2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
@Paws112 Yes, format the USB drive before putting any files on it. Use FAT32 and not NTSF when you format. When you update the Sync 2/MFT version, only put that on the USB thumb drive. Then delete the file and reformat the thumb drive again before installing the NAV files. Sometimes Sync will get finicky when reading the USB drive or it will make you isntall the NAV a few times before it shows the differences on the screen (as it did with me), but it will work
Thanks. also the video states to reset the sync once updated to 3.1 ???

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
@Paws112 Correct. More info is on the first page or two of this thread. It takes a few minutes to do the full reset. You'll lose your favorite radio and satellite stations and other minor settings you may have had on Sync, but re-entering them is a minor inconvenience. Also do another reset of Sync after you do the initial install of the NAV software. Then when you reboot it, follow the steps to activate the Navipatch. You may need one last reset of Sync after that just to play it safe, but you should see the small compass and navigation listed (and functional by clicking) after you initiate the Navipatch...but just be sure to have the maps SD care installed and locked in place first before you click on the navigation quadrant of the screen.

Reactions: Paws112

·
Registered
7 Posts
@Paws112 Correct. More info is on the first page or two of this thread. It takes a few minutes to do the full reset. You'll lose your favorite radio and satellite stations and other minor settings you may have had on Sync, but re-entering them is a minor inconvenience. Also do another reset of Sync after you do the initial install of the NAV software. Then when you reboot it, follow the steps to activate the Navipatch. You may need one last reset of Sync after that just to play it safe, but you should see the small compass and navigation listed (and functional by clicking) after you initiate the Navipatch...but just be sure to have the maps SD care installed and locked in place first before you click on the navigation quadrant of the screen.
Thank you so much. The words master reset kinda makes me cringe!! LOL

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Guys, I successfully installed a sync 2 system in my UK spec Kuga which was running sync 1. Not an easy task putting in sync 2.

When I installed the navi patch, success came with the small compass and insert SD card. Inserting the SD card just brought up SD card error. I managed to fix this by means of an update and already knew about this potential issue through our UK Kuga forum.

For those who are attempting to install navigation it is better to have version 3.08 than 3.1. If you already have 3.1 then fine but if you need to update sync then it's best to upgrade to 3.08.

If you get to the point where it says insert SD and is says SD card error then you need some upgrade files for it to work. These links should solve anyone who has problems.

Remember also that all install files need to be on the root directory of the usb drive. The root directory is the first window you see when you click on whatever drive number your usb stick is. Drive D, E or F normally. If there isn't an autoinstall file on this directory it is not going to load anything.

For anyone who wants to add the navigation instructions to the instrument cluster then you need to do this using Forscan.

The block to change is:

7D0-01-02: ####-#X##-####

That's the 6th digit in this block on the APIM but I am unable to tell you what yours needs to be as your Escape may have a different spec to here in the UK.

In the UK that number would be a 7 for the nav repeater to show in the instrument cluster.

Have a look and see what number you have, make a note of the FULL block, take a picture write it down and try changing to a 7. If it works fine.

DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING without either taking a back up or taking a screen shot. You do this at your own risk.

Reactions: needliftnow

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just to add to the above I see at least one of you has queried how to get directions in the instrument cluster. I know this feature can be added using Forscan as I previously mentioned but after installing my sync 2 and adding navigation, which my sync 1 didn't have, I thought I would have a look at the menu for the instrument cluster and I noticed that in Display settings I have an option for navigation. I put a tick in the box and "hey presto", navigation details in the instrument cluster where the car display normally is. See below.

IMG_20210120_105128.jpg

IMG_20210120_105141.jpg

Apologies for the dust.

Reactions: needliftnow

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just to add to the above I see at least one of you has queried how to get directions in the instrument cluster. I know this feature can be added using Forscan as I previously mentioned but after installing my sync 2 and adding navigation, which my sync 1 didn't have, I thought I would have a look at the menu for the instrument cluster and I noticed that in Display settings I have an option for navigation. I put a tick in the box and "hey presto", navigation details in the instrument cluster where the car display normally is. See below.

View attachment 78506

View attachment 78507

Apologies for the dust.
Can you tell me how to do this? I successfully adding the navigation to my Sync 2 but not sure what steps I need to take to add it to my instrument cluster

·
Registered
123 Posts
Can you tell me how to do this? I successfully adding the navigation to my Sync 2 but not sure what steps I need to take to add it to my instrument cluster
I take it you have tried to find navigation info in the display settings on the instrument cluster. I didn't add the feature using Forscan. It was just there.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Not on mine...I believe they deleted this feature after 2016 according to research.
I have the same 'navigation info' bar on the menu screen which I have ticked but I think all that does is warn you with an audible 'caution' if a speed camera is coming up or there is some sort of danger ahead and that warning happens regardless of whether you are using the nav. for directions
There is no image on the menu screen.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not on mine...I believe they deleted this feature after 2016 according to research.
I have the same 'navigation info' bar on the menu screen which I have ticked but I think all that does is warn you with an audible 'caution' if a speed camera is coming up or there is some sort of danger ahead and that warning happens regardless of whether you are using the nav. for directions
There is no image on the menu screen.
You can enable the feature with Forscan. I will find the code to change so it displays in the instrument cluster. I had the speed camera warning before I selected navigation in the instrument cluster.

Reactions: wiz043

·
Registered
35 Posts
So I've updated my MFT Sync system from 3.5 to 3.10, installed the 3.10 nav files, and Navipatch.
Got my A10 SDS card last week and now my OBD adapter has been delivered.
Downloaded the latest version of FORScan and got my trial license key.

So do I need to install a driver for the OBD adapter before using it ?
One other thing that concerns me, is when I put the Nav files in, it said initializing, and downloading, then download complete. But when I look at the system info, it still doesn't show the nav files below where it says version 3.10.
I thought I read somewhere that the files might not show but are there anyway ?
I guess I'll find out later today.

Edit... I might add that I made sure to download the proper nav file for 3.10, formatted the thumb drive to fat32 and wiped it clean in between each download put on it.
And I did the master reset in between each download.

When I saw that the nav files didn't show up on the system settings, I tried twice more, wiping the thumb drive, downloading it again to the thumb drive, downloading it to the Sync, and doing another reset.
Each time, it said the files were downloading, then download complete.
Still no nav version info showing on the system settings screen.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So I've updated my MFT Sync system from 3.5 to 3.10, installed the 3.10 nav files, and Navipatch.
Got my A10 SDS card last week and now my OBD adapter has been delivered.
Downloaded the latest version of FORScan and got my trial license key.

So do I need to install a driver for the OBD adapter before using it ?
One other thing that concerns me, is when I put the Nav files in, it said initializing, and downloading, then download complete. But when I look at the system info, it still doesn't show the nav files below where it says version 3.10.
I thought I read somewhere that the files might not show but are there anyway ?
I guess I'll find out later today.

Edit... I might add that I made sure to download the proper nav file for 3.10, formatted the thumb drive to fat32 and wiped it clean in between each download put on it.
And I did the master reset in between each download.

When I saw that the nav files didn't show up on the system settings, I tried twice more, wiping the thumb drive, downloading it again to the thumb drive, downloading it to the Sync, and doing another reset.
Each time, it said the files were downloading, then download complete.
Still no nav version info showing on the system settings screen.
Have you enabled navigation in the APIM configuration using Forscan.

What OBD device did you buy.

Reactions: sandog

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just got the nav to work. I bought the OBD adapter that is in the OP's link, and the same SD card as well.
The driver for the OBD tool didn't self install so I had to do that manually.
I got into FORScan and changed the code in the APIM, still no Nav.

Then I re-read step #9 in the OP's first post, about how the Navipatch had to be re done.
I added the Navipatch image, clicked unlock, did a final re-set, put the SD card in and then my street showed up.
I haven't gone back into the system info to see if the nav version is there, but I'm sure it showed up finally.

Thank you, needliftnow, for doing this thread and helping us out !

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey guys, I bought the ob2 adapter and waiting on the card. I tried downloading the sync 3.1 listed on the first post but its been taken down. Can anyone link me to a working link? Thank you!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Did you check the Ford software update site???

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,354 Posts
Totally new to this. Wasn't aware there's even a site. Care to share a link to it? And does it have the file that was deleted from the original OP?
You just have to go to the Owners site on Ford’s website. If you haven’t logged in yet, then you’ll have to register with your VIN.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You just have to go to the Owners site on Ford’s website. If you haven’t logged in yet, then you’ll have to register with your VIN.
Oh ok. I see how it works. This will give you the file 3.1 that necessary to do this nav unlock correct? Was hoping someone had the zip file as Well but I'll see if I look I to it when I get home.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,354 Posts
Oh ok. I see how it works. This will give you the file 3.1 that necessary to do this nav unlock correct? Was hoping someone had the zip file as Well but I'll see if I look I to it when I get home.
This will just allow you to update your Sync software version. Probably will do nothing to unlock your nav.

·
Registered
123 Posts
All the information is on post 84 and as the information provided by @needliftnow. I was advised to use sync version 3.08. As far as I know there is no advantage of having 3.10 and I know that some people have had problems installing navigation with 3.10. I can only go on what others advised me to do and it worked fine for me with 3.08 which is still on the car. Reading the posts on the XDA site may be helpful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This will just allow you to update your Sync software version. Probably will do nothing to unlock your nav.
Oh yeah. I'm aware. Is just one of the prerequisites before you use the obd2 adapter with forscan. Says you have to be on at least 3.08. But if ANYONE has the original 3.1 file. Please link me to it. Would be very happy not do register and do the whole process just to update.
All the information is on post 84 and as the information provided by @needliftnow. I was advised to use sync version 3.08. As far as I know there is no advantage of having 3.10 and I know that some people have had problems installing navigation with 3.10. I can only go on what others advised me to do and it worked fine for me with 3.08 which is still on the car. Reading the posts on the XDA site may be helpful.
Good info. Wasn't aware about 3.08 being easier. I'll read more.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts