2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why the escape gets such good reviews. I guess people have very low standards. I am appalled at some of the design decisions, as well as the abysmal reliability I have had. The biggest problem is issues the dealer cannot figure out, but they still exist. Phantoms. First, cooling system. My 2013 Escape has been to the dealer a t least 6 times in the three years I have owned it and they cannot find the source of the cooling system issue. It loses coolant, but no sign of where it's coming out. Not internal, as when the low coolant warning is issued and you pour coolant in, it runs out the bottom!! The tank still fills, but there is no sign where it is running out. Dealer can't figure it out, neither can I. Next thing. Phantom battery discharge. This has happened less often, but it makes the car totally unreliable. I'll get up in the morning, go out to the car, and nothing. Completely dead. Once it charges back up it seems fine, but I never know when it will happen again. Speaking of the battery, could they have found a better way to make it inaccessible?? Like a battery doesn't need to be replaced periodically, especially the OEM Ford version. Lasted only 3 years. I think the engineering team who designed this vehicle was given a challenge to make normal maintenance items as difficult to service as possible. Having to remove the wipers and the entire cowling under them to access the battery is ludicrous. Apparently not the sharpest engineers if they couldn't figure out how to do something that basic. And, how about that coolant expansion tank? Sure, why not put the cap at the back where you need a special funnel, even though the tank extends out from under the cowling? And then make the cap as hard as possible to remove, and oh yeah, let's make it take ten turns to remove it. Really?? And how about the location of the fuses? Why not put it under the glove box where you need to lay on your back? Seems perfectly acceptable to me. Oh yeah, then there is the cabin air filter, which has to be folded to fit it into its cavity. Wow. Just hope it unfolds properly so it can actually do its job. This is a regular maintenance item. It should be easier to get at. And don't get me started about the air filter. Again, design challenge. Make it as difficult as possible to service, even though it should be done at least every 12,000 miles. They knocked that one out of the park!! OK, so in summary, bad design, unreliable, difficult to maintain. The only bright spot is that it came with roadside service. Pretty obvious why, as it spends more time in the shop than on the road. This will be my last Ford, and soon. I can't wait to dump this total piece of crap.

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
@VTescapeOwner if you want some help with fixing your problems then more details about your Escape model are required. You bought it secondhand by the sounds of it? It's always a gamble buying a secondhand vehicle- it sounds like you inherited someone else's problems?

PS: You can access the battery by removing the air filter box. There are many posts on it. The search function will help you find info on most of the problems you've raised.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have owned these years of Ford Escape: 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013, and now a 2018. Never one major problem and a few minor that were repaired quickly. Bought them all new. Made sure the maintenance was done. In between 2013 and 2018 we owned two new 2015 Mustangs. The only problem with them was keeping back tires on them!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You clearly don't keep a car long enough to have problems, or exceed the warranty. I have had this car for three years and the battery has been replaced twice. Ford battery. Is it the battery, or the ridiculous battery maintenance system? Probably both. The cooling system problem remains a problem. When the battery was replaced earlier this week, they did a pressure test and could not find a leak. This is beyond annoying and a well documented problem by many owners on this forum. The problems with this vehicle have nothing to do with maintenance and everything to do with a lousy design. If the dealer(s) can't fix a problem, that's a huge problem. The car cannot be relied on, nor can the dealer repair facilities. I can't afford to own a car that leaves me stranded and no one can fix. Pitiful. I should have followed my own instincts and never bought this awful vehicle.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sounds to me like a little more research and critical thinking was needed. Everyone has the occasional hiccup. In '91 we bought an Olds Calais. My wife wanted the Quad Four engine. I said no, it was too new and it had reports of reliability issues. We got the Iron Duke, basically a 327 Chevy split down the middle. Loved the car. The Quad Four, was junk.
You still haven't said what engine you had in it. If it was the 1.5L engine, everyone who did any research knew that engine was a problem child. If you are expecting anyone to be different on finding creative ways of packing more into less space, you are a bit naive. Had you found this forum to do research rather than someplace to vent, it may have been that you wouldn't have bought THAT particular Escape, and found the type we rave about.
In other words, we're doing something constructive with our combined experience, not destructive.

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Sounds like you had a lemon, which really sucks. YOUR 2013 was the “worst car ever” for you. There are thousands of owners that never had an issue with their 2013 FE’s. If everyone had these kind of issues, then you would be thousands more registered on this forum reporting the same issues.

Have you tried different dealers to work on your vehicle? Or did you just stick to the one that maybe could not fix your car correctly? All vehicle manufacturers have issues with their vehicles. Some more than others, but there are issues that appear on all the vehicle models out there.

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Sounds to me like a little more research and critical thinking was needed. Everyone has the occasional hiccup. In '91 we bought an Olds Calais. My wife wanted the Quad Four engine. I said no, it was too new and it had reports of reliability issues. We got the Iron Duke, basically a 327 Chevy split down the middle. Loved the car. The Quad Four, was junk.
You still haven't said what engine you had in it. If it was the 1.5L engine, everyone who did any research knew that engine was a problem child. If you are expecting anyone to be different on finding creative ways of packing more into less space, you are a bit naive. Had you found this forum to do research rather than someplace to vent, it may have been that you wouldn't have bought THAT particular Escape, and found the type we rave about.
In other words, we're doing something constructive with our combined experience, not destructive.
Very well said. I believe the OP came here just to vent, IMO anyways. There are probably solutions on this forum for them if they spent the time to do the research.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My 2013 Escape has been to the dealer a t least 6 times in the three years I have owned it and they cannot find the source of the cooling system issue. It loses coolant, but no sign of where it's coming out. Not internal, as when the low coolant warning is issued and you pour coolant in, it runs out the bottom!! The tank still fills, but there is no sign where it is running out. Dealer can't figure it out, neither can I.
It's time to take it to another dealer. If it's running out the bottom, anyone worth paying should be able to find a liquid trail. Not all service departments are equal in skill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You clearly don't keep a car long enough to have problems, or exceed the warranty. I have had this car for three years and the battery has been replaced twice. Ford battery. Is it the battery, or the ridiculous battery maintenance system? Probably both. The cooling system problem remains a problem. When the battery was replaced earlier this week, they did a pressure test and could not find a leak. This is beyond annoying and a well documented problem by many owners on this forum. The problems with this vehicle have nothing to do with maintenance and everything to do with a lousy design. If the dealer(s) can't fix a problem, that's a huge problem. The car cannot be relied on, nor can the dealer repair facilities. I can't afford to own a car that leaves me stranded and no one can fix. Pitiful. I should have followed my own instincts and never bought this awful vehicle.
Actually when I trade in a car there is a family that buys it. They keep it until I do my next trade, or did anyway. The Mustangs stopped that for them. They are eagerly waiting for my 2018 now. I really think you got a total lemon. I cannot discount that has happened to you. Chevy for you or....????

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not trying to be destructive, I don't even know what you mean by that. I just want some words here that will caution people considering buying one of these that like many cars, there is a cult following that doesn't care about the problems, especially if they are one of the lucky ones who don't have any. I own a Mazda RX8, which I love, so I do understand. Go look at the forums on that one!! I love to drive it and it has a novel engine, so I am willing to tolerate its quirks. Not so much with a cookie cutter SUV. IMHO, no better than any of the competition and design issues which really don't put a positive spin on the issues. I will repeat. Battery location. Really?? Like it never needs to be replaced. Cap on the coolant expansion tank?? I suppose if you never have to top it up, it's no big deal, but it was still a very stupid design decision, when the cap could easily have been put in a location that was easily accessible. If you haven't figured it out by now, I am an engineer :oops:. Low tolerance level for this kind of thing. BTW, it's a 1.6L. There was no 1.5L in 2013. As far as packing more into less space, it's a 1.6L. How much space is really needed?? A crappy design is a crappy design no matter how much or how little space it occupies. The failure of Ford to find a solution is the real problem here. As you say, all vehicles have issues. It is really quite amazing how reliable they are with how complex they have become. My irritation is really with how the manufacturer has failed to respond. It is said that bad things happen in all industries, it is how you respond to problems that sets you apart. I'd say, based on the number of posts for battery and cooling system issues, Ford has definitely set themselves apart, just not in a good way.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you haven't figured it out by now, I am an engineer :oops:.
I don't think anyone here would have guessed that, as your original post had the tone and telltale signs of someone who joins one of these forums to vent and complain and that's it, especially since many of the items you complain about have threads of discussion already. As an engineer myself, just calling yourself one doesn't mean squat these days, as the term easily gets attached to just about any job description. I can't argue the location of many regular maintenance items, other than to say Ford isn't the only one making life difficult. Part of it is engineering design (where they have left to place certain items), part of it is cost savings, and part is likely incentive to make non-mechanic-types take their vehicle in for service for "simple" items.. Unlike my old Fusion, at least you don't have to [seemingly] take half the engine apart just to replace a headlamp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually when I trade in a car there is a family that buys it. They keep it until I do my next trade, or did anyway. The Mustangs stopped that for them. They are eagerly waiting for my 2018 now. I really think you got a total lemon. I cannot discount that has happened to you. Chevy for you or....????
Of course I have gotten a lemon or two, but my worst experiences and consistent, are Ford. I have now owned three Fords in my 50 years of owning and driving cars and all have had issues, all traceable to poor design. The Escape is the worst of them, solely because Ford is unable or unwilling to provide a solution. I could get past the ridiculous design decisions of Ford were more responsive or committed to solving the problems. As far as searching the forums for a solution, I have done that and there is no solution I have found that addresses the phantom coolant loss. Three separate dealers have now looked at the car, none have identified a solution. This makes the car worthless, as it cannot be relied on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW, I have "graduated" to a half ton pickup. My wife and I have retired and are planning to tour the US with a travel trailer, so we needed something far more capable than the Escape. I have chosen the RAM 1500 V8, Big Horn quad cab. Motor Trend truck of the year two years running, mostly due to customer acceptance and their revolutionary coil over shock rear suspension, giving this truck the best ride in its class. It is a wonder why no one else has tried this simple design change. It's still a stiff rear axle. I have never owned a Chrysler product, so we will see. Hopefully better experience that the Escape. I did my homework, but that is only worth so much with so many fanatics out there that will say it's a wonderful vehicle, just because they bought one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Enjoy your Fiat truck. A co-worker of mine is about to have her RAM 1500 bought back via the Lemon Law. Hopefully you got one of the good ones.
Part of the reason I bought it is because of the high consumer satisfaction rating. The other is because of the industry ratings. All sites which do reviews of half ton pickups have the RAM rated number one. As mentioned earlier, all manufacturers have issues, no one has a perfect vehicle, there are always copies that just don't measure up. Make millions of anything and that will be the case. If you compare the Ford F150 and the RAM, you will see there have been far more consumer complaints filed on the F150. Mostly their new 10 speed transmission. Joint venture between Ford and GM. Maybe GM sabotaged the Ford design? Or maybe the same Ford engineer who decided the coolant recovery tank cap on the 2013 Escape should go under the cowl where it is impossible to access had too much say. In any event, I rolled the dice, we'll see where they land. Can't be any worse than my experience with the Escape. The bottom line with the RAM is it is the most comfortable half ton out there. We will be spending a lot of time in this vehicle, so comfort is hugely important. I really didn't even consider the F150 based on the problems I have had with the Escape. Idon't support companies that don't support their products.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Part of the reason I bought it is because of the high consumer satisfaction rating. The other is because of the industry ratings. All sites which do reviews of half ton pickups have the RAM rated number one.
Interesting, because the latest JD rankings of problems per 100 vehicles has Ram significantly below Ford, and the industry average.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Sounds like you have the 1.6L engine? also you purchased the 1st model year of the new gen. These are all things that if research was done, would or should of thrown a warning flag. unless you bought brand new in 2012/13. It is not an excuse for a car manufacture to release a bad car, but every manufacture has issues on every new model.

In our family there have been 4 escapes, 2 x 2005's, 1 x 2014 and 1 x 2015 with zero major issues besides common maintenance and parts at common known mileages. Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience, and it is a horrible lesson with time and money wasted, but I hope it is something to be learned from.

I also have a ram 1500, 2019 classic. There are odd things about it that I have, randomly the evic/speedo doesn't power off, common issue that drains your battery, no fix. Hope you have good luck with yours, mine has been fine for the most part. FCA only has a few car/engine/trans configs that are reliable enough for me to consider, and the v8 w/ that 8spd trans was one. Also you can add all the fancy oem parts and enable via alfaodb, kind of handy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very well said. I believe the OP came here just to vent, IMO anyways. There are probably solutions on this forum for them if they spent the time to do the research.
Interesting, because the latest JD rankings of problems per 100 vehicles has Ram significantly below Ford, and the industry average.
Yes, and lower is better. Fewer problems per 100 vehicles. Not sure where you are looking, but JD ranks Dodge second to Ford, but for no apparent reason. RAM beat Ford in 3 of the 5 ranking categories, while Ford beat RAM in only one and tied in the other. 2019 U.S. Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study: 10155ENG | J.D. POWER. And then there is the overall manufacturer rating. They rank well below RAM and Ddoge in this study as well. 2019 Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study | J.D. POWER. I did my homework this time. Ford didn't even make my list.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes, and lower is better. Fewer problems per 100 vehicles. Not sure where you are looking, but JD ranks Dodge second to Ford, but for no apparent reason. RAM beat Ford in 3 of the 5 ranking categories, while Ford beat RAM in only one and tied in the other. 2019 U.S. Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study: 10155ENG | J.D. POWER. And then there is the overall manufacturer rating. They rank well below RAM and Ddoge in this study as well. 2019 Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study | J.D. POWER. I did my homework this time. Ford didn't even make my list.
Check your sources: 2020 JD Power Dependability Study
Ford 126
Ram 140
Dodge 158
Industry Average 134

Therefore, Ram is RANKED lower than Ford.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.