2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 Escape SE with the 1.6 eco-boost engine. 5,000 miles and the engine overheated and shut down. I had to have the car towed. Ford had a voluntary recall on these engines and corrected it with a software update. My car supposedly had this update however it is doing the very thing the recall was supposed to correct. It is overheating at the dealer and they can't find the problem??? Ford's hotline is having them jump through hoops trying different scenarios, but still not fixed.
Anyone having this problem

·
Registered
436 Posts
Very odd - sounds like the "fix" on the software that was causing the overheating may not have been done properly? I do not believe I have seen anyone else on here complaining of this happening.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Overheating issues with a vehicle can be seen as a safety issue as well since in some cases it can escalate quickly into a fire, would be rare on a new car though.

If your Ford dealer says they can't find the problem, they better buy back your vehicle, give you another Escape or something.

Maybe you can start with contacting the NHTSA Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) maybe then ford will take serious action

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hopefully they find a fix. If not. I'd demand for Ford to replace the engine or buyback the car.
Buy back is definitely the way to go, I would hate to own some car that had a ton of work done to it. Better off getting something brand new that's issue free.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the engine was indeed overheated . I would be concerned as to what damage that did it do?. warped head?, future head gasket blowing?. Did they pressure check your coolant system/ A closed system should not overheat unless there is a leak, either external or internal. Oh lordy, these dealers I here about including mine a horrid. I have a different problem , But If I had yours ? Id have to pressure check that engine.

good luck

rudy

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Aren't all the Escape motors closed cooling systems?

According to the poster there was a recall on the overheating issue? I haven't seen one before though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Aren't all the Escape motors closed cooling systems?

According to the poster there was a recall on the overheating issue? I haven't seen one before though.
Don't know mn. Im pretty sure all vehicles use a closed system. It could be a bad fan, or active shutters staying closed. But don't know?:confused:

rudy

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem!.Ford had my car for a few days to fix the problem. My car was ready on Tuesday 5/20.. Today is the 24th. Coming home from work the car starts alarming and displaying that its overheating and stop safely. Had to turn the car off for a few minutes. Once I started the car, didnt get very far. The car started overheating again and losing power. Thank goodness I was near a shopping strip. Car had to be towed. Servicing is closed so I have no car for Memorial weekend, I'm not very happy about it, but looking on the bright side this could have happened on the highway! My Ford is also 2013.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Bummer Sandy - thank goodness (like you said) you were not on the highway. Keep us in the loop and welcome aboard!

·
Registered
100 Posts
perhaps a turbo'd 1.6 is too small for a heavy car, i'm sure the turbo is having a bad time pulling the car away.

i always get to pull out of the raw specs of the 2.0 ecoboost to whoever ask about my engine when i tell them it's a 2L 4cyl AWD.

·
Registered
586 Posts
perhaps a turbo'd 1.6 is too small for a heavy car, i'm sure the turbo is having a bad time pulling the car away.

i always get to pull out of the raw specs of the 2.0 ecoboost to whoever ask about my engine when i tell them it's a 2L 4cyl AWD.
No not at all, the 1.6 has way more power than is needed for the Escape.
The overheat issues were caused by bad plumbing and possibly software glitches.
The 2014 1.6 has very different cooling system plumbing and updated software.
There are no known overheat issues with the 2014 1.6 engines.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Confirming what DKazoroski posted yesterday, I observed that the 1.6L EB engine seems to have no trouble moving the FE along quite well. I have set up an UltraGauge on my FE 1.6 and watched as the coolant temp routinely stabilizes at 195-201 deg. F (just like my 2012 F-150 with a 5.0L NA engine). At highway cruise speeds in non-hilly territory, the indicated engine load usually runs about 45% while the boost pressure only occasionally seems to kick in at all. Going up a hill that requires a downshift at cruise speeds, the boost will run up several lbs until the tranny shifts down to 5th, and the indicated engine load will occasionally push upwards of 100%. I have sometimes seen the engine coolant reach 205*F and then retreat, but not often...

BTW, just completed a weekend trip in the area, showing ~ 34 MPG overall on about a 90% highway / 10% city mix... part of that (outbound) was driving into a headwind, and part (return) was with additional luggage, etc. in the back... with ambient temps in the mid-upper 80s all the way, A/C was solid ON (AUTO mode) the whole trip...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Overheating..

I really am starting to wonder if it is related to the VIN number.

The letters in the VIN number indicate which version you have ie: DUA, DUB, DUC, DUD, DUE etc. The DUA indicates the earliest and the DUE the latest so far.

I have over 21k on my 2013 Escape with the 1.6 engine and no issues other than the longer bolt for the lift handle on the hatch covered by a TSB.

My letters for the VIN are DUD.

Just curious....

·
Registered
243 Posts
In your case the "DUD" indicates:
D = 2013
U = LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY Assembly Plant
D = First Character of the Production Sequence Number

The first letter of the Production Sequence Number could indicate some sort of version of the assembly. It is not necessarily related to the Engine version.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have the same problem!.Ford had my car for a few days to fix the problem. My car was ready on Tuesday 5/20.. Today is the 24th. Coming home from work the car starts alarming and displaying that its overheating and stop safely. Had to turn the car off for a few minutes. Once I started the car, didnt get very far. The car started overheating again and losing power. Thank goodness I was near a shopping strip. Car had to be towed. Servicing is closed so I have no car for Memorial weekend, I'm not very happy about it, but looking on the bright side this could have happened on the highway! My Ford is also 2013.
Let me see how I can help, Sandy. Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll take a look.

Ashley

1 - 20 of 80 Posts