2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Escape available options by year / package

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Wiz-Car 
#1 ·
Hello,
Just registered but have been looking around for a bit. Interested in buying a used Escape for myself. I'd like to spend less than $15k.
Looking at 3rd generation 2014 onward. I'd like a vehicle that fits my height 6'1". I recently test drove a 2014 SE but was a little uncomfortable with the
seat position in relation to the pedals and steering wheel. I did adjust the tilt of the steering wheel but I didn't notice a telescopic option.
The salesman said the car did not have adjustable pedals.

Is there some listing or catalog that would show me what years or makes of the Escape have certain features that I listed?
Also do any trim model packages have more sound deadening for road related noise?

#2 ·
Welcome.

I'm just over 6'1" and find enough leg and head room in my RHD Kuga Titanium (with the panoramic roof.) The steering on mine is telescopic, but I'm not sure if the equivalent US Escape has that standard?

#3 · (Edited)
All following for USA -

This sticky post might be of interest: '13+ USA Escape Order Guides.

Note that details of features and option bundling is highly inconsistent year-to-year and trim-to-trim and can be maddening to 'track'. And, not every feature change that has elicited a comment of surprise (especially 'de-contenting') on this forum is noted in the Build/Order Guides.

Re: Driver accommodation …..
  • All G3 Escapes have manual tilt and telescope steering column; a single lever at the base of the turn-signal stalk releases the column to adjust both (lift or drop / push or pull).
  • No G3 Escape has adjustable pedals.
Re: G3 acoustics / sound deadening ….
  • All years/trims have an Acoustic Glass windshield
  • AFAIK all '13-'16 trims have the same general NVH 'treatments'
  • Starting in 2016, SE & higher trims have Acoustic Glass front side windows
  • IIRC some advertising for the 2017 MY refresh touted 'improved NVH' but with no specific details and that's not mentioned in the Product Changes section of the 2017 Build/Order Guide
  • When shopping 'used' be aware that tire condition and tire brand/model can have a significant impact on perceived road noise (as well as pavement surface of course)
Hope that helps, happy shopping :)

#4 ·
Look for one with power seats. That helps have alot more up and down adjustability for taller or shorter people as opposed to the manual seat. I also was looking for a cheaper one last fall, found a 2016 SE with a 1.6 with the SE convinience pkg that has Sync 3, dual auto climate control, power drivers seat (others are manual) and roof rails. 16k miles and got it for about $16,500. Most of the titaniums I was looking at were around $19-20k and since its a backup/secondary vehicle for us I'm plenty happy with how this one is equipped and for what I paid for it.

But yes, even my base model S escape work provides me has the telescopic and tilt functions on the steering wheel. Thats across all trim levels.

#5 ·
I'm 6'2" and the fit is fine for me (SE, no pano roof). It did take a bit of getting used to, as my old Fusion seemed to have had a tad more leg room. It's all relative depending on your torso to leg length ratio. I didn't test any with a pano roof, but I know other cars lose a tad bit in the headroom department when a pano/sunroof is installed.

#6 ·
Thank you all for the wonderful answers. Sorry I'm just not reading them.
It sounds like the Escape I drove must have had telescopic steering wheel but I did not notice it. Quite possible.
That's a shame because i would have liked to get a feel without going thru the hassle of another test drive.
I learned how to drive on a stick shift so i continue to drive with my left hand at the 7 oclock position and the right free...The telescopic feature will surely help. The left side door arm rest though is positioned in a way I can't rest my arm and steer comfortably...at least on the test drive I felt that way :unsure:

centex: Thanks for the order guide. I was looking for something like this. I had done a lot of Google searching along with looking thru post on this forum but was striking out.

I think I'll test drive another Escape and see how I feel a second time. I'd like to have the car for a day to test but not sure if that's worthwhile or the used car dealer (Lincoln used car lot) would go for that. I was eyeballing a Fusion also and test drove one about a year ago....hard to recall the leg room/comfort with that one but might test drive that again also.

#7 ·
I do like the fusions. My wifes brother has one. Only thing I dislike about it since I'm rather tall as well is the step in and out height. You'd definitely feel like your sitting down in the car/on the ground. I much prefer the Escape in that aspect. Good luck on your car shopping! And, it never hurts to ask.....I know my local dealership let me take the Escape I bought home beforehand, had it for a full afternoon just to check it out.

Funny thing was I happened to find the previous owners insurance info in one of the seat pockets the detailers missed. I mailed it to them along with a pic of the escape and said hey, I bought your old car. Would you share any info on it? They mailed me back an envelope full of stuff Turned out it was an older retired couple that used it infrequently to drive to Florida several times....they also sent me copies of the service records, the original window sticker, and a hand written letter. Pretty interesting, very nice of them!

#8 ·
I do like the fusions. My wifes brother has one. Only thing I dislike about it since I'm rather tall as well is the step in and out height. You'd definitely feel like your sitting down in the car/on the ground. I much prefer the Escape in that aspect. Good luck on your car shopping!
Step-in height was one of the main reasons I didn't go back to another Fusion. Sadly/oddly, I found my wife's Fiesta easier to get in/out of than my old Fusion. I would, however, put up with that aspect/feeling if I was able to acquire a Mustang :cool:

#9 ·
klc317: Thanks on the extended "test drive" idea. I'll give that a shoot if I find one I like. That is so interesting you found that bit of info on the last owner and were able to track them down. Pretty nice that they had all the info and send it to you too! That's a dream.

Another question.
When doing research today I read about the 1.6 engines having many recalls and issues.
I'd already set my sights on a 2014 or later figuring 2013 would have some issues to be worked out. Sounds like 2014 had some recalls also. I've done a lot of searching and reading and my eye balls are hurting!

Is it best to avoid a 2014 / 2015 / 2016 Escape with a 1.6 EcoBoost and look for only the 2.5 or 2.0 EcoBoost varieties? Or would 2014 Escapes hopefully have had the recall preformed and they are "safe" to live a nice long life now?

#10 ·
Couldn't get these links into my post but my main sources of info on my questions were from threads in this forum title " What year models are included in the recall" and "What engine do I want instead of the 1.6 liter ecoboost"

If anyone can give me advise I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

#11 ·
Is it best to avoid a 2014 / 2015 / 2016 Escape with a 1.6 EcoBoost and look for only the 2.5 or 2.0 EcoBoost varieties?
[/QUOTE]

Simple answer is, yes..;)

#13 ·
We've had two 2016s, both with 1.6s. No problems at all. When you think of the multi millions of the Escapes built from 2013 to now the percentage of engine problems of any of them is very low. Every car or truck built in mass numbers is gonna have a few problems.

#14 ·
Better off to stick with engine options that are less likely to suffer problems IMHO. I've read of quite a few people who have had problems with the 1.6l EcoBoost and have then sold it as soon as it was fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.