2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,513 Posts
Hello. I took my 2013 FE, which I purchased new, into the dealership for the recall work about a month ago. This morning, my daughter barely made it to a parking lot when the engine overheated. My wife picked her up and drove her to school. The engine coolant was low so I added coolant and drove the car home. It made it but the engine light was still on although it did not get hot again. Is this issue ever going to be resolved??? What is Ford doing about this if anything?

You can also reach out to @FordService on this forum. Have you also searched on the forum for the other low coolant threads? You might be able to get more information from these threads. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i might be dumb, but can somebody care to tell me what is this "software update" that everybody seems to talk about?!? i feel like i'm driving an smartphone and not a car anymore the way you guys talk about.... it's not a tesla, how can a "software update" fix any of the engine problems?!?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
All modern vehicle control systems are run by computers. These read many different control states and run them through algorithms to determine how to best react. These algorithms are stored in the systems as software, so as they improve, the vehicle can make use of these improvements via software updates. A Tesla is no different than an Escape at this level, only the fuel has changed.
;)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hello. I took my 2013 FE, which I purchased new, into the dealership for the recall work about a month ago...
Welcome to the community, Rod! :D

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Let me look into this further. What’s the mileage? Also, did your vehicle get diagnosed by the dealer? If not, please make an appointment here. Let me know when it’s scheduled, and I’ll look into the available options to assist!

You can also reach out to @FordService on this forum...
Thanks for the mention, jshel101. :)

Have a wonderful day!

i might be dumb, but can somebody care to tell me what is this "software update" that everybody seems to talk about?...
Hello duhjeff,

I just want to clarify, is your vehicle experiencing any symptoms? If so, I’ll be happy to check my resources.

Tricia

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well..here we are again...back in April with 6,574 miles at our first oil change they found a bad water pump (leaking), so they replaced it.....today with 8,700 or so miles it over heated again and I got the "pull over alert" and it did the engine cut off routine... after just starting it and driving it about 1/4 mile or less down my street. Coolant level is low...just above the outlet though. It's at the dealer now...again. The coolant shouldn't go down that much within a couple thousand miles. Whenever we are done driving it, it has that "it was running hot" smell...not a coolant smell...hard to explain, but there is no coolant dripping anywhere from where we park...not too thrilled with my first Ford!
And there goes my head at 20k miles and a 1-2 month wait just for the parts!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the forum, vaportrails!

My name is Tricia, and I’m your U.S. Ford Customer Service rep. I’ll like to look into this further. Please private message (PM) your full name, VIN, dealer name, and best daytime phone number.

Once this info is received, you’ll be connected to a customer service manager for your region to assist.

Have a great day! :)

Tricia
Can't reply to the pm because I only posted 3 times and need 15? I didn't see the pm from last time because it went in and got fixed and forgot all about it. I'm back unfortunately! Do I need to complain about my Escape 12 more times first? I kinda figured one was enough....then 2, bit now 3?!

·
Super Moderator
5,513 Posts
Can't reply to the pm because I only posted 3 times and need 15? I didn't see the pm from last time because it went in and got fixed and forgot all about it. I'm back unfortunately! Do I need to complain about my Escape 12 more times first? I kinda figured one was enough....then 2, bit now 3?!

Just so you are aware, Ford Service no longer monitors this forum. Your best bet would be to call Ford customer service

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the Ford used one year ago and I’ve had nothing but issues since they sold me a Ford with a crack transmission and I’m still having to drive the car like that because I can’t afford a new transmission. So one day I realized I had a crack in my reservoir tank for the engine coolant and I could not afford to replace it until this fall but unfortunately when I replaced the tank it was cold out and i’m afraid that the lines may have got frozen but I replace the tank filled it with any freeze and ran the car for hours to pump it through it was good for several days but now it does not throw he and one of the fans runs like an airplane and the coolant tank is burning hot. But I also must say that this does not happen all the time it does run when it wants to I did have heat it was so hot I could not touch the vents, what does that mean? Now I received a recall letter in the mail in the spring of 2017 the letter stated that the parts for the recall we’re not gonna be available until the fourth quarter of 2017 and I can’t afford to pay to fix it until the parts come in and the recall is fixed for free. I bought a new car so I didn’t have to keep putting money into vehicles that I own except I purchased this vehicle one year ago from Sterling Ford on Ogilvy Road in Ottawa Ontario and I have had nothing but issues since I bought it and on top of that because I have such bad credit I’m paying double what the cars worth and with all these problems I want to just give it back and say **** ford they’re the worst ******* company in the world. How is this legal

·
Registered
287 Posts
I bought the Ford used one year ago and I’ve had nothing but issues since they sold me a Ford with a crack transmission and I’m still having to drive the car like that because I can’t afford a new transmission. So one day I realized I had a crack in my reservoir tank for the engine coolant and I could not afford to replace it until this fall but unfortunately when I replaced the tank it was cold out and i’m afraid that the lines may have got frozen but I replace the tank filled it with any freeze and ran the car for hours to pump it through it was good for several days but now it does not throw he and one of the fans runs like an airplane and the coolant tank is burning hot. But I also must say that this does not happen all the time it does run when it wants to I did have heat it was so hot I could not touch the vents, what does that mean? Now I received a recall letter in the mail in the spring of 2017 the letter stated that the parts for the recall we’re not gonna be available until the fourth quarter of 2017 and I can’t afford to pay to fix it until the parts come in and the recall is fixed for free. I bought a new car so I didn’t have to keep putting money into vehicles that I own except I purchased this vehicle one year ago from Sterling Ford on Ogilvy Road in Ottawa Ontario and I have had nothing but issues since I bought it and on top of that because I have such bad credit I’m paying double what the cars worth and with all these problems I want to just give it back and say **** ford they’re the worst ******* company in the world. How the **** is this legal
Sounds like your radiator is frozen solid so you can't reject any heat. You need to park you car in a heated garage overnight to thaw, and then replace everything in the coolant system with the proper mix of antifreeze. Test it when you're done to make sure the mix is right. If you live in Ottawa, why wouldn't you use antifreeze when servicing the coolant system? Don't blame Ford when you made the mistake of using water instead of the proper antifreeze mix. If you wrecked the engine that's on you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ford Escape 2013 1.6 L Eco-Boost. We are having the same problem as the rest of you. Overheating within a couple of miles of driving. Outside weather conditions have nothing to do with it - it has happened on cooler days more than warmer days. If you run the a/c the entire time, you can keep it going. Apparently, ours was made during a timeframe where the software fix isn't needed. We have it at the dealership right now and they say the only fix is a new engine which will cost $8,000. We're going to pick it up and take it to an independent guy - but seriously? 120,000 miles and 5 years old and it needs a new engine. Any ideas guys? Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ford Escape 2013 1.6 L Eco-Boost. We are having the same problem as the rest of you. Overheating within a couple of miles of driving. Outside weather conditions have nothing to do with it - it has happened on cooler days more than warmer days. If you run the a/c the entire time, you can keep it going. Apparently, ours was made during a timeframe where the software fix isn't needed. We have it at the dealership right now and they say the only fix is a new engine which will cost $8,000. We're going to pick it up and take it to an independent guy - but seriously? 120,000 miles and 5 years old and it needs a new engine. Any ideas guys? Thanks!
Have you verified all the recalls have been completed? There were lots of problems and recalls with the early Escape 1.6 engines

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you verified all the recalls have been completed? There were lots of problems and recalls with the early Escape 1.6 engines

Yes I verified that all had been done that we’re required. The one recall having to do with overheating did not apply to our VIN

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having a overheating issue right now 2014 SE, was some sort of Sync maintaince earlier in the day, driving on the highway..suddenly lost some power, managed to safely get off the highway. Had it recently in the shop for a transmission fluid change on the 13th and all recalls were checked to be upto date

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well here I am, another ford owner with their 2013 1.6L eco boost over heating. I bought the car a week ago, and it started over heating 2days ago. I was told that ALL of the recalls were fixed so I'm stuck at this point. My temp gauge goes from half all the way to RED and my dash starts dinging and telling me to pull over. I just need some direction on what to do or fix next? Has anyone ever used the lemon law? The dealer I bought it from pretty much said good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well here I am, another ford owner with their 2013 1.6L eco boost over heating. I bought the car a week ago, and it started over heating 2days ago. I was told that ALL of the recalls were fixed so I'm stuck at this point. My temp gauge goes from half all the way to RED and my dash starts dinging and telling me to pull over. I just need some direction on what to do or fix next? Has anyone ever used the lemon law? The dealer I bought it from pretty much said good luck.
You could try contacting your state attorney general for guidance too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you tried youtube? There are some fixes on there.

I have checked YouTube.. I went to a different dealer and they said that All of the recalls were "fixed". I bought this car at a local like buy here place. I ran it, let it run, test drove it, and everything was fine for a week now it just started. I don't know whether to change sensors or the thermostat, or they mentioned a bypass valve. Did I mention this was the first car I've ever bought. I'm starting to get very frustrated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have checked YouTube.. I went to a different dealer and they said that All of the recalls were "fixed". I bought this car at a local like buy here place. I ran it, let it run, test drove it, and everything was fine for a week now it just started. I don't know whether to change sensors or the thermostat, or they mentioned a bypass valve. Did I mention this was the first car I've ever bought. I'm starting to get very frustrated.
I think I'd you want some help, you need to post more information. What were you doing when it overheated? We're there any other symptoms? Does it always happen under the same conditions?

Most mechanics will need more info than just "it overheats." That goes doubly so for internet Escape enthusiasts/DIY-ers that can only go based on the information provided. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, but not a single one will be able to accurately diagnose your issue without more info.

While you're at it, can you please add your vehicle specs in your signature? That way, you can avoid answering the same questions every time you post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You could try contacting your state attorney general for guidance too.

My 2013 FE did the same~ it went to major HOT while idling in the drive. My head/block is cracked, diagnosed by local Ford. $5,800 to get it back on the road. It has 70,000 miles & has been well maintained by Ford. Yet~ it is NOT on the recall list. I contacted Ford Customer Relations-no help. I filed a complaint with NHTSA - maybe if all FE owners not on the recall, filed- maybe just maybe- they might open the recall window. Clearly there is an issue! Just a thought from a very unhappy Ford Owner.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts