2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Escape 1.6L Turbo SE 4WD
68 Posts
I sent you a private conversation. Don't throw in the towel! this is doable.
Hi Chuck! I just wanted to let you that I finally got navigation to work. Had to buy another SD card, couldn't find the one that I dropped into the "bowels" of the FE. That last download link you sent me did the trick! THANK YOU, THANK YOU for all the help you provided! STAY SAFE!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Great!!! I'm glad you got it working! I'm sure you will enjoy using it. Nice speaking with you for sure.

Reactions: Paws112

·
Registered
251 Posts
You would have to check with Ford and see if they have a map card for your area.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
@oijusti A North American nav card will not load your region (at least in theory anyway). Look for a Ford nav SD card for your region to be sure you can navigate in your neck of the woods. They are cheap on Ebay or Amazon or similar website. The SD card nav setup by Ford was fairly standard worldwide, so there are bound to be nav cards for your region.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@needliftnow Hi, I’m new here and recently bought a 2015 escape titanium! I checked to see if there were any updates for my sync and this is the version I updated to SYNC2 - V3.10. My question is, will this version allow me to install navigation following the your video and steps above? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Lost in SC

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes that's what we are using. You may or may not have to add the Navigation down load, The reason I say that is sometimes the 3.10 has the Nav. in it. You will have to install the Navigation Wallpaper and do the Forscan VODO, but you have the long download part done at this point. I highly recommend that yo watch the DIY Reid video several times then read the comments and questions at the bottom then watch the video a couple more times. At that point you will be comfortable and more able to understand what you are attempting to do. The Video is good but glosses over a few important points, These are addressed in the questions and comments. Really it is easy the hardest thing was getting the download onto the root of the thumb drive for me. The installation in the car with the 3.1 already loaded will only take a few minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes that's what we are using. You may or may not have to add the Navigation down load, The reason I say that is sometimes the 3.10 has the Nav. in it. You will have to install the Navigation Wallpaper and do the Forscan VODO, but you have the long download part done at this point. I highly recommend that yo watch the DIY Reid video several times then read the comments and questions at the bottom then watch the video a couple more times. At that point you will be comfortable and more able to understand what you are attempting to do. The Video is good but glosses over a few important points, These are addressed in the questions and comments. Really it is easy the hardest thing was getting the download onto the root of the thumb drive for me. The installation in the car with the 3.1 already loaded will only take a few minutes.
Thank you so much! I’ll have to work on this after Xmas! If I question, do you mind if I reach out to you?

·
Registered
251 Posts
No problem, I am not an expert by any means, but I am more than happy to share anything that I can help you with. My best advise as I said is watch that video many times and when you have time read down through the questions and answers. There is more information in the comments than in the video.

Reactions: Paws112

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
@Paws112 you will be all set with the info from @chucksbp. Follow the instructions from the start of this thread and the video. In most cases the install goes fairly straight forward. Sometimes there needs a few attempts activating the navigation part or formatting, deleting and reinstalling the files on the USB thumb drive. Overall, most people can install this upgrade fairly easily and quickly. Like anything else we have never done before, we learn as you go! Like I said, the original details and the video on this thread should guide you on the right path.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Buddy, sorry to bug you, do you know if this can be done in Europe?
Which SDCard should I buy? Will this sdcard work? Amazon.com: F5 Europe Latest Map Update to F4,F3 Ford Lincoln Navigation SD Card Map,SYNC MyFord Touch,fits 12-16 Focus Fusion Fiesta C-Max Mustang Taurus Edge Explorer Escape F150 F250 GM5T-19H449-FA: GPS & Navigation
Thanks!!!

For those of you out there that have a Sync 2 equipped Escape or other Ford (meaning you have the 4 quadrant screen larger screen and don't have the small screen), you can basically activate navigation with a little electronic tinkering. There is a similar thread Enable MyFordTouch Navigation (via software update) which achieves the same means and some of the directions are what you would do here...but the thread has some older info and I just did it and wanted to share with you how you can do it yourself and do it simplified in 2019. You will be activating the original Ford Sync 2 navigation, not an aftermarket equipment modification or aftermarket software. And man, it works sweet compared to the old suction cup navigation!

Here is the most awesome how to video on the subject to get you started:

Just remember, as I found out, there are parts of the video that have been snipped out and leave you questioning what you missed, why things aren't working and what to do next. The answers are buried in the mountains of comments on the video (which the video's owner does answer quickly and generally thoroughly). The problem with the video is that it is not built as as "Install Navigation On Sync 2 For Dummies"...so I have added the following pictures and text as a guide so you have the items and software you need and do the right steps in order.

1) As stated in the video you will need an OBDII ELM327 connector to plug into your OBDII port as well as into your laptop (and you will need a laptop computer by the way). You can use the link on the video for an ELM327 connector on Amazon for about $30 that the video provides, but you can find one like this on Ebay for under $15.00 (that is new and ships from the US).

2) Also as stated on the video, you will need an A10 map update card. There are a bunch on Ebay for around $22.50 (that are new and ships from the US). I do not recommend you use the Amazon link or even search in Amazon as the same A10 cards are from $55 - $100.

3) If you don't have one, get yourself a USB thumb drive as it will be needed to transfer software.

4) So get those ordered up and give it about a week for arrival. If you have a thumb drive, wipe it clean as to not cause confusion in Sync with other files on it.
While you are waiting for the items to arrive, here is your homework. Go to http://www.forscan.org, click on products and click on

Download and install FORscan on your laptop computer. Then go to FORScan forum - Login to get a 2 month free trial extended license. It will take the administrators of the FORscan website a few hours to get back to you. Do this before your ELM327 and A10 map card arrive and not on the day of the software install or you will be waiting a few hours for their response! If they don't respond with your membership info, you can't login to generate a temp license key.

View attachment 74822

5) Also while you wait for your items, follow the instructions on the video on checking your Sync 2 Version. Be mindful that my Ford had a higher numerical number than the Sync versions 3.08 or 3.1 needed for the navigation install, causing confusion. The video has examples of the different software versions out there on different Sync 2 versions and Ford vehicles...but you really need to download the 3.1 version here, unless you already have 3.08 or 3.1 as your Sync version when you check. To do the update, after you download the file, be sure to place the 2 or 3 main files after opening with Winzip or Winrar into the root of the thumb drive (not the downloaded file itself). The Escape can unzip some of the files itself, just not the original download file. Next have your Escape running (outside of course). Put in the thumb drive. If you put the few files in the root directory, the Sync 2 install should start by itself. There are other videos on Youtube for this if you need it, but remember the system will update and shut on and off a few times. Don't panic about the screen going black for a minute here or there. Just keep the car running and wait till it is complete. You should do a "Master Reset" of Sync 2 at this point.

View attachment 74825

View attachment 74823

View attachment 74824

View attachment 74826

6) Also while you wait for your items, download the file Navipatch. It is a png picture file. Install it a background for your MFT (My Ford Touch) and make that your background. It will display a blue bar across the bottom with the word "UNLOCK" on it. You will need to use this file later on to do it's magic. More to follow...

7) One more thing while you are waiting for your items, download the navigation application file for Sync 3.1 here. In my 2014 Escape SE, there was no mention navigation software being installed when I checked my Sync version, as it would be in the same place. I cleared out the thumb drive again, unzipped the downloaded file and put the 2 or 3 main files on the root of the thumb drive. Get your Escape running (outside of course). Put it into the Escape's USB ports (just like with the Sync 2 version update). It should start the Sync 2 install update by itself. If not, you can go under settings and install software to do this step. If the installation starts working, you will know it. If you get some USB error, you will need to make sure you only have the 2 or 3 files after unzipping the install file in the root of the thumb drive. I literally installed the navigation software 3 or 4 different times and it still would not register on Sync's software versions as it did for the user in the video. Don't panic, IT'S THERE! If it isn't you can add it again later...but you will need to wipe the thumb drive clean once more and then put the files back on it, as the system gets finicky.

View attachment 74828

8) So now you have the ELM327 OBDII connector and the A10 map card and you are ready to roll. First make sure you have wireless internet where you park your vehicle or at least register your temp extended license key for FORscan before bringing the laptop to the vehicle. Look for the OBDII access on the lower Left side of the steering wheel on the dash (right side on righ4t drive vehicles). There will be the letters for OBDII stated right on the panel that you need to pull open for access to the port. Once open, plug in the ELM327 with the switch set to "HS". My ELM327 didn't have any indication as to what way was what for the switch, so I put a sticker on it first indicating the HS and MS directions per the pictures on the for sale ad. You don't need a fancy ELM327. The $15.00 one worked just fine for me. Also plug the ELM327 into a USB slot on the laptop computer. Fire up FORscan and follow the instructions carefully on the video from there. Some of the original instructions from the earlier thread now come into play:
Use the APIM configuration method.
Edit the 7D0-01-02 entry from as-built 0008 2300 0409 to 0408 2300 0409.
From the video and what is here and what I saw on FORscan for my Escape, I think the numbers vary from Ford to Ford...but the one constant is the second digit always gets changed from a 0 to a 4. That activates navigation, and restarts Sync 2.
What ground my gears was after the restart and even a "master reset" (as the comments on the video suggested), I still had the large compass in the upper right.

9) The final trick to engage navigation and make the navigation application show up in the system info screen, as to go back to selecting a background to display on the MFT. (My Ford Touch) Pick the Navipatch from the backgrounds list on the right side again. Even though you had the "UNLOCK" text in the blue bar on the background, that is not what will engage navigation. Tap or double tap on the Navipatch on the left, or tap select again and BAM, it will say "Navigation Unlocked". Navipatch has now done it's thing. Do a "master reset" one last time and you will see the compass smaller in the upper right quadrant this time. It will tell you to put in the navigation map SD card. Install the card inside your center console, where it must be left plugged in at all times. No, you can't just put it in once and the system magically remember everything so you can return it and get your money back! Nice try. Believe me, I tried that too! Now unlike the video, I did not see an address under the compass. After I unhooked the laptop and ELM327 connector, I took the Escape for a drive and tested out my awesome new navigation. After like 15 minutes of driving, the street started showing up under the compass as it should. Also, if you check the system info now, you will see the navigation software version you installed earlier (that did not appear earlier).

View attachment 74829

View attachment 74830

View attachment 74831

I really hope this helps someone make their Escape more usable and more valuable too. For under $50.00 for an ELM327 connector and an A10 map card, a few bucks in gas (to update Sync and navigation software) and a few hours in research and a few minutes in software tinkering, you can make all this happen. You don't have to take the center of the cash apart and replace the control module behind the touchscreen display with one from a wreck of a modifier. Nor do you have to pay $300 to $1,000 for that sort of stuff either (as many charge aftermarket). You can do it for $50.00 just like me. Good luck out there and happy moddin'!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm not familiar with what cards work where in Europe, but if that card is for your area and you do the updates and the necessary steps it should work just fine.

Reactions: needliftnow

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Do you have the 3.10 update file by any chance? it says that it has been take down in mega
I assume you mean the Sync2/MFT 3.1 update, right? That is an older variant than I updated to (the screen shot is on page one of this thread). I think I updated to 3.8. 3.1 is likely old and obsolete and has been removed as such. Just be sure to pick the correct nav version to install for the corresponding Sync 2/MFT version. The card you mentioned should be OK for Europe as it states Europe on it. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry i didnt quite get that, you mean that version 3.10 is older than version 3.8?
I have version 3.8 for what I saw as when i put the map files for version 3.10 it told me that the files were corrupted or something like that and when i put the pendrive with maps app for version 3.8 they got installed.
Would you recommend to stay on version 3.8 then?
Im still waiting for the ELM cable and the maps sdcard so i have some time to play with it.

Thanks a mill!

Thanks a mill!
I assume you mean the Sync2/MFT 3.1 update, right? That is an older variant than I updated to (the screen shot is on page one of this thread). I think I updated to 3.8. 3.1 is likely old and obsolete and has been removed as such. Just be sure to pick the correct nav version to install for the corresponding Sync 2/MFT version. The card you mentioned should be OK for Europe as it states Europe on it. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
@jadenac My error on the 3.8 thing...I was looking at the wrong screen shot. My original link navigation application file for Sync 3.1 here should be used. I just clicked the link and downloaded the file. The file is still there and should still be non-corrupted. Myself and others here have had issues with the files being invalidated somehow when putting them on a USB thumb drive (I think with a FAT32 format, not NTSF). You should use your computer to reformat the USB drive and then start with a clean install. Sometimes it takes a few times for a successful install, but it will work. And only put one thing on the USB thumb drive at a time. After you update to Sync 3.1, reformat the thumb drive and then install the navigation-related files.

