sync 2 equipped Escape or other Ford (meaning you have the 4 quadrant screen larger screen and don't have the small screen), you can basically activate navigation with a little electronic tinkering. There is a similar thread https://www.fordescape.org/threads/enable-myfordtouch-navigation-via-software-update.63889/ which achieves the same means and some of the directions are what you would do here...but the thread has some older info and I just did it and wanted to share with you how you can do it yourself and do it simplified in 2019. You will be activating the original Ford Sync 2 navigation, not an aftermarket equipment modification or aftermarket software. And man, it works sweet compared to the old suction cup navigation!

Here is the most awesome how to video on the subject to get you started:

Just remember, as I found out, there are parts of the video that have been snipped out and leave you questioning what you missed, why things aren't working and what to do next. The answers are buried in the mountains of comments on the video (which the video's owner does answer quickly and generally thoroughly). The problem with the video is that it is not built as as "Install Navigation On Sync 2 For Dummies"...so I have added the following pictures and text as a guide so you have the items and software you need and do the right steps in order.

1) As stated in the video you will need an OBDII ELM327 connector to plug into your OBDII port as well as into your laptop (and you will need a laptop computer by the way). You can use the link on the video for an ELM327 connector on Amazon for about $30 that the video provides, but you can find one like this on Ebay for under $15.00 (that is new and ships from the US).

2) Also as stated on the video, you will need an A10 map update card. There are a bunch on Ebay for around $22.50 (that are new and ships from the US). I do not recommend you use the Amazon link or even search in Amazon as the same A10 cards are from $55 - $100.

3) If you don't have one, get yourself a USB thumb drive as it will be needed to transfer software.

4) So get those ordered up and give it about a week for arrival. If you have a thumb drive, wipe it clean as to not cause confusion in Sync with other files on it.
While you are waiting for the items to arrive, here is your homework. Go to http://www.forscan.org, click on products and click on

Download and install FORscan on your laptop computer. Then go to https://forscan.org/forum/extlic.php to get a 2 month free trial extended license. It will take the administrators of the FORscan website a few hours to get back to you. Do this before your ELM327 and A10 map card arrive and not on the day of the software install or you will be waiting a few hours for their response! If they don't respond with your membership info, you can't login to generate a temp license key.

5) Also while you wait for your items, follow the instructions on the video on checking your Sync 2 Version. Be mindful that my Ford had a higher numerical number than the Sync versions 3.08 or 3.1 needed for the navigation install, causing confusion. The video has examples of the different software versions out there on different Sync 2 versions and Ford vehicles...but you really need to download the 3.1 version here, unless you already have 3.08 or 3.1 as your Sync version when you check. To do the update, after you download the file, be sure to place the 2 or 3 main files after opening with Winzip or Winrar into the root of the thumb drive (not the downloaded file itself). The Escape can unzip some of the files itself, just not the original download file. Next have your Escape running (outside of course). Put in the thumb drive. If you put the few files in the root directory, the Sync 2 install should start by itself. There are other videos on Youtube for this if you need it, but remember the system will update and shut on and off a few times. Don't panic about the screen going black for a minute here or there. Just keep the car running and wait till it is complete. You should do a "Master Reset" of Sync 2 at this point.

6) Also while you wait for your items, download the file Navipatch. It is a png picture file. Install it a background for your MFT (My Ford Touch) and make that your background. It will display a blue bar across the bottom with the word "UNLOCK" on it. You will need to use this file later on to do it's magic. More to follow...

7) One more thing while you are waiting for your items, download the navigation application file for Sync 3.1 here. In my 2014 Escape SE, there was no mention navigation software being installed when I checked my Sync version, as it would be in the same place. I cleared out the thumb drive again, unzipped the downloaded file and put the 2 or 3 main files on the root of the thumb drive. Get your Escape running (outside of course). Put it into the Escape's USB ports (just like with the Sync 2 version update). It should start the Sync 2 install update by itself. If not, you can go under settings and install software to do this step. If the installation starts working, you will know it. If you get some USB error, you will need to make sure you only have the 2 or 3 files after unzipping the install file in the root of the thumb drive. I literally installed the navigation software 3 or 4 different times and it still would not register on Sync's software versions as it did for the user in the video. Don't panic, IT'S THERE! If it isn't you can add it again later...but you will need to wipe the thumb drive clean once more and then put the files back on it, as the system gets finicky.

8) So now you have the ELM327 OBDII connector and the A10 map card and you are ready to roll. First make sure you have wireless internet where you park your vehicle or at least register your temp extended license key for FORscan before bringing the laptop to the vehicle. Look for the OBDII access on the lower Left side of the steering wheel on the dash (right side on righ4t drive vehicles). There will be the letters for OBDII stated right on the panel that you need to pull open for access to the port. Once open, plug in the ELM327 with the switch set to "HS". My ELM327 didn't have any indication as to what way was what for the switch, so I put a sticker on it first indicating the HS and MS directions per the pictures on the for sale ad. You don't need a fancy ELM327. The $15.00 one worked just fine for me. Also plug the ELM327 into a USB slot on the laptop computer. Fire up FORscan and follow the instructions carefully on the video from there. Some of the original instructions from the earlier thread now come into play:
Use the APIM configuration method.
Edit the 7D0-01-02 entry from as-built 0008 2300 0409 to 0408 2300 0409.
From the video and what is here and what I saw on FORscan for my Escape, I think the numbers vary from Ford to Ford...but the one constant is the second digit always gets changed from a 0 to a 4. That activates navigation, and restarts Sync 2.
What ground my gears was after the restart and even a "master reset" (as the comments on the video suggested), I still had the large compass in the upper right.

9) The final trick to engage navigation and make the navigation application show up in the system info screen, as to go back to selecting a background to display on the MFT. (My Ford Touch) Pick the Navipatch from the backgrounds list on the right side again. Even though you had the "UNLOCK" text in the blue bar on the background, that is not what will engage navigation. Tap or double tap on the Navipatch on the left, or tap select again and BAM, it will say "Navigation Unlocked". Navipatch has now done it's thing. Do a "master reset" one last time and you will see the compass smaller in the upper right quadrant this time. It will tell you to put in the navigation map SD card. Install the card inside your center console, where it must be left plugged in at all times. No, you can't just put it in once and the system magically remember everything so you can return it and get your money back! Nice try. Believe me, I tried that too! Now unlike the video, I did not see an address under the compass. After I unhooked the laptop and ELM327 connector, I took the Escape for a drive and tested out my awesome new navigation. After like 15 minutes of driving, the street started showing up under the compass as it should. Also, if you check the system info now, you will see the navigation software version you installed earlier (that did not appear earlier).

I really hope this helps someone make their Escape more usable and more valuable too. For under $50.00 for an ELM327 connector and an A10 map card, a few bucks in gas (to update Sync and navigation software) and a few hours in research and a few minutes in software tinkering, you can make all this happen. You don't have to take the center of the cash apart and replace the control module behind the touchscreen display with one from a wreck of a modifier. Nor do you have to pay $300 to $1,000 for that sort of stuff either (as many charge aftermarket). You can do it for $50.00 just like me. Good luck out there and happy moddin'!

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the images of the FORScan install process.

The above picture shows you need to select the APIM Module Configuration (AS BUILT format)...(which I did not highlight in blue on the right). For some reason the newer FORscan I downloaded had more options than the FORscan showed in the video on the left.

Reactions: Paws112

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sync 2 before FORscan modification now showing the navigation appt, then afterwards (sorry the picture is blurry).

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lastly, the final product. Enjoy!

You'll notice it says "Insert Nav SD Card" on the upper right. Once you do that, you are all set. The compass is smaller. Mission accomplished! Enjoy your sat nav!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,337 Posts
@needliftnow does this procedure also enable the turn-by-turn directions on the small screen in the instrument cluster (visible as a turn approaches when navigating to a destination)?

In any case, thanks for this sorely needed update providing the latest procedure and links for SYNC2 software NAV enable! (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@centex, Thank you. I believe it has all the map functionality as it should. There is a secondary map on the right that appears as I approach intersections. That being said, I have not used it on the highway yet to see it's accuracy for lane selection for exits, etc... It operates a bit differently than the ol' suction cup model! For example, on the lower left of Sync 2 navigation, it shows the total drive time and time left to get to arrival...instead of the clock time of arrival. Not worse, just different, and smaller. I will need to use my glasses to see the small font or just ignore it and go by the map on the nice, big screen! I'm liking it so far and I assume it is what is the same navigation as what is standard in Titanium models and higher options packages. It really feel like I have a special new functionality that I wouldn't have otherwise and it is nice to have.

