2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

First of all.... I'm french so sorry for my English.

I'm new to the forum. 3 month ago I bought a 2014 Ford escape SE AWD 1.5 ecoboost.

I got some error in dashboard when i try to start my SUV that wont lets me start it. (no rev at all .... error stop the starting system)

Its happen when its about -12 outside ans later in the day when temperature comeback to like -8... no more error and its start back.

I got some picture that are in french but anyone can help me out with the problem.... I live in Quebec Canada so the minus 30 is coming and i need my SUV this winter.

Here are my best translation for the picture :
1- Assisted directeion failure, service required
2- Motor failure, Immediate service
3- Paking aid failure, service required
4- Parking break failure, Immediate service

Its like the 3rd time its happen to me so i'm 100% sure its all about the temperature outside... when i go to dealer its not cold enough to get the error back.
I've got a appointement on december 10 i hope they gonna know how to fix it.

But ill take all your advice to help me out.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum. 3 month ago I bought a 2014 Ford escape SE AWD 1.5 ecoboost.

I got some error in dashboard when i try to start my SUV that wont lets me start it. (no rev at all .... error stop the starting system)

Its happen when its about -12 outside ans later in the day when temperature comeback to like -8... no more error and its start back.

I got some picture that are in french but anyone can help me out with the problem.... I live in Quebec Canada so the minus 30 is coming and i need my SUV this winter.

View attachment 75834 View attachment 75835 View attachment 75836 View attachment 75837
Here are my best translation for the picture :
1- Assisted directeion failure, service required
2- Motor failure, Immediate service
3- Paking aid failure, service required
4- Parking break failure, Immediate service

Its like the 3rd time its happen to me so i'm 100% sure its all about the temperature outside... when i go to dealer its not cold enough to get the error back.
I've got a appointement on december 10 i hope they gonna know how to fix it.

Thanks
First, consider adding vehicle, model and engine to signature line. Second, for me, cold weather start problems always mean look at battery first. How old is the battery? Is there corrosion on the terminals and leads? Howmany miles on vehicle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the advice! Ill add my vehicule to my signature in the next couples of days! I check the batterie and no corrosion. But i dont know how okd is mu batterie and i dont have a testor to check the volt! Ill try to get one tomorrow. If any of you have other clue of what it can be i’m open to ear you out!

ford escape 2014 se AWD 1.5 eco boost

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Given the temperature effect and unknown history I'd bet that the battery is near end of life. All of the symptoms you describe can occur when the battery is near dead.

My suggestion would be to jump-start the car and go directly to an auto parts or battery store where they can do a proper battery load test (more than you can do with an inexpensive tester) and replace if needed.

There is no benefit in speculating about other issues until you know that the battery is not the problem.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Date of manufacture of the battery should be labeled on the top side of the battery. Unfortunately it’s not easy to visually inspect.

·
Registered
168 Posts
@Jtx3,
All of those unrelated things going wrong at the same time funnel down to one cause: they are not getting enough power to function properly, and the one thing they have in common is battery power. If the car has the original battery, It could be up to six years old, depending on when the car was built. @centex recommended getting the battery load tested, a procedure most independent auto parts stores can do usually for free, even if you don't buy a new battery.
If the battery should load test fine, then there are problems a dealer should look into.

·
Super Moderator
1,718 Posts
Check for corrosion on the negative battery terminal clamp and cable too. It the one that is hidden from view right back near the firewall. People have had similar bizarre issues when that has corroded over time.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Battery failure causes all the actors to become drama queens. If all those warnings were real, likely your car is shot. Before replacing the whole car, replace the battery and check the terminals.

Just an fyi- it may not be that much more to have someone replace the battery. Even the dealer. Sometimes it's only like $20 more than the batt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my batterie tested today in a betterie store and it’s completely fine!
Any other advice or thing to check out tu help me out find the problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks
You really should buy a volt meter so you can see what's going on. My son was having trouble for a month with his car not starting sometimes, or cranking slow but eventually starting. Then it was back to starting normal for a few weeks. Yesterday while he was downtown it wouldn't crank at all - nothing. I drove to the city and put a meter on his battery ... 12v. I told him to jump in and try starting it. Voltage dropped to 0v and no cranking. The battery is 5 years old - time to replace. Drove 2 blocks to Canadian Tire and bought a new battery. Installed it - son jumps in and tries starting it .... vroom, vroom!! Without a volt meter, you just don't know what's going on.

Bon Chance!

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
You really should buy a volt meter so you can see what's going on. My son was having trouble for a month with his car not starting sometimes, or cranking slow but eventually starting. Then it was back to starting normal for a few weeks. Yesterday while he was downtown it wouldn't crank at all - nothing. I drove to the city and put a meter on his battery ... 12v. I told him to jump in and try starting it. Voltage dropped to 0v and no cranking. The battery is 5 years old - time to replace. Drove 2 blocks to Canadian Tire and bought a new battery. Installed it - son jumps in and tries starting it .... vroom, vroom!! Without a volt meter, you just don't know what's going on.

Bon Chance!
still want to know age of battery. Is battery original to car? If replaced when?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My batterie doing a constant 15.0 volt! I tried to check ou the date on the batterie tonight but she is kind of hard to check! I need to pull out 1-2 other pieces to see the whole batterie! But im pretty sure for a 2017 that is the original batterie im still running on

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
My batterie doing a constant 15.0 volt! I tried to check ou the date on the batterie tonight but she is kind of hard to check! I need to pull out 1-2 other pieces to see the whole batterie! But im pretty sure for a 2017 that is the original batterie im still running on
Your original post said vehicle was 2014? Which is correct?

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Sorry guys! It’s a 2017
Ok. so at this point your have confirmed it is a 2017, Not unheard of to have battery go bad even this early IF this is in fact original. If this was used, you have no idea how the car was treated. You also said the battery was tested and tested ---good. However, you have not reported who did the testing and what method they used. You also have not reported on the testing of the charging system. The alternator needs to be confirmed as good or bad. FWIW, at this point my money is still on the battery. Have you taken car to Ford dealer for testing?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Your original post said vehicle was 2014? Which is correct?
OK so now it's a 2017. To me that brings in another question. Could all the simultaneous faults be the result of a defective BCM or BCM harness? 15v, even with the engine running sounds a tad high could that affect how various controls and sensors operate? I don't know my way around these digital controls- I still have a 3/32-inch wrench for setting points.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
OK so now it's a 2017. To me that brings in another question. Could all the simultaneous faults be the result of a defective BCM or BCM harness? 15v, even with the engine running sounds a tad high could that affect how various controls and sensors operate? I don't know my way around these digital controls- I still have a 3/32-inch wrench for setting points.
Short answer is yes. But I try to chase down the easy problems first. Why worry about a harness when we do not have conclusive idea on either battery or alternator?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My appointements with ford dealer to test is out is on december 10. Between now and the appointment what should i check out myself?
Ford will be able to tell me if its a BCM problem? And if yes how much does is cost to change it? A 2017 with broken BCM os weird no?

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
My appointements with ford dealer to test is out is on december 10. Between now and the appointment what should i check out myself?
Ford will be able to tell me if its a BCM problem? And if yes how much does is cost to change it? A 2017 with broken BCM os weird no?
Load test battery. Also, run alternator tests to see if alternator performing as intended. You can get local auto parts to do but I would have Ford dealer do. When dealer tests, ask him to give you “days in service” parameter for the battery.

·
Super Moderator
1,718 Posts
15v, even with the engine running sounds a tad high could that affect how various controls and sensors operate?
Up to 14.9V is normal (going by the workshop manual.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts