Do you have the correct version of sync for the navigation you are using?
Hi, I am a noob to the forum. I am in the process of adding navigation to my '15 Escape with MFT/sync 2, the V3.1 update has been done and am waiting for my BBfly-Vint-TT555-02 OBD interface along with an A10 card. I had quite a bit of trouble trying to get the free license key loaded. I ended up generating the download FOUR times, really must have screwed something up, was getting "the key for this hardware ID already exists"! After a couple of days, I finally gave in and PURCHASED the $10 one year license, figured $10 is not going to implode my bank account! Ok, so I plugged in the activation code and BINGO, like magic I got my 1 year registered license! I just have one question. Does the navigation have turn by turn VOICE prompts?Well I am glad you got a goot deal on the A9 card. When I searched a few months ago, the A10 card was cheaper on Ebay than the older ones. I guess the pricing always changes. Enjoy your nav!
Yes, it does have turn by turn voice commands. I'm glad you got in through FORSCAN. I think with the holiday weekend there probably was very few people (if any) on to approve the free license. It really is a nice hack tool for every day people like us. I'm sure there is a lot more than navigation you can do with it, but navigation is like the top of everyone's wish list! Enjoy!Hi, I am a noob to the forum. I am in the process of adding navigation to my '15 Escape with MFT/sync 2, the V3.1 update has been done and am waiting for my BBfly-Vint-TT555-02 OBD interface along with an A10 card. I had quite a bit of trouble trying to get the free license key loaded. I ended up generating the download FOUR times, really must have screwed something up, was getting "the key for this hardware ID already exists"! After a couple of days, I finally gave in and PURCHASED the $10 one year license, figured $10 is not going to implode my bank account! Ok, so I plugged in the activation code and BINGO, like magic I got my 1 year registered license! I just have one question. Does the navigation have turn by turn VOICE prompts?
I am still trying to get MFT/sync2 navigation working in my '15 Escape SE. I successfully loaded V3.1 system upgrade, then changed "7D0-01-02" to "0408", then the problems started! My 8" display looked like NAV was good to go, "i" on the bottom, small compass and "insert SD card" at the top right, EXCEPT, when I inserted the card, NOTHING changed! I looked at the "systems information", found NO navigation software, no wonder no worky! I tried installing the "Nav app for 3.1, still no NAV software in the APIM, tried installing the "navipatch.png", still nothing! At this point , I probably should tell you I am not very computer savy when it comes to dealing with these "zip" files. I am using "winzip", but getting a BIT confused. Right now I have downloaded both the "zipped" and "unzipped" NAV APP files on my thumb drive. Will the APIM load this arrangement? And do I need to load the APPS file and the Navipatch file. Btw, I forgot about the manual APPS load button, I will try that today! ANY help you could provide to this "NOOBIE" would be greatly appreciated. If I still can't figure out the "file" business", is it possible to purchase a couple of "pre- loaded" thumb drives from someone on this forum? I have come this far, I hate to have to "throw in the towel" and say the heck with it! THANK YOU!!!For those of you out there that have a Sync 2 equipped Escape or other Ford (meaning you have the 4 quadrant screen larger screen and don't have the small screen), you can basically activate navigation with a little electronic tinkering. There is a similar thread Enable MyFordTouch Navigation (via software update) which achieves the same means and some of the directions are what you would do here...but the thread has some older info and I just did it and wanted to share with you how you can do it yourself and do it simplified in 2019. You will be activating the original Ford Sync 2 navigation, not an aftermarket equipment modification or aftermarket software. And man, it works sweet compared to the old suction cup navigation!
Here is the most awesome how to video on the subject to get you started:
Just remember, as I found out, there are parts of the video that have been snipped out and leave you questioning what you missed, why things aren't working and what to do next. The answers are buried in the mountains of comments on the video (which the video's owner does answer quickly and generally thoroughly). The problem with the video is that it is not built as as "Install Navigation On Sync 2 For Dummies"...so I have added the following pictures and text as a guide so you have the items and software you need and do the right steps in order.
1) As stated in the video you will need an OBDII ELM327 connector to plug into your OBDII port as well as into your laptop (and you will need a laptop computer by the way). You can use the link on the video for an ELM327 connector on Amazon for about $30 that the video provides, but you can find one like this on Ebay for under $15.00 (that is new and ships from the US).
2) Also as stated on the video, you will need an A10 map update card. There are a bunch on Ebay for around $22.50 (that are new and ships from the US). I do not recommend you use the Amazon link or even search in Amazon as the same A10 cards are from $55 - $100.
3) If you don't have one, get yourself a USB thumb drive as it will be needed to transfer software.
4) So get those ordered up and give it about a week for arrival. If you have a thumb drive, wipe it clean as to not cause confusion in Sync with other files on it.
While you are waiting for the items to arrive, here is your homework. Go to http://www.forscan.org, click on products and click on
Download and install FORscan on your laptop computer. Then go to FORScan forum - Login to get a 2 month free trial extended license. It will take the administrators of the FORscan website a few hours to get back to you. Do this before your ELM327 and A10 map card arrive and not on the day of the software install or you will be waiting a few hours for their response! If they don't respond with your membership info, you can't login to generate a temp license key.
View attachment 74822
5) Also while you wait for your items, follow the instructions on the video on checking your Sync 2 Version. Be mindful that my Ford had a higher numerical number than the Sync versions 3.08 or 3.1 needed for the navigation install, causing confusion. The video has examples of the different software versions out there on different Sync 2 versions and Ford vehicles...but you really need to download the 3.1 version here, unless you already have 3.08 or 3.1 as your Sync version when you check. To do the update, after you download the file, be sure to place the 2 or 3 main files after opening with Winzip or Winrar into the root of the thumb drive (not the downloaded file itself). The Escape can unzip some of the files itself, just not the original download file. Next have your Escape running (outside of course). Put in the thumb drive. If you put the few files in the root directory, the Sync 2 install should start by itself. There are other videos on Youtube for this if you need it, but remember the system will update and shut on and off a few times. Don't panic about the screen going black for a minute here or there. Just keep the car running and wait till it is complete. You should do a "Master Reset" of Sync 2 at this point.
View attachment 74825
View attachment 74823
View attachment 74824
View attachment 74826
6) Also while you wait for your items, download the file Navipatch. It is a png picture file. Install it a background for your MFT (My Ford Touch) and make that your background. It will display a blue bar across the bottom with the word "UNLOCK" on it. You will need to use this file later on to do it's magic. More to follow...
7) One more thing while you are waiting for your items, download the navigation application file for Sync 3.1 here. In my 2014 Escape SE, there was no mention navigation software being installed when I checked my Sync version, as it would be in the same place. I cleared out the thumb drive again, unzipped the downloaded file and put the 2 or 3 main files on the root of the thumb drive. Get your Escape running (outside of course). Put it into the Escape's USB ports (just like with the Sync 2 version update). It should start the Sync 2 install update by itself. If not, you can go under settings and install software to do this step. If the installation starts working, you will know it. If you get some USB error, you will need to make sure you only have the 2 or 3 files after unzipping the install file in the root of the thumb drive. I literally installed the navigation software 3 or 4 different times and it still would not register on Sync's software versions as it did for the user in the video. Don't panic, IT'S THERE! If it isn't you can add it again later...but you will need to wipe the thumb drive clean once more and then put the files back on it, as the system gets finicky.
View attachment 74828
8) So now you have the ELM327 OBDII connector and the A10 map card and you are ready to roll. First make sure you have wireless internet where you park your vehicle or at least register your temp extended license key for FORscan before bringing the laptop to the vehicle. Look for the OBDII access on the lower Left side of the steering wheel on the dash (right side on righ4t drive vehicles). There will be the letters for OBDII stated right on the panel that you need to pull open for access to the port. Once open, plug in the ELM327 with the switch set to "HS". My ELM327 didn't have any indication as to what way was what for the switch, so I put a sticker on it first indicating the HS and MS directions per the pictures on the for sale ad. You don't need a fancy ELM327. The $15.00 one worked just fine for me. Also plug the ELM327 into a USB slot on the laptop computer. Fire up FORscan and follow the instructions carefully on the video from there. Some of the original instructions from the earlier thread now come into play:
Use the APIM configuration method.
Edit the 7D0-01-02 entry from as-built 0008 2300 0409 to 0408 2300 0409.
From the video and what is here and what I saw on FORscan for my Escape, I think the numbers vary from Ford to Ford...but the one constant is the second digit always gets changed from a 0 to a 4. That activates navigation, and restarts Sync 2.
What ground my gears was after the restart and even a "master reset" (as the comments on the video suggested), I still had the large compass in the upper right.
9) The final trick to engage navigation and make the navigation application show up in the system info screen, as to go back to selecting a background to display on the MFT. (My Ford Touch) Pick the Navipatch from the backgrounds list on the right side again. Even though you had the "UNLOCK" text in the blue bar on the background, that is not what will engage navigation. Tap or double tap on the Navipatch on the left, or tap select again and BAM, it will say "Navigation Unlocked". Navipatch has now done it's thing. Do a "master reset" one last time and you will see the compass smaller in the upper right quadrant this time. It will tell you to put in the navigation map SD card. Install the card inside your center console, where it must be left plugged in at all times. No, you can't just put it in once and the system magically remember everything so you can return it and get your money back! Nice try. Believe me, I tried that too! Now unlike the video, I did not see an address under the compass. After I unhooked the laptop and ELM327 connector, I took the Escape for a drive and tested out my awesome new navigation. After like 15 minutes of driving, the street started showing up under the compass as it should. Also, if you check the system info now, you will see the navigation software version you installed earlier (that did not appear earlier).
View attachment 74829
View attachment 74830
View attachment 74831
I really hope this helps someone make their Escape more usable and more valuable too. For under $50.00 for an ELM327 connector and an A10 map card, a few bucks in gas (to update Sync and navigation software) and a few hours in research and a few minutes in software tinkering, you can make all this happen. You don't have to take the center of the cash apart and replace the control module behind the touchscreen display with one from a wreck of a modifier. Nor do you have to pay $300 to $1,000 for that sort of stuff either (as many charge aftermarket). You can do it for $50.00 just like me. Good luck out there and happy moddin'!
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have been trying for a week now to upgrade my MFT/sync 2 to navigation, without much luck! I did the V3.1 update and changed the code in module 7D0-01-02 to "0408" (2015 FE), the 8" display changed like it should. The upper rt corner has "insert NAV SD card" and bottom center of screen has "i" next to the "home" icon, but I CANNOT load the "NAV APP 3.1" into the APIM off of the flash drive. I keep getting the following message: "the File you are loading has to be in the root directory", tried unzipping the file, with no luck. I have to admit that I am TOTALLY confused as to how to load the navigation software! Is there anyone on this forum that could SELL me a couple of "pre-loaded" thrumb drives with the NAV APP and NAV patch software, so I could finally get navigation in my Escape. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!Just finished updating and loading navigation into my 15 Flex. Your instructions....perfect. Cost, less than $80 for everything (except laptop). Time, 45 minutes (after downloads onto stick). I am now running 3.10 with A10 SD, so awesome. Saving all to my stick just in case I lose info...or if anyone else needs it. Thank you for your open com/page...appreciate to the max.
Hi! Would it be at all possible for you to copy your "Navipatch.png" and "NAV app 3.1" onto a pair of formatted flash drives? I would PAY you for your time and send you the blank flash drives. I have been trying for a week now to get these programs to load into the APIM module, but keep getting the following error: FILE NOT FOUND........Please check that the installation file is in the root directory of your storage device. I just DON'T have the computer skills to be able to accomplish this. If you could help, I would REALLY be greatful! My email is: [email protected].Just finished updating and loading navigation into my 15 Flex. Your instructions....perfect. Cost, less than $80 for everything (except laptop). Time, 45 minutes (after downloads onto stick). I am now running 3.10 with A10 SD, so awesome. Saving all to my stick just in case I lose info...or if anyone else needs it. Thank you for your open com/page...appreciate to tTE]