Oh. I am getting used to the three icons in the lower middle with the newer Sync 2 version compared to the two on the former version. Other than that, Sync 3.1 seems to be much the same as the former version I had. Before I forget, after doing the last master reset, the backgrounds are deleted I had saved for the display. There is no longer a need for the Navipatch picture. Once navigation is installed, you're all set. I've uploaded a bunch of my regular backgrounds and some new ones to get the screen I want. That is something sorely missing on Sync 3 and makes me appreciate Sync 2.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I forgot to mention. After doing a few master resets for the above processes to update first Sync, then add and activate navigation program, there was no problem with Sirius XM recognizing my Escape's radio and it's subscription I paid for. Granted of the 3 different Sirius SM favorites screens were reset with default favorite channels, once you click away from the first station playing on each of those 3 screens, the broadcast to enroll in Sirius XM goes away. The system then recognizes that you are a subscriber and you can save your favorite channels to your liking.

The navigation program is truly better than the suction cup model I had, but still offers you no roads in the "outback" once you get off the beaten path. The system just is reminding you that you are in the middle of nowhere! Always remember a good ol' map or gazetteer as you never know when you will need it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a big trip today and made full use of the Sync 2/My Ford touch sat nav. It worked well overall. I did realize that it will not allow setting a destination while in motion...no doubt a safety feature. Sometimes I wish the right zoom in screen would be a bit more detailed or appear sooner that it does...as it caused a few confusing situations. Thta being said, I had tht same problem with my old suction cup Garmin...so the problem is a flaw found in most sat nav systems out there. At least the speed limit appears on the lower part of the screen along with the road that you are on. That and the screen is nice and large. The sat nav addition is one of the most useful additions Sync 2 users can make, well worth the time, research and the $50 needed for the ELM327 diagnostic connection tool and the newest navigation map card.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here are the images of the FORScan install process. View attachment 74832

View attachment 74833

View attachment 74834

View attachment 74835

View attachment 74836

The above picture shows you need to select the APIM Module Configuration (AS BUILT format)...(which I did not highlight in blue on the right). For some reason the newer FORscan I downloaded had more options than the FORscan showed in the video on the left.
i have that screen but i cant get the apim module to open,i click and nothing happens at all?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@jtripper74, I'm not as big of an expert at Forscan as others, but it sounds like you do not have the registered version and the system is denying you access to that...as it allows more heavy modification of My Ford Touch systems. Try to search Forscan help forums to get the answer. I thing I had that issue too, and all I did was get a 60 day verrification code from the owners of the site for free (I had to wait for them to email me the code before I could do anything). The answers are on Forscan, so please search there or on Youtube.

Reactions: ozzy44

·
Registered
8 Posts
Followed these instructions for my 2015 Ford Escape/Titanium and it worked well. After I installed the SD card, it didn't recognize the navigation right away, and touching the Information select on the upper right brought up a blank info screen and a yellow exclamation point. After about ten days of starting and stopping the car, one morning it just showed up with the smaller compass and named the street I was driving on. Probably should have done a system reset after installing the card, but couldn't find it with the Information quadrant no longer showing anything. Anyway, thanks for the step-by-step, it really helped.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Richard A, you're welcome! Sorry you had a tougher time but glad you got it going. It is really great that we can add factory sat/nav on our My Ford Touch/Sync 2 Escapes for literally $50.00! It sure beats the ol' suction cup thingamabobbers, doesn't it!?!? My issue during the whole update was I must have installed the navigation software 3 or 4 times and it didn't show on the apps listing. I thought I was doing something wrong and did a master reset 2 times and still no change. It is when I finally figured out that Navipatch "Navi Unlocked" thing, then everything started showing up and working correctly after the following master reset.

For anybody else trying this out, get the A10 map card with the newest map info and the newest software version...as it does work. You might as well have the newest maps and places of interest when doing this and not something from 4 years ago on an older map card.

By the way, if anybody has Sync 3 and did some similar Forscan update and install of navigation, please create an entirely new thread with that info and just share the link here for reference. This thread is for My Ford Touch/Sync 2 navigation install and I don't want to get users confused. I would be interested to see if someone has done that as I am sure there are many owners that could use navigation on their Sync 3 Escapes as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There isn't really a good place to prop up your smartphone, is there, and those suction cup/grab the air vent thingies never always work well? My wife was looking into that device advertised on TV that mount in one of the coffee cup holders, but that ties up a cup holder. I was looking into whether it would be possible to use the bluetooth connection to send the Google Maps images to the screen when I stumbled across this hack. Much better and doesn't drain my phone's battery. Odd that you need to install a background image to get it working.
I got the A9 map because it's quite a bit cheaper and not that much different for the driving I'll be doing. I'll upgrade in a few years.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I am glad you got a goot deal on the A9 card. When I searched a few months ago, the A10 card was cheaper on Ebay than the older ones. I guess the pricing always changes. Enjoy your nav!

