2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

261 - 280 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I took my Escape in to have the reprogramming done this afternoon. It took about 30 minutes. I asked what this would do and was told that it would make cooling fan come on at a lower temperature and run longer. During the 15-mile drive home the only difference I noticed was that I'm going to have to reset the clock.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
I took my Escape in to have the reprogramming done this afternoon. It took about 30 minutes. I asked what this would do and was told that it would make cooling fan come on at a lower temperature and run longer. During the 15-mile drive home the only difference I noticed was that I'm going to have to reset the clock.
Good to know. That was my guess based on my old 2013 1.6 EB.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This thread has got me worried now. I just purchased a 2019 Escape SEL for my wife in December and Saturday we took it in to the dealer for this service recall 19B37 with only 1100 miles on the odometer everything seems fine. The Escape actually drives nice but this thread is telling me that at some point I will be a victim of the same issue? Great.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
This thread has got me worried now. I just purchased a 2019 Escape SEL for my wife in December and Saturday we took it in to the dealer for this service recall 19B37 with only 1100 miles on the odometer everything seems fine. The Escape actually drives nice but this thread is telling me that at some point I will be a victim of the same issue? Great.
The only guarantees in life are death and taxes. As with any FSA, recall, or other work, there will people who do and don't experience any issues. My old Fusion had a high probability for valve body/transmission and electric power steering issues, yet I never encountered either in the 8+ years and 100K+ miles I had the car. Further clouding things, I had a slow coolant loss with that car as well, and the replacement engine* never gave me any issues.

*I'm still skeptical of why it was replaced in the first place, but that was Ford's call and on their dime. Can't complain about the Mustang convertible they gave me while my car was in for the work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ford's idea of fixing a coolant leak is not setting well with most folks who believe a software patch is not a fix for a bad gasket!! My friend has a new F150 that is using oil. It has the 5.0 engine and this problem is well documented. He's wondering if Ford will fix the problem by just giving you a longer dip stick??

·
Registered
8 Posts
I worry if this is going to creep along until it is just out of the initial warranty and will my extended warranty cover it. What damage will it do elsewhere until this "code" appears?

If Ford has a fix by replacing the short block, then why didn't they initiate this fix on all the 2019s since this apparently has been going on for years? Oh yeah...money.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
If Ford has a fix by replacing the short block, then why didn't they initiate this fix on all the 2019s since this apparently has been going on for years? Oh yeah...money.
For whatever reason, this issue has seemed to manifest itself on 2017 and newer versions of the engine. This FSA is the first publicly announced attempt Ford has made; however, we don't know how long this has been investigated internally. There is a lot of data we don't know. Despite what some may think, design and manufacturing changes don't happen overnight. You can bet changes to a critical and expensive component like an engine will receive extra scrutiny (both from a cost and liability standpoint). Be happy it didn't take as long as it did Ford to do something about the PowerShift transmission.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Apparently it has been going on for SEVERAL years on different models and engine sizes (1.6, 2.0) so this is not an "overnight" thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you I thought I did go back and include year and engine size, I'll go back and edit them. 2017 1.5 escape 45486 miles. Literally just had oil change Wednesday and they added a quart of coolant. Also noticed within that last month since my layoff how much white smoke has been coming out of exhaust, figured may be tempature related, but its excessive! Just worried have apt set up now, just worried if there is any damage done already they just reprogram drivetrain system and then I get the shaft in 14000 miles. Also thank you kindly for helping out and addressing my faults.
I had the same problem. (2017 SE with 2.0). It started at 29,000 mi. Initial service seemed to work. It re-occurred at 37,000 mi. The second time resulted in a full engine replacement under the 60,000 mi. warranty. The dealer explained that coolant was leaking into the cylinders resulting in scoring. It was also explained that there are no head gaskets in these engines; instead relying on a metal to metal seal.
The white exhaust smoke results when coolant burns off inside the cylinder.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
I had the same problem. (2017 SE with 2.0). It started at 29,000 mi. Initial service seemed to work. It re-occurred at 37,000 mi. The second time resulted in a full engine replacement under the 60,000 mi. warranty. The dealer explained that coolant was leaking into the cylinders resulting in scoring. It was also explained that there are no head gaskets in these engines; instead relying on a metal to metal seal.
The white exhaust smoke results when coolant burns off inside the cylinder.
Not sure I believe his story of no head gasket, at least by design.

Add on: I just checked my WSM for my 2018 2.0. Manual CLEARLY shows head gasket is supposed to be there. It is #20 in the engine exploded diagram.

·
Registered
14 Posts
UPDATE!
Ok everyone, I have a pretty good update regarding my 2017 Ford Escape 1.5 AWD
After talking to Ford customer service twice (complete waste of time) I took it to the closest Ford dealership. They confirmed that the coolant leak did in fact get into the engine and ruin it. The recalibration couldn't be done, it was too late. I already knew that..thanks.
These guys really went to bat for me, I got a loaner car while they wrangled with Ford to get my repairs covered. I'm over the warranty period (70,000 miles) They sent them all of the misfire codes and proved that the damage was due to the coolant leak, and also confirmed that I was not to blame. After a week of going back and forth with Ford Motors, this dealership is getting my repairs covered!!!
ADVICE
Don't wait until you're having problems to get it in. DO IT NOW! If you are over the warranty date or mileage, fight for the repairs to be covered, do this with a Ford dealership, not an independent mechanic. If you are thinking about purchasing a Ford Escape, keep shopping!!

I'll report back when the repairs are done!

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
UPDATE!
Ok everyone, I have a pretty good update regarding my 2017 Ford Escape 1.5 AWD
After talking to Ford customer service twice (complete waste of time) I took it to the closest Ford dealership. They confirmed that the coolant leak did in fact get into the engine and ruin it. The recalibration couldn't be done, it was too late. I already knew that..thanks.
These guys really went to bat for me, I got a loaner car while they wrangled with Ford to get my repairs covered. I'm over the warranty period (70,000 miles) They sent them all of the misfire codes and proved that the damage was due to the coolant leak, and also confirmed that I was not to blame. After a week of going back and forth with Ford Motors, this dealership is getting my repairs covered!!!
ADVICE
Don't wait until you're having problems to get it in. DO IT NOW! If you are over the warranty date or mileage, fight for the repairs to be covered, do this with a Ford dealership, not an independent mechanic. If you are thinking about purchasing a Ford Escape, keep shopping!!

I'll report back when the repairs are done!
Glad it seems to be working out for you. Are they doing the long block or short block?

·
Registered
8 Posts
[QUOTE=" It is #20 in the engine exploded diagram.
[/QUOTE]
You mean they had so many explode they had to put out diagram? 😆

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad it seems to be working out for you. Are they doing the long block or short block?
They had first recommended a long block, but now a short block was mentioned for the replacement. What is the difference? Should I be requesting one or the other? Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
They had first recommended a long block, but now a short block was mentioned for the replacement. What is the difference? Should I be requesting one or the other? Thanks :)
Short is the lower part with the pistons. Long is that plus the head which has valves and twin cams. I would at least make them tell you why only short block is sufficient.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I was at work when I received the call, so I don't have all the details. I am not confident that it won't happen again anyway. I sort of feel like I simply bought some time to go trade in for a different vehicle. I think these Escapes are gonna be nothing but problems. It's not good when any engine needs to be replaced, at 25-75k miles. IMO

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Well, I was at work when I received the call, so I don't have all the details. I am not confident that it won't happen again anyway. I sort of feel like I simply bought some time to go trade in for a different vehicle. I think these Escapes are gonna be nothing but problems. It's not good when any engine needs to be replaced, at 25-75k miles. IMO
Do not think you will get any arguments from anyone on that. The other side is that you got Ford to step up on an out of warranty item and you will have a warranty on the replacement. Be sure to understand the details of the new warranty. Also, Ford is not the only manufacturer with engine issues. My lesson learned is to inquire about the engine design going forward.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Am in the same boat. Have a 17 with 39185 miles. Took in today for oil change and the reprogram. The scan showed misfires. They are pulling the plugs and doing their testing. Should hopefully know the results later today.

Should of kept my 15 Jetta TDI and gone with the software fix as the car would of been paid off already. Looking into Hyundai's in the future. Wife is happy with her 18 Santa Fe.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
Am in the same boat. Have a 17 with 39185 miles. Took in today for oil change and the reprogram. The scan showed misfires. They are pulling the plugs and doing their testing. Should hopefully know the results later today.
Did you ever see a check engine light or other warning message in the time you've owned it?

261 - 280 of 314 Posts