2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Escape door noise

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  14theroad 
#1 ·
This is my last hope in this issue as I’ve taken my 2019 Escape to the dealer and of course they can’t replicate the issue which I think is bull. They had it for a week and I know for a fact the issue happens everyday. When I open my front doors almost every other time after the car has been sitting (don’t open the back enough to know if it’s an issue with them as well) there is an awful mechanical sounding noise that sounds like it comes from underneath the car. It almost sounds like someone put the mechanism in for drop down foot steps but the car doesn’t have those. It doesn’t however do the noise every single time you open the door. It has to be sitting for at least a few minutes which was thoroughly explained to my awful dealership. I can’t figure out what it is but it is loud, embarrassing, and driving me nuts! Please help! here’s a Video with the issue. Again, it sounds like it comes from right underneath the door.

#4 ·
Mine makes a noise when opening the doors- I think it's the steering wheel column lock releasing.

PS: The noise doesn't sound loud in the video.

#6 ·
You sure it's the door and not coming from under the vehicle or from the interior under the rear seat? That's sounds like a fuel pump priming to me. In most regular fuel injected vehicles the fuel pump primes when the ignition is turned to the on position. In GDI like the Escape and others, and even some more recent regular injected vehicles, the pump primes the second the drivers door is opened. This is so you the fuel system is ready to start the car the instant you turn the key or hit the start button (if you're keyless starting).

The High Pressure fuel delivery required for a GDI needs a stable flow of fuel to avoid problems. By priming the fuel system the second a door is opened, it gives the system enough time to stabilize to avoid rough starts or worse, damage to the high Pressure fuel pump from trying to run with an unstable flow.

If it's the fuel pump priming, that is totally normal. My daughters 2017 2.0and my wifes 2013 VW Turbo beetle both have that sound and they are both GDI. My 08 Mustang V8 only has that sound when the key is first put to the on position.

Quick test is to locate the fuel system/fuel pump fuse and/or relay and pull it, then open the door. Sound gone? Source located and confirmed.

#7 ·
You sure it's the door and not coming from under the vehicle or from the interior under the rear seat? That's sounds like a fuel pump priming to me. In most regular fuel injected vehicles the fuel pump primes when the ignition is turned to the on position. In GDI like the Escape and others, and even some more recent regular injected vehicles, the pump primes the second the drivers door is opened. This is so you the fuel system is ready to start the car the instant you turn the key or hit the start button (if you're keyless starting).

The High Pressure fuel delivery required for a GDI needs a stable flow of fuel to avoid problems. By priming the fuel system the second a door is opened, it gives the system enough time to stabilize to avoid rough starts or worse, damage to the high Pressure fuel pump from trying to run with an unstable flow.

If it's the fuel pump priming, that is totally normal. My daughters 2017 2.0and my wifes 2013 VW Turbo beetle both have that sound and they are both GDI. My 08 Mustang V8 only has that sound when the key is first put to the on position.

Quick test is to locate the fuel system/fuel pump fuse and/or relay and pull it, then open the door. Sound gone? Source located and confirmed.
Wow!! Thanks so much for the info. It does sound like it comes from underneath as noted above, so maybe the fuel pump is my culprit. If that is it, I hate that it’s normal. I appreciate the feedback. I’ll try to have someone help me with your suggestion to pinpoint the fuel pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.