·
Registered
248 Posts
First of all I am new to the site and a new to me escape owner. (Two weeks) Previously had an 06 Escape Hybrid as a daily driver, stepped up to a new to me 13 Titanium, all i can say is wow!!! Any way it had everything except Navigation and trailer tow. I read the install and had seen the DIY Reid video and after reading all the comments several times had the basic idea of what to do.Finding this site and the post by needliftnow It made the install very simple. I did this in about 50 minutes I purchased an A10 map card from eBay which came with a 3.10 SYNK update and Navigation update, Installed it then using Forscan Reset my battery module, (unrelated) and reset the number, then installed the NAVIPATCH download from my thumb drive sis a master reset installed my A10 map card a there it is!!! not bad for a 70 year old!!!! Thanks again for the helpful information!!!! Chuck

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@chucksbp, I am glad it worked out for you. When I first read about people tearing their dash apart and installing navi-installed computer modules from junkyard wrecks or paying $700 for the equivalent of that online, I lost interest a few years ago. But after seeing that video, I thought it might be within my abilities. I'm glad I persevered and I am glad that just about anyone can do this. It's great, isn't it?

So the navigation we have is the same as all Escapes, but compared to the suction cup model that kept on falling off the glass, this is what I have to report after 6 months of Ford navigation:
1) The navigation is pretty accurate overall, but I did have a few instances where highway turnoffs weren't in the correct position on the map compared to the road...so I wound up taking a wrong exit a couple of times.
2) Like suction-cup navigation, the Ford navigation requires the user to zoom in in metropolitan areas to be in the correct land and not miss a street...something hard to do driving in general (and probably not a safe thing either).
3) I wish some fonts were larger. The fonts are not modifiable and I found it a bit hard to see the small font for the estimated arrival time.
4) The arrival times seemed to be a bit inaccurate for traffic for certain times of the day.

I'll take those small shortcomings compared to the suction cup models anyway. And it is the same navigation that is Escapes that came from the factory like that. Enjoy your navigation!It really comes in handy when you need it and it does beet fumbling around for maps!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I really like the Ford Navigation in my Escape. I have an older small screen navigation unit and its nothing like this factory Nav. I like the fact that even when not in use it lets you know where you are at all the time, let alone the voice activation. In my case I like you started looking to install the navigation because I didn't find the alternatives to my liking. I saw DIY REID'S video but it was missing some steps, although if you read the questions and answers it became more clear. When I saw your post I knew it was complete and doable. For me I had not issues finding out exactly how to properly get the info on the thumb drive than doing the install. I was a little nervous about doing the Forscan. I have put tunes in a couple of my trucks with SCT devices for over ten years, and have heard the many horror stories on forums although I learned years ago to keep a battery charger on when doing any changes. And I must say your instructions worked to a T. Yes any one that has reading skills and minimal computer skills can do this instalation! Thanks again for taking time for the write-up!

Reactions: ozzy44

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lastly, the final product. Enjoy!

View attachment 74840

You'll notice it says "Insert Nav SD Card" on the upper right. Once you do that, you a uuure all set. The compass is smaller. Mission accomplished! Enjoy your sat nav!
HELP!!! I'm going to pull my hair out over this!
I updated Sync and I had a little trouble installing the Nav , but I swear it finally installed. Of course I did a master reset , which removes the Navipatch, but nothing... No Nav listed in system settings and now It wont let me install the Nav again.. I get the same error, 'The file has run out of space OR this is not the correct version."
please advise

·
Registered
248 Posts
Look in the settings and see what version of sync you have and if navigation is there. Nav patch won't be visable it just dissapears. It's just info that needs to be in the APIM. HAVE YOU done Forscan yet? Nothing will happen until you change the didget with Forscan.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Touch the settings button lower middle of screen two gears then help and system information, you should see your ccpu s/w version and below that navigation version . Did you pick the correct nav app for the software update you used. Where did you get the update from? And most importantly are you sure you got it on the thumb drive correctly that can be a problem if your not computer literate.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts