2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Escape PHEV Titanium Premium
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the Escape PHEV world.

I would like to know if the ICE will start to heat the cabin when we activate Remote Start while the vehicle is in a garage heated to 7 degrees Celsius (45 F) ? Obviously I would not want that to happen in an enclosed space. But it would be great if it can prepare the cabin using only electricity while it is plugged in to Level 2.

Thanks in advance for your time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Valtor,

I've set my Escape Plug to warm up at 7:30 each AM. There does not seem to be any ICE engine running. It's all quiet as can be. It seems to start at 7:20 and the electric system runs the fan to attain cabin heat along with heated seats and wheel.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,576 Posts
The PHEV has a built in electric PTC cabin heater.
If the vehicle is plugged in, the ICE shouldn't start.
If the vehicle is unplugged and remote started the ICE will start as needed, it has no way of knowing if it is parked outside or in a garage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, but I think it technically could under the right conditions.
I think so too. I just hope the threshold is lower than 45F before the engine starts. On my 2017 Prius Prime, the engine would come on at around -12C (10F).

I've really gotten used to pre-heating the car with my Tesla Model 3 (which I just sold for a profit no less) and looking forward to continue doing so with this PHEV.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The PHEV has a built in electric PTC cabin heater.
If the vehicle is plugged in, the ICE shouldn't start.
If the vehicle is unplugged and remote started the ICE will start as needed, it has no way of knowing if it is parked outside or in a garage.
That's very good news indeed! :)

It is just so difficult to find technical info on the Escape PHEV. I could not even find a proper source confirming that it did in fact have any resistive heating at all. Some PHEV doesn't and rely entirely on the ICE to heat the cabin.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,576 Posts
Ford refers to it as a "Positive Temperature Coefficient" heater, it's pretty much a standard item on anything they have that plugs in to charge a HVB.
Strangely enough, the 2020MY+ with the 1.5L "Dragon" 3 cylinder is also equipped with one if the shipping destination is the northern US or Canada because it takes so long for that engine to produce heat when it gets really cold.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can confirm that the ICE never comes on in my garage while pre-heating. Even while plugged-in to 110v. But it is much better when using a Level 2 charger since it does not deplete the battery to pre-heat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts