2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Do you have the correct version of sync for the navigation you are using?

·
Registered
2015 Escape 1.6L Turbo SE 4WD
68 Posts
Well I am glad you got a goot deal on the A9 card. When I searched a few months ago, the A10 card was cheaper on Ebay than the older ones. I guess the pricing always changes. Enjoy your nav!
Hi, I am a noob to the forum. I am in the process of adding navigation to my '15 Escape with MFT/sync 2, the V3.1 update has been done and am waiting for my BBfly-Vint-TT555-02 OBD interface along with an A10 card. I had quite a bit of trouble trying to get the free license key loaded. I ended up generating the download FOUR times, really must have screwed something up, was getting "the key for this hardware ID already exists"! After a couple of days, I finally gave in and PURCHASED the $10 one year license, figured $10 is not going to implode my bank account! Ok, so I plugged in the activation code and BINGO, like magic I got my 1 year registered license! I just have one question. Does the navigation have turn by turn VOICE prompts?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hi, I am a noob to the forum. I am in the process of adding navigation to my '15 Escape with MFT/sync 2, the V3.1 update has been done and am waiting for my BBfly-Vint-TT555-02 OBD interface along with an A10 card. I had quite a bit of trouble trying to get the free license key loaded. I ended up generating the download FOUR times, really must have screwed something up, was getting "the key for this hardware ID already exists"! After a couple of days, I finally gave in and PURCHASED the $10 one year license, figured $10 is not going to implode my bank account! Ok, so I plugged in the activation code and BINGO, like magic I got my 1 year registered license! I just have one question. Does the navigation have turn by turn VOICE prompts?
Yes, it does have turn by turn voice commands. I'm glad you got in through FORSCAN. I think with the holiday weekend there probably was very few people (if any) on to approve the free license. It really is a nice hack tool for every day people like us. I'm sure there is a lot more than navigation you can do with it, but navigation is like the top of everyone's wish list! Enjoy!

Reactions: chucksbp

·
Registered
250 Posts
Go to system information and make sure your system is showing the correct Sync version as well as the navigation software. Did you do a system reset???

Reactions: needliftnow

·
Registered
183 Posts
I installed nav in my sons 2014 following the instructions in this. Every things works great but there is no turn by turn in the instrument panel like my factory installed nav in my 2014. Is their a way to enable it? It probably is in the IPC. settings somewhere.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The instrument cluster turn indicator question has popped up here a lot. Since my install, I have not had such a feature enabled, and I don't think anyone on this forum here has. Now I have found a Youtube video on how to enable the feature with FORSCAN on Sync 3...just not with Sync 2. May I humbly suggest that someone trying to activate that particular feature post the question directly on the FORSCAN forum questions. Hopefully one of the advanced IT people involved there can tell you if it is possible and what #'s need to be changed to to make it happen. If you do find an answer, please post it here. Personally I have had no issues with the voice commands and prefer the large display in the center dash compared to the small font and icons in the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
68 Posts
For those of you out there that have a Sync 2 equipped Escape or other Ford (meaning you have the 4 quadrant screen larger screen and don't have the small screen), you can basically activate navigation with a little electronic tinkering. There is a similar thread Enable MyFordTouch Navigation (via software update) which achieves the same means and some of the directions are what you would do here...but the thread has some older info and I just did it and wanted to share with you how you can do it yourself and do it simplified in 2019. You will be activating the original Ford Sync 2 navigation, not an aftermarket equipment modification or aftermarket software. And man, it works sweet compared to the old suction cup navigation!

Here is the most awesome how to video on the subject to get you started:

Just remember, as I found out, there are parts of the video that have been snipped out and leave you questioning what you missed, why things aren't working and what to do next. The answers are buried in the mountains of comments on the video (which the video's owner does answer quickly and generally thoroughly). The problem with the video is that it is not built as as "Install Navigation On Sync 2 For Dummies"...so I have added the following pictures and text as a guide so you have the items and software you need and do the right steps in order.

1) As stated in the video you will need an OBDII ELM327 connector to plug into your OBDII port as well as into your laptop (and you will need a laptop computer by the way). You can use the link on the video for an ELM327 connector on Amazon for about $30 that the video provides, but you can find one like this on Ebay for under $15.00 (that is new and ships from the US).

2) Also as stated on the video, you will need an A10 map update card. There are a bunch on Ebay for around $22.50 (that are new and ships from the US). I do not recommend you use the Amazon link or even search in Amazon as the same A10 cards are from $55 - $100.

3) If you don't have one, get yourself a USB thumb drive as it will be needed to transfer software.

4) So get those ordered up and give it about a week for arrival. If you have a thumb drive, wipe it clean as to not cause confusion in Sync with other files on it.
While you are waiting for the items to arrive, here is your homework. Go to http://www.forscan.org, click on products and click on

Download and install FORscan on your laptop computer. Then go to FORScan forum - Login to get a 2 month free trial extended license. It will take the administrators of the FORscan website a few hours to get back to you. Do this before your ELM327 and A10 map card arrive and not on the day of the software install or you will be waiting a few hours for their response! If they don't respond with your membership info, you can't login to generate a temp license key.

View attachment 74822

5) Also while you wait for your items, follow the instructions on the video on checking your Sync 2 Version. Be mindful that my Ford had a higher numerical number than the Sync versions 3.08 or 3.1 needed for the navigation install, causing confusion. The video has examples of the different software versions out there on different Sync 2 versions and Ford vehicles...but you really need to download the 3.1 version here, unless you already have 3.08 or 3.1 as your Sync version when you check. To do the update, after you download the file, be sure to place the 2 or 3 main files after opening with Winzip or Winrar into the root of the thumb drive (not the downloaded file itself). The Escape can unzip some of the files itself, just not the original download file. Next have your Escape running (outside of course). Put in the thumb drive. If you put the few files in the root directory, the Sync 2 install should start by itself. There are other videos on Youtube for this if you need it, but remember the system will update and shut on and off a few times. Don't panic about the screen going black for a minute here or there. Just keep the car running and wait till it is complete. You should do a "Master Reset" of Sync 2 at this point.

View attachment 74825

View attachment 74823

View attachment 74824

View attachment 74826

6) Also while you wait for your items, download the file Navipatch. It is a png picture file. Install it a background for your MFT (My Ford Touch) and make that your background. It will display a blue bar across the bottom with the word "UNLOCK" on it. You will need to use this file later on to do it's magic. More to follow...

7) One more thing while you are waiting for your items, download the navigation application file for Sync 3.1 here. In my 2014 Escape SE, there was no mention navigation software being installed when I checked my Sync version, as it would be in the same place. I cleared out the thumb drive again, unzipped the downloaded file and put the 2 or 3 main files on the root of the thumb drive. Get your Escape running (outside of course). Put it into the Escape's USB ports (just like with the Sync 2 version update). It should start the Sync 2 install update by itself. If not, you can go under settings and install software to do this step. If the installation starts working, you will know it. If you get some USB error, you will need to make sure you only have the 2 or 3 files after unzipping the install file in the root of the thumb drive. I literally installed the navigation software 3 or 4 different times and it still would not register on Sync's software versions as it did for the user in the video. Don't panic, IT'S THERE! If it isn't you can add it again later...but you will need to wipe the thumb drive clean once more and then put the files back on it, as the system gets finicky.

View attachment 74828

8) So now you have the ELM327 OBDII connector and the A10 map card and you are ready to roll. First make sure you have wireless internet where you park your vehicle or at least register your temp extended license key for FORscan before bringing the laptop to the vehicle. Look for the OBDII access on the lower Left side of the steering wheel on the dash (right side on righ4t drive vehicles). There will be the letters for OBDII stated right on the panel that you need to pull open for access to the port. Once open, plug in the ELM327 with the switch set to "HS". My ELM327 didn't have any indication as to what way was what for the switch, so I put a sticker on it first indicating the HS and MS directions per the pictures on the for sale ad. You don't need a fancy ELM327. The $15.00 one worked just fine for me. Also plug the ELM327 into a USB slot on the laptop computer. Fire up FORscan and follow the instructions carefully on the video from there. Some of the original instructions from the earlier thread now come into play:
Use the APIM configuration method.
Edit the 7D0-01-02 entry from as-built 0008 2300 0409 to 0408 2300 0409.
From the video and what is here and what I saw on FORscan for my Escape, I think the numbers vary from Ford to Ford...but the one constant is the second digit always gets changed from a 0 to a 4. That activates navigation, and restarts Sync 2.
What ground my gears was after the restart and even a "master reset" (as the comments on the video suggested), I still had the large compass in the upper right.

9) The final trick to engage navigation and make the navigation application show up in the system info screen, as to go back to selecting a background to display on the MFT. (My Ford Touch) Pick the Navipatch from the backgrounds list on the right side again. Even though you had the "UNLOCK" text in the blue bar on the background, that is not what will engage navigation. Tap or double tap on the Navipatch on the left, or tap select again and BAM, it will say "Navigation Unlocked". Navipatch has now done it's thing. Do a "master reset" one last time and you will see the compass smaller in the upper right quadrant this time. It will tell you to put in the navigation map SD card. Install the card inside your center console, where it must be left plugged in at all times. No, you can't just put it in once and the system magically remember everything so you can return it and get your money back! Nice try. Believe me, I tried that too! Now unlike the video, I did not see an address under the compass. After I unhooked the laptop and ELM327 connector, I took the Escape for a drive and tested out my awesome new navigation. After like 15 minutes of driving, the street started showing up under the compass as it should. Also, if you check the system info now, you will see the navigation software version you installed earlier (that did not appear earlier).

View attachment 74829

View attachment 74830

View attachment 74831

I really hope this helps someone make their Escape more usable and more valuable too. For under $50.00 for an ELM327 connector and an A10 map card, a few bucks in gas (to update Sync and navigation software) and a few hours in research and a few minutes in software tinkering, you can make all this happen. You don't have to take the center of the cash apart and replace the control module behind the touchscreen display with one from a wreck of a modifier. Nor do you have to pay $300 to $1,000 for that sort of stuff either (as many charge aftermarket). You can do it for $50.00 just like me. Good luck out there and happy moddin'!
I am still trying to get MFT/sync2 navigation working in my '15 Escape SE. I successfully loaded V3.1 system upgrade, then changed "7D0-01-02" to "0408", then the problems started! My 8" display looked like NAV was good to go, "i" on the bottom, small compass and "insert SD card" at the top right, EXCEPT, when I inserted the card, NOTHING changed! I looked at the "systems information", found NO navigation software, no wonder no worky! I tried installing the "Nav app for 3.1, still no NAV software in the APIM, tried installing the "navipatch.png", still nothing! At this point , I probably should tell you I am not very computer savy when it comes to dealing with these "zip" files. I am using "winzip", but getting a BIT confused. Right now I have downloaded both the "zipped" and "unzipped" NAV APP files on my thumb drive. Will the APIM load this arrangement? And do I need to load the APPS file and the Navipatch file. Btw, I forgot about the manual APPS load button, I will try that today! ANY help you could provide to this "NOOBIE" would be greatly appreciated. If I still can't figure out the "file" business", is it possible to purchase a couple of "pre- loaded" thumb drives from someone on this forum? I have come this far, I hate to have to "throw in the towel" and say the heck with it! THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just finished updating and loading navigation into my 15 Flex. Your instructions....perfect. Cost, less than $80 for everything (except laptop). Time, 45 minutes (after downloads onto stick). I am now running 3.10 with A10 SD, so awesome. Saving all to my stick just in case I lose info...or if anyone else needs it. Thank you for your open com/page...appreciate to the max.
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have been trying for a week now to upgrade my MFT/sync 2 to navigation, without much luck! I did the V3.1 update and changed the code in module 7D0-01-02 to "0408" (2015 FE), the 8" display changed like it should. The upper rt corner has "insert NAV SD card" and bottom center of screen has "i" next to the "home" icon, but I CANNOT load the "NAV APP 3.1" into the APIM off of the flash drive. I keep getting the following message: "the File you are loading has to be in the root directory", tried unzipping the file, with no luck. I have to admit that I am TOTALLY confused as to how to load the navigation software! Is there anyone on this forum that could SELL me a couple of "pre-loaded" thrumb drives with the NAV APP and NAV patch software, so I could finally get navigation in my Escape. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Do a Google surch on how to load to the root directory. The thumb drive is your problem. It Does not have the navigation software where it needs to be. It also has to be in the correct format

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
@ozzy44, It took me a few go-arounds when I did the install. I don't know if I did not have the files in the correct spot on the thumb drive or if the system just takes a few tries. I build computers, but this was all new to me too! I did wind up trying different thumb drives, but I don't remember if that made any difference. The NaviPatch was another trick that got a few tries before I got it to where it said "unlocked". Assuming you installed the correct navigation file for the correct Sync 2 version, things should work. I literally had to click install the navigation software 4 times before I had success...it just kept thinking it was not there. The correct codes in APIM is key, but if the software is not there, nothing will work. It sounds like you got to where I was when I had the problems. You had the changes expected in the newer version Sync 2. Try doing a full master reset of Sync 2 (I think I described this earlier on in the thread in case of problems). Then try installing the navigation program again and the navipatch again. If you have already entered the correct numbers in APIM, then that part should be good to go. It is all just a matter of installing the software (make sure car is running) and then pick the navipatch background per my earlier screenshots. Hey, it is a learning process for all of us. Zip files are just compressed computer files. I don't remember having to uncompress them prior to install as I think Sync 2 can figure that out. Try the master reset and install everything again. If all else fails, try to post on the FORSCAN forum as those guys are geniuses with this stuff. Good luck.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had a hard time getting the files on the thumb drive, Luckily when I purchased the Sd map card from E bay it was listed with a Ford factory dealer update 3.10 and Nav. Made things easy. Previous to getting the thumb drive I had tried putting the updates on my thumb drive and every time I looked at what was on it there was little to nothing. I would clear it and re do it and nothing, finally some how it did work as far as seeing the files on it, but as i said I used the Ford factory thumb drive and all went well. From my memory you do not have to unzip the file. Syn is able to do it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you open the thumb drive on your pc if properly loaded I believe this is what you should see. I believe the last file is the navigation. After that you then install the Navipatch picture file.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just finished updating and loading navigation into my 15 Flex. Your instructions....perfect. Cost, less than $80 for everything (except laptop). Time, 45 minutes (after downloads onto stick). I am now running 3.10 with A10 SD, so awesome. Saving all to my stick just in case I lose info...or if anyone else needs it. Thank you for your open com/page...appreciate to tTE]
Hi! Would it be at all possible for you to copy your "Navipatch.png" and "NAV app 3.1" onto a pair of formatted flash drives? I would PAY you for your time and send you the blank flash drives. I have been trying for a week now to get these programs to load into the APIM module, but keep getting the following error: FILE NOT FOUND........Please check that the installation file is in the root directory of your storage device. I just DON'T have the computer skills to be able to accomplish this. If you could help, I would REALLY be greatful! My email is: [email protected].

