2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Escape Spring Codes ?

12K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  SilverEscapades2017 
#1 ·
Anyone know how to translate the spring codes if say you want to order a different spring?
2014 1.6 SE Awd

Here’s the info on the door:
Text Font

Text Font Ticket

So springs are listed as HH MM
I’m assuming that’s a left and right front H spring and a l/r rear M spring.
They also show up as a Focus spring.

My question is how to determine what these spring rates are or at least relative rates to other letters. I’m looking into Kuga springs that fit Bilstein B6 struts.

See less See more
#2 ·
Anyone know how to translate the spring codes if say you want to order a different spring?
2014 1.6 SE Awd

Here’s the info on the door:
View attachment 75587
View attachment 75588
So springs are listed as HH MM
I’m assuming that’s a left and right front H spring and a l/r rear M spring.
They also show up as a Focus spring.

My question is how to determine what these spring rates are or at least relative rates to other letters. I’m looking into Kuga springs that fit Bilstein B6 struts.
Good question, I noticed this too when just browsing though the Ford parts websites on springs..They list like 2-3 different numbers for the same yr, model, and wheel size...Can't figure that out ..Would they have changed the spring rates that many times, and how would you know which is which...??

#3 ·
The sites usually say to order by spring code. I would assume it might change with options like awd, different engines.

I suspect the springs are somewhat standard to a few models like the Focus, Escape. They have different rates though, thus the different letters.

I found out about the codes through an F-150 forum. With that vehicle there’s a big range in needed spring rates.

#4 ·
FWIW
My Escape (see sig block) door tag showed spring code "JJPP"
The VIN-specific vehicle build summary report I ran from Ford ETIS shortly after purchasing listed the following PNs:
● CV61-5310-MJ L/F Coil
● CV61-5310-MJ R/F Coil
● CV61-5B669-PM L/R Coil/Spring
● CV61-5B669-PM R/R Coil/Spring

No idea if that helps at all, just offering.

#5 ·
Interesting.
You have JJ PP with fwd 2.0.
I have HH MM with awd 1.6. (17” wheels)
You had 17” wheels?

I assume the 1.6 and 2.0 use the same block? If so it looks like the lower the letter the stiffer the spring?

#6 · (Edited)
Yes on 17" wheels (not sure how that would affect springs since wheel/tires are unsprung weight; shock damping maybe, but not springs).

No idea what weight difference there is between a complete 1.6 vs complete 2.0 engine assembly.

No assumptions by me on anything else; certainly not assuming any hard-and-fast 'logic' between spring code or PN and spring rate (inventory / assembly-line computers don't need that sort of logical numbering scheme, just a table for association to a weight range; dropping-in a new 'out-of-sequence' letter/number when a new spec part is needed doesn't bother them one bit).

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if a VIN-specific 'spec' were calculated based on all options including factors such as OE trailer package and springs at each end assigned based on that.

Not saying that's done, just that it wouldn't surprise me if it were, it'd be easy to do with modern assembly methods.

#7 ·
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if a VIN-specific 'spec' were calculated based on all options including factors such as OE trailer package and springs at each end assigned based on that.
Aha trailer package!
Yes, but I bet yours didn’t have that...

As for wheels, agreed. Still don’t know why the 17,19 wheels have the same front strut, but the 18 is different. (And usually more expensive presumably due to less of them)

In terms of letters, I doubt they went random. Seems to be quite the tradition of letter spring codes.

Like this:
Text Font Line Number Parallel

www.f150forum.com/f118/spring-decoder-416380/

#10 ·
Does that make any sense to anyone? Which is thicker?
It's a bit more complex than that- we're talking different diameters and hollow vs solid bars. There's a big thread on it I started a few years back.

You should have kept all your spring/ strut/ Kuga vs Escape suspension questions in one thread- it would have been a lot easier!

#12 ·
Earlier Escape models (like 2010) were a shared platform with the Mazda Tribute. The Kuga is based on the Focus. Google some pics and you'll quickly see they're totally different vehicles.

#13 ·
Ok, makes sense since.

That ford.7zap site lists 5310 as the spring. But stops there. No details or links.

But the numbers are more than that and you get to the letter code on spring.
Text Font Line Number

So, then there’s the part # listed there and what I guess is the spring code part #.
Let’s take : CV6Z-5310-K
In the details for that part you get this:
  • Positions: Left, Right
  • Other Names: Spring, Spring - Front
  • Description:
    Escape. Code cv615310bh. Code cv61-5310-bh.
  • Notes: Order By Spring Code.
So, I’d take it that part number, CV6Z-5310-K , is for front spring code H.

Interesting, that then you get this. Would love to see this for the Kuga.
Text Font Line Document Number

www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-coil-spring-cv6z5310k/?c=Zz1mcm9udC1zdXNwZW5zaW9uJnM9c3RydXRzLWFuZC1jb21wb25lbnRzJmk9TUsxMzI0NTUmcj03JmE9Zm9yZCZvPWVzY2FwZSZ5PTIwMTQmdD1zZSZlPTEtNmwtbDQtZ2Fz

#19 ·
I checked my door sticker:

2016 AWD 1.6 SE
17” aluminum wheels
No tow package
Spring codes
CC CC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Were they still selling the 1.6l EcoBoost in 2016?

Where is the sticker located with that spring code? I don't think the Kuga has that info on the vehicle stickers.

#21 · (Edited)
so does anyone have a cross reference table for spring codes? if like to replace mine with the towing package rear springs (mebbe front too) since I'm ordering the B6s.

so I've got a 2017 SE. no towing package. 17s

spring code BBBB

I'd like to replace them with stiffer springs as I've added a hitch for towing small stuff.... also a bit stiffer ride would be nice.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.