·
Registered
4 Posts
alright!! I think I’m all set now, just have to wait for the maps and the ELM dongle!
Cheers buddy !

@jadenac My error on the 3.8 thing...I was looking at the wrong screen shot. My original link navigation application file for Sync 3.1 here should be used. I just clicked the link and downloaded the file. The file is still there and should still be non-corrupted. Myself and others here have had issues with the files being invalidated somehow when putting them on a USB thumb drive (I think with a FAT32 format, not NTSF). You should use your computer to reformat the USB drive and then start with a clean install. Sometimes it takes a few times for a successful install, but it will work. And only put one thing on the USB thumb drive at a time. After you update to Sync 3.1, reformat the thumb drive and then install the navigation-related files.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you so much! I’ll have to work on this after Xmas! If I question, do you mind if I reach out to you?
@Paws112 you will be all set with the info from @chucksbp. Follow the instructions from the start of this thread and the video. In most cases the install goes fairly straight forward. Sometimes there needs a few attempts activating the navigation part or formatting, deleting and reinstalling the files on the USB thumb drive. Overall, most people can install this upgrade fairly easily and quickly. Like anything else we have never done before, we learn as you go! Like I said, the original details and the video on this thread should guide you on the right path.
Hi I’m back and have a couple of questions! I received my items and I’ve registered and received my free license! At the beginning you said to download the Forscan 2.3.22 beta version but it states forscan site there is a newer version! Do I update to the newer version or do I use the version you posted? I’m not very techy on this subject! I need the blonde dummies book for this!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Hi I’m back and have a couple of questions! I received my items and I’ve registered and received my free license! At the beginning you said to download the Forscan 2.3.22 beta version but it states forscan site there is a newer version! Do I update to the newer version or do I use the version you posted? I’m not very techy on this subject! I need the blonde dummies book for this!
That's a good question. I think I had to go back and forth between the text on the YouTube video and the FORSCAN site to chose the correct version of FORSCAN. I don't remember if I did not choose a newer version because that was not what the video called for or because it would not work on my computer. I think there were only a couple of versions that matched up with the video references FORSCAN versions. I think I tried one and it did not work so I chose the other beta version and that worked successfully for all the steps needed.. Since the FORSCAN version does not have any effect on the SYNC 2 version or Nav software version selected, I'd say if you try it and it works, more power to you. Please post here if it does so we all know. It makes sense that new software versions come out. The FORSCAN website doesn't give much info on versions offered or what modules are available with what versions. So long as the version has the modules needed to make the changes and have the free license (which you have), you should be all set. Plus it has been a year or so since I did my install...so things are likely updates on both the FORSCAN website and software version too. It will work for you with perseverance and patience. Good luck and please post back on your updates.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's a good question. I think I had to go back and forth between the text on the YouTube video and the FORSCAN site to chose the correct version of FORSCAN. I don't remember if I did not choose a newer version because that was not what the video called for or because it would not work on my computer. I think there were only a couple of versions that matched up with the video references FORSCAN versions. I think I tried one and it did not work so I chose the other beta version and that worked successfully for all the steps needed.. Since the FORSCAN version does not have any effect on the SYNC 2 version or Nav software version selected, I'd say if you try it and it works, more power to you. Please post here if it does so we all know. It makes sense that new software versions come out. The FORSCAN website doesn't give much info on versions offered or what modules are available with what versions. So long as the version has the modules needed to make the changes and have the free license (which you have), you should be all set. Plus it has been a year or so since I did my install...so things are likely updates on both the FORSCAN website and software version too. It will work for you with perseverance and patience. Good luck and please post back on your updates.
I definitely will. Do I need to format my flash drive before downloading my Update Sync2 3.10v?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
@Paws112 Yes, format the USB drive before putting any files on it. Use FAT32 and not NTSF when you format. When you update the Sync 2/MFT version, only put that on the USB thumb drive. Then delete the file and reformat the thumb drive again before installing the NAV files. Sometimes Sync will get finicky when reading the USB drive or it will make you isntall the NAV a few times before it shows the differences on the screen (as it did with me), but it will work

61 - 80 of 121 Posts