·
Registered
250 Posts
Try this, I'm assuming you have windows 10 ???? Open your files where you have your downloads don't know if this first step is necessary, but that's what i remember doing, been a year and i'm 71 years old. LOL right click on nav app 3.10 go down to open with and choose open zip files instantly, it will do its thing and a new file will be on top labeled the same Nav app 3.10 or possibly "open zip files Instantly" I really cant remember witch one or if it matters, If one doesn't work try the other. Now put your thumb drive into the USB port. Right click on the box that come up, then a second window will open at the top, click on open folders to view files. If there is anything on the drive it will be displayed. at the top left of the screen you will see drive tools, click on the words drive tools, the next line down will say format, click on format. a box will pop up look at it and make sure it says "file system" Fat 32 then at the bottom it will say start, hit start it will tell you all files will be erased hit OK when done it will say format complete hit OK close the drive configuration box. Now go back to your files and right click on the new NAV 3.10 or the open zip file instantly go down the list to "send to" and pick the USB drive that has your thumb drive and left click on it, a box will come up and show it loading, should only take a few minutes and it should be done. go down to the bottom right should be a picture of a thumb drive left click and it should say something about ejecting it, left click and remove. Put it back in and go through the first two steps and see if Nav app 3.10 or zip files is on the drive. Double left click on the app and it should show the compressed size and information. Again eject the thumb drive and go for it. Hopefully this will work for you. That, s how I would do it if you sent it to me.

I really don't know how to copy an actual thumb drive and both the sync 3.10 update and Nav are together on mine and being you are at 3.10 already i'm not sure it would accept it any way. The NAVI patch loads on the thumb drive easy it's small it's in picture format, you add it to sync like a picture for wall paper. you don't even have to save it once it's working.

I also would highly recommend going to DIY Reeds video and read all the questions and answers below the video there is a lot of good information in there that got left out of the actual video in my opinion.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi chucksbp, I REALLY APPRECIATE you taking the time to respond to my reply to "jerry33782". I haven't had a chance to digest all of the info you provided, I am on windows 10 and have done MOST of what you have suggested. I fully understand the formatting of the flash drive and downloading the NAV file into the pc. It's AFTER that, that things do not go well, been going in circles with getting those files into the flash drive! Maybe I have a bad drive, but that is the only one I have, am thinking of getting a couple of new ones off ebay. How do I know that the "sync" update was not somehow corrupted causing the problems with loading the NAV firmware, although the sync loading went without a hitch. Do you think it might be a bad idea to reload the sync update using a new flash drive or might that cause REAL damage to the sync system? Regardless, I will try all of your suggestions, using a new flash drive. Btw, you mentioned that you are 71 years old, congratulations! Well, compared to me you are a "Spring Chicken", I am 76, about to turn 77 in about 4 months. On a side note, I see that you own an '03 F150 HD. I owned an '02 F150 HD (also black) from '03 to '07, had to sell mine at that time because of employment (lack of) issues. Anyway, as I mentioned in the reply to "jerry33782" I would SERIOUSLY offer to pay for someone to copy the NAV firmware onto a blank flash drive before I decide to "throw in the towel" and just forget the whole thing! THANK YOU again for responding to my DESPERATE plea! I apologize for disrupting this forum because of my SEVERE COMPUTER ILLITERACY problem!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I sent you a private conversation. Don't throw in the towel! this is doable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!! A friend & I worked all afternoon, installing, reinstalling the Nav App to no avail. He had the ELM connector, and had activated his SYNC in his F150 several months ago... so thought we had done everything. We finally gave up, had dinner I drove the 2 hour trip home. We had read the directions using a youtube presentation. No where did anyone explain that to use the navipatch, I had to click on the blue bar. I decided to do one more look online and saw your wonderful directions... went to my escape, activate the navipatch, and did the master reset - once again! Instantly the nav showed up... I put in my map card... and I have activation

Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I finally got Nav going in my Focus ST today, including enabling nav-in-motion. Thanks again for the great write-up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys, currently I am not in USA neither in Canada, I want to activate the navigation in my sync2 2015. But, I wonder if in my region it is going to show any map because the SD-Card says USA/CAN

41 - 60 of 85 Posts