Votes: 2 8.7%

Votes: 3 13.0%

Votes: 5 21.7%

Votes: 13 56.5%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like my 2021 PHEV Titanium so well I have ordered a similar 2022, just a different color (Star White vs Iconic Silver). Traded my 2019 Lincoln MKC 2.0 for the 2021, and will trade my 2022 Escape SE Hybrid for the 2022...hopefully will be built in time to still get the $6,843 Federal Tax credit this year.

·
Registered
2022 Escape SE PHEV
16 Posts
My wife and I bought the Escape PHEV for driving around town (generally within 20 miles of our house) with some occasional long trips of up to 500 miles. We have had the car for about 2 months and have driven about 85% of the miles so far on plug-in electricity. We have not been on a long trip yet, so I can't comment on its fuel efficiency except to say that we have only used about half a tank of gas in the first 1300 miles. The Escape is a nice combination of small on the outside and roomy on the inside. Choosing the PHEV over the standard hybrid was a no brainer because the $6843 tax credit here in the USA made the net cost of the PHEV lower than the standard hybrid. Our initial impression is that this car is perfect for our usage scenario. We are very happy with our Escape PHEV so far and therefore rate it 5 stars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I really like the fuel mileage, since I use it almost always around town and short, (20 miles or less) on the highway. The car itself is OK. FoMoCo and the dealer, not so much.
This is the 7th new vehicle I have owned in the past 15 years. It is the ONLY one that has had to be returned to the dealer for issues. It is also the only Ford product.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We love our 2021 PHEV Escape wonderful around town. However, I only rated at a 4 because the FORD Dealer has been a royal pain. The Vehicle has a couple of somewhat Minor issues and Lithia Ford in Boise Idaho has had the car twice, one time for a full week and they fixed nothing. The Foot actuated tailgate has never worked. The Subwoofer in the rear sounds terrible unless the Bass is turned all the way off. And last but most importantly the Charge method using a quality Charge Cord on level 2 with 230 volts trips the unit circuit regularly. Have actually purchased two separate Very well-rated Charge Cords. It trips on either Charge Cord and FORD says: Well just charge with the supplied 120 Volt Charge Cord. We are NOT impressed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with our 230 Volt 50 AMP Service.
GARY
Stanley Idaho

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We love our 2021 PHEV Escape wonderful around town. However, I only rated at a 4 because the FORD Dealer has been a royal pain. The Vehicle has a couple of somewhat Minor issues and Lithia Ford in Boise Idaho has had the car twice, one time for a full week and they fixed nothing. The Foot actuated tailgate has never worked. The Subwoofer in the rear sounds terrible unless the Bass is turned all the way off. And last but most importantly the Charge method using a quality Charge Cord on level 2 with 230 volts trips the unit circuit regularly. Have actually purchased two separate Very well-rated Charge Cords. It trips on either Charge Cord and FORD says: Well just charge with the supplied 120 Volt Charge Cord. We are NOT impressed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with our 230 Volt 50 AMP Service.
GARY
Stanley Idaho
Thanks for your post.
Have you tried charging at a public station to see if it will charge at 230v or even the Ford dealer should have a 230v charger to make sure it is not the car causing it to trip the breaker?

·
Registered
36 Posts
.... Charge method using a quality Charge Cord on level 2 with 230 volts trips the unit circuit regularly. Have actually purchased two separate Very well-rated Charge Cords. It trips on either Charge Cord and FORD says: Well just charge with the supplied 120 Volt Charge Cord. We are NOT impressed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with our 230 Volt 50 AMP Service.
GARY
Stanley Idaho
Is it the EVSE that is tripping? Or the Escape itself? Either way, it's the charger onboard the escape that actually controls how much current is being pulled. The EVSE just tells the Escape what the current limit of the EVSE is, which should be below the limit of the circuit it's plugged into. So if it's pulling too much current, Either the EVSE is signaling a higher current than it should be, or the Escape's charger is pulling more current than it should be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it the EVSE that is tripping? Or the Escape itself? Either way, it's the charger onboard the escape that actually controls how much current is being pulled. The EVSE just tells the Escape what the current limit of the EVSE is, which should be below the limit of the circuit it's plugged into. So if it's pulling too much current, Either the EVSE is signaling a higher current than it should be, or the Escape's charger is pulling more current than it should be.
I sell ford parts n keys to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Escape PHEV
47 Posts
That doesn't sound right, what is it actually doing that you don't like?

Paul
since they updatedthe bcm, when it’s 2Celcius or below, the ICE kicks in, heater or not.
that’s my major complaint.

before the update, i could easily go -12Celcius without the engine kicking in.

however, the engine is now smoother and quieter.

·
Registered
2022 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid (400A - Trailer hitch) Non-Plugin - Carbonized Metallic Grey
23 Posts
since they updatedthe bcm, when it’s 2Celcius or below, the ICE kicks in, heater or not.
that’s my major complaint.

before the update, i could easily go -12Celcius without the engine kicking in.

however, the engine is now smoother and quieter.
I only just got my Escape Hybrid so only have experience at the absolute lowest around -4C, but I had the thought that this was to initially have the engine "warm up" right off the bat so when it was needed down the road it wasn't kicking on colder than it should be if I am driving at like 50km/h+.

My ICE engine turns off once it has ran for a brief moment. To me this seems to perhaps put less wear on the engine.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,076 Posts
I wanted to remind everyone that this is a PHEV owners satisfaction poll thread. Please create a new thread if you want to discuss the non plug-in hybrid.

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV Bronze Fire
97 Posts
GARY
Stanley Idaho
Gary, The problem may not be with your Charge Cord device but it sounds like a house ground issue. I recommend you have a Qualified Electrician come to the house and inspect and test the circuit. When I say Qualified Electrician, you should look for one that knows how to install/inspect home auto charge systems. Explain/show to the tech your issue. They are often listed as installing chargers for Tesla. Most Charge Cords require a circuit that supplies the 220/240 power from a ground fault detector circuit. When I had mine installed I had a 220 braker that was available and unused but the Qualified Electrician said he need to replace the braker with a ground fault detector. Just a recommendation that may fix your issue. Have you ever taken the car to a public charge location? They use 220/240 level 2 chargers. Are you able to charge up your car? If it works there then it is not an issue with the car but at your home electrical circuit. You may need to have it inspected by a Qualified Electrician. BTW, your FORD deal has a level 2 charger just pull up and use it for 20 minutes and watch the charge indicator on the SYNC display. Is it charging? If so then you have an issue at home.

·
Registered
2021 Ford Escape SE PHEV
8 Posts
I've owned a 2021 Escape PHEV for 2.5 months now and I am giving it 2 stars.

I really like the idea of the car and the hybrid system is more or less working but there are just so many other issues that a new vehicle just shouldn't have.

From the beginning, the ICE has been shaking and rattling when cold and when heater/ac is off.
ICE has been shaking and rattling when the transmission is in neutral.

There is a 2 step process to fix that: the first step is for the dealership to update the software. If this doesn't work, then the clutch needs to be replaced. It's been 1.5 months now since I've been waiting for the part and it still hasn't arrived yet.

The software update made things even worse: the ICE is still not working properly but now it starts every time if the outside temperature is close to or below 0 C, which won't allow me to drive exclusively on the battery. It doesn't happen when it's warm outside but it's going to start again in the Fall.

The build quality is amazingly terrible: my left rear lamp sticks out of the body, the windshield is not centered and I can see no gap between the windshield and the a-pillar on the passenger side while there is like 0.5 cm gap on the driver's side. The doors on both sides of the car are not aligned and it's physically impossible to close the front passenger door from the first attempt.

The battery performance is not consistent at all. I always encounter a sudden loss of about 10km of range after the first drive even if I did the preconditioning at home. The range on the display is rarely accurate.

And, of course, the wind noise. Oh my God, that wind noise! I hate it so much. Sometimes it starts even at 50km/h but it's almost unbearable when I am driving above 80km/h.

The worst part is that aside from the engine shaking, the dealer doesn't want to recognize any other issues. Sticking lamp? It's fine. Not aligned doors - seem aligned to them! And the fact that the door trim doesn't fit and it's obvious from like 5m, it's not a big deal to them - it's only appearances. Wind noise? They don't hear any, etc. And I am talking about the best dealership in town according to the reviews. The rest should be even worse than that.

I bought this Ford to replace my 2011 Prius that had 300,000km on it. Never had a single issue with that car, so you could imagine my frustration to encounter That with a new vehicle.

Luckily, I put a deposit for the Toyota BZ4X in January. Can't wait to go back to Toyota, which is kind of a shame because I really liked Ford in the beginning.

Here are a few shots of the build quality:
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

1 - 20 of 24 Posts