Votes: 1 3.3%

Votes: 1 3.3%

Votes: 4 13.3%

Votes: 8 26.7%

Votes: 16 53.3%

Escape PHEV owners satisfaction poll

8K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  Alayne 
#1 ·
If you own an escape phev please rate your satisfaction level from 1 to 5 Stars.

#2 ·
I like my 2021 PHEV Titanium so well I have ordered a similar 2022, just a different color (Star White vs Iconic Silver). Traded my 2019 Lincoln MKC 2.0 for the 2021, and will trade my 2022 Escape SE Hybrid for the 2022...hopefully will be built in time to still get the $6,843 Federal Tax credit this year.

#4 ·
My wife and I bought the Escape PHEV for driving around town (generally within 20 miles of our house) with some occasional long trips of up to 500 miles. We have had the car for about 2 months and have driven about 85% of the miles so far on plug-in electricity. We have not been on a long trip yet, so I can't comment on its fuel efficiency except to say that we have only used about half a tank of gas in the first 1300 miles. The Escape is a nice combination of small on the outside and roomy on the inside. Choosing the PHEV over the standard hybrid was a no brainer because the $6843 tax credit here in the USA made the net cost of the PHEV lower than the standard hybrid. Our initial impression is that this car is perfect for our usage scenario. We are very happy with our Escape PHEV so far and therefore rate it 5 stars.

#6 ·
I really like the fuel mileage, since I use it almost always around town and short, (20 miles or less) on the highway. The car itself is OK. FoMoCo and the dealer, not so much.
This is the 7th new vehicle I have owned in the past 15 years. It is the ONLY one that has had to be returned to the dealer for issues. It is also the only Ford product.

#9 ·
We love our 2021 PHEV Escape wonderful around town. However, I only rated at a 4 because the FORD Dealer has been a royal pain. The Vehicle has a couple of somewhat Minor issues and Lithia Ford in Boise Idaho has had the car twice, one time for a full week and they fixed nothing. The Foot actuated tailgate has never worked. The Subwoofer in the rear sounds terrible unless the Bass is turned all the way off. And last but most importantly the Charge method using a quality Charge Cord on level 2 with 230 volts trips the unit circuit regularly. Have actually purchased two separate Very well-rated Charge Cords. It trips on either Charge Cord and FORD says: Well just charge with the supplied 120 Volt Charge Cord. We are NOT impressed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with our 230 Volt 50 AMP Service.
GARY
Stanley Idaho

#20 · (Edited)
I've owned a 2021 Escape PHEV for 2.5 months now and I am giving it 2 stars.

I really like the idea of the car and the hybrid system is more or less working but there are just so many other issues that a new vehicle just shouldn't have.

From the beginning, the ICE has been shaking and rattling when cold and when heater/ac is off.
ICE has been shaking and rattling when the transmission is in neutral.

There is a 2 step process to fix that: the first step is for the dealership to update the software. If this doesn't work, then the clutch needs to be replaced. It's been 1.5 months now since I've been waiting for the part and it still hasn't arrived yet.

The software update made things even worse: the ICE is still not working properly but now it starts every time if the outside temperature is close to or below 0 C, which won't allow me to drive exclusively on the battery. It doesn't happen when it's warm outside but it's going to start again in the Fall.

The build quality is amazingly terrible: my left rear lamp sticks out of the body, the windshield is not centered and I can see no gap between the windshield and the a-pillar on the passenger side while there is like 0.5 cm gap on the driver's side. The doors on both sides of the car are not aligned and it's physically impossible to close the front passenger door from the first attempt.

The battery performance is not consistent at all. I always encounter a sudden loss of about 10km of range after the first drive even if I did the preconditioning at home. The range on the display is rarely accurate.

And, of course, the wind noise. Oh my God, that wind noise! I hate it so much. Sometimes it starts even at 50km/h but it's almost unbearable when I am driving above 80km/h.

The worst part is that aside from the engine shaking, the dealer doesn't want to recognize any other issues. Sticking lamp? It's fine. Not aligned doors - seem aligned to them! And the fact that the door trim doesn't fit and it's obvious from like 5m, it's not a big deal to them - it's only appearances. Wind noise? They don't hear any, etc. And I am talking about the best dealership in town according to the reviews. The rest should be even worse than that.

I bought this Ford to replace my 2011 Prius that had 300,000km on it. Never had a single issue with that car, so you could imagine my frustration to encounter That with a new vehicle.

Luckily, I put a deposit for the Toyota BZ4X in January. Can't wait to go back to Toyota, which is kind of a shame because I really liked Ford in the beginning.

Here are a few shots of the build quality:
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

#22 ·
And, of course, the wind noise. Oh my God, that wind noise! I hate it so much. Sometimes it starts even at 50km/h but it's almost unbearable when I am driving above 80km/h.
I didn't notice any in particular when I demo'd a 2021 hybrid. Personally I found the loudest noise to be the tires. I drove it up to 100km/h. I honestly struggled to even hear the engine on it to tell if it was running when on city streets.

Any idea what part of the car the wind noise is coming from?

#23 ·
We have about 4000 miles on our Escape PHEV. Last month we used no gas for the entire month. Just drive around town in electric mode. Have a charger in our garage which is very convenient. Just pull in and plug in. I will have to say we have not had any of the issues Zabrodov has had. Keep my fingers crossed. I have owned 6 Toyotas. All good cars but 'so far' not any thing exceptional over the Escape we have now. I will say the Escape sound system is better than any of the other cars I have had. Don't notice as much road noise as our CRV has. I did have a Tacoma pickup that had the transmission totally fail at 20,000 miles. Toyota replaced with no questions asked. Which I appreciated but wondered if they might have been some issue with the transmissions in the first place or I just got a lemon. Also, owned two Hondas. I actually like the Hondas better than all the Toyotas I have had. Brother in-law has a Honda Accord with over 500,000 miles on it. The most I have every had on a vehicle is around 150K. I looked at the Rav Prime but it could not be towed 4 wheels down and surprisingly the local dealer here would not service it! I would have had to take it to a dealer in the city 100+ miles away.

#24 ·
No real complaints with our 2022 Titanium PHEV so far.Has about 1600 km so far and still on the first tank.Find it to be nice to drive and quiet.Still learning all the driver aids and different drive modes.Will be going on it's first extended trip next week which will be about 600 kms in total.Will see how it makes out steady HWY driving as far as gas usage is concerned.The only thing I would like to see different right now is that in my opinion the side mirrors could be a little larger.I do find that that the view is limited especially in height.I like to see the road at the bumper and still be tall enough to see the full car in the blind spot

#25 ·
I've had a 2021 Escape PHEV since September. In November, the "overheat" light went on even though it had a full tank of antifreeze, it wasn't warm out, and I hadn't driven more than 5 miles. Took it to the dealer and they took a week or two just to diagnose the problem. It was the electric battery system overheating, although there's no way to tell that based on the indicator light on the dashboard. They replaced a part, which took another two or three weeks, and since then it's been fine.

Most of the trips I make are 5-10 miles. I found that in the winter, the ICE would stay on for most if not all of the first trip of the day. Then on the next trip (say, coming home from work), the electric power would kick on. Is that normal? Now that it's warm again, it's been using almost exclusively electric power. I've driven almost 3,000 miles and I'm at 150 MPG.

#27 ·
Obviously #1 isn't a problem, you fixed it.
#2 It hasn't been to much of a problem for me, I realize it isn't a Tesla.
#3 I have floored it numerous times in EV Now and the ICE hasn't come on, it must be a setting problem.
#4 Here is a Link Ford Kuga - Towing Capacity & Weight Limit Information It looks like 1650 LBS wo/ trailer brakes and 3960 LBS with trailer brakes. It looks like FORD is saying wo/ brakes number.
#5 PHEV Home Charging thread has solutions for this problem.

Paul

#28 · (Edited)
Obviously #1 isn't a problem, you fixed it.
#2 It hasn't been to much of a problem for me, I realize it isn't a Tesla.
#3 I have floored it numerous times in EV Now and the ICE hasn't come on, it must be a setting problem.
#4 Here is a Link Ford Kuga - Towing Capacity & Weight Limit Information It looks like 1650 LBS wo/ trailer brakes and 3960 LBS with trailer brakes. It looks like FORD is saying wo/ brakes number.
#5 PHEV Home Charging thread has solutions for this problem.

Paul
Im slowly finding workarounds lol. Got my level 2, 8 amp charging going at work from a 120 outlet. As far as the ice engine I've disabled hill assist but mine keeps coming on in EV only mode while using the co pilot 360. It does it when the traffic slows down and then speeds up abruptly on the highway. It could use just a little more electric Punch for merging on the expressway and passing. I can make it to work now in EV only with one or two miles to spare and the drive home I can barely make it depending on my route. Currently I have to detour around construction and the ice comes on the last 3-5 miles as it's uphill all the way home. I realize it isn't a Tesla lol but it could accelerate better than my 1981 diesel rabbit pickup with low compression lol. I have an on ramp where 35 mph traffic merges with 80mph and it's a struggle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.