2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

281 - 300 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Also, Ford is not the only manufacturer with engine issues. My lesson learned is to inquire about the engine design going forward.
Yep. I am planning to stay with Ford, at least for now. I had the 19B37 done and I've had no coolant loss on mine in 18,000mi/29,000km. It is the original Chinese (Changan) 1.5, but I don't know if it is the "slot" or "angled port" design (see post #257). This was going to be a long term ownership car, but no more. I will take a pass on the '20 Escape. I'm not a fan of the 3cyl 1.5 nor the 2.0 EcoBoost for that matter, after reading the threads on that engine as well. I'm on the Ranger 5G forum learning about how the ownership experience is with those. The 2.3L EcoBoost seems to be OK, accepts modification well and there is a huge aftermarket industry for them. Nobody over there leaves them stock. The biggest gripes seem to be frozen door latches and the taillight recall. Kinda want to see the Bronco also; yes I'm on Bronco 6G, too.
I have an extended warranty on my FE, so that will buy me some time if it hatches. I hope that doesn't happen, but she's going down the road in 2021 regardless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anybody had a full engine replacement, without prior/active check engine light due to this issue???
I had no warning at all. No check engine light, no smoke from the tailpipe other than what I would consider normal, no misfiring, etc. It never missed a beat until an alarm sounded (I think it was a single "ding") and a message popped up that read something to the effect that "High engine temperature, stop safely." I glanced down at the temperature gauge and it was high. It happened on a two-lane road with no shoulder. I was able to get off of the pavement immediately and shut the engine off. When I raised the hood there was no steam or smoke. The engine did not "smell" hot to me and the places where I could put my hand it felt nothing more than "warm." There was coolant visible in the reservoir but because the ground wasn't level (passenger side was low) I really couldn't say if it was high or low. When I pulled the dipstick there was oil on it but because of the uneven ground I couldn't trust how high or low it was. There was no evidence of coolant in the oil (I know what that looks like). After sitting on the side of the road for a while I decided to restart the engine. The temperature gauge had returned to normal. I got out and looked at the engine again...everything looked normal so I closed the hood and took off while keeping a close eye on the gauge and being extra alert for any signs that something might be wrong. Everything seemed normal as I drove the last few miles home. Once I was parked on level ground I checked the coolant level and there was none visible in the reservoir. After waiting until it was completely cool I added coolant to the max line and started the engine. There were air bubbles in the reservoir they but stopped after a few seconds so I assumed that there had been air in the system. I shut it off and refilled with coolant to the max line. All this time I kept looking for leaks since coolant doesn't just disappear. This happened two days before Thanksgiving and when I called the dealership they said they couldn't get to it until Monday, which meant no family Thanksgiving. So on Monday I dropped it off and a couple of days later they told me that it failed the pressure test, using a borescope it was determined that there was coolant in the cylinders and that I needed a new engine (short block). They gave me a 2019 EcoSport to drive while the work was being done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 2017 Ford Escape with a 1.5 litre. Early December I get a transmission fault, no acceleration and have to get it towed to a Ford dealer. There were 140,000 kms on it, so outside of warranty. Service confirms that it is the transmission pump and it needs a new transmission, says $4,000 to replace. Then he tells me the headgasket in the 1.5 litre engine is leaking causing antifreeze to leak into the cylinders, damaging pistons, valves, rings etc. He then goes on to tell me that I require a new engine and the total cost to do all of the work (transmission and engine) will be in the range of $13,000.

Dealer escalated the claim to the after warranty department to see if there was anything Ford corporate could do and they offered nothing. I ended up buying another Ford Escape from the dealer as I needed a car right away.

Now fast forward to this week and I get a Customer Satisfaction Program (FSA in the US) letter in the mail for my previous Escape. Apparently this is a known issue at Ford where coolant is leaking into cylinder bores damaging engines. The exact issue that caused me to write my car off. I called Ford Canada customer service and they were less than helpful in resolving my concerns or answering any of my questions. Nor was I able to be provided with any other contact to escalate the issue.

I am looking for someone to do something, anything for me or give me some answers. I essentially lost $13,000 for an issue Ford knew about and could have prevented. This 19B37 program was released about 1 week after my car was brought in. It seems my car was maybe the straw that broke the camels back and I am the one left holding the bag, out $13,000. How long did Ford know about this issue? Why was nothing done?

Anyone here have any strategies for me to get any type of compensation from Ford?

·
Registered
9 Posts
You aren't even close to the only one. I, luckily as of now, have not had the issue. I got the 19b37 service done. I can see this potentially going as badly for Ford as the dual clutch transmission in the Focus.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I had a 2017 Ford Escape with a 1.5 litre. Early December I get a transmission fault, no acceleration and have to get it towed to a Ford dealer. There were 140,000 kms on it, so outside of warranty. Service confirms that it is the transmission pump and it needs a new transmission, says $4,000 to replace. Then he tells me the headgasket in the 1.5 litre engine is leaking causing antifreeze to leak into the cylinders, damaging pistons, valves, rings etc. He then goes on to tell me that I require a new engine and the total cost to do all of the work (transmission and engine) will be in the range of $13,000.

Dealer escalated the claim to the after warranty department to see if there was anything Ford corporate could do and they offered nothing. I ended up buying another Ford Escape from the dealer as I needed a car right away.

Now fast forward to this week and I get a Customer Satisfaction Program (FSA in the US) letter in the mail for my previous Escape. Apparently this is a known issue at Ford where coolant is leaking into cylinder bores damaging engines. The exact issue that caused me to write my car off. I called Ford Canada customer service and they were less than helpful in resolving my concerns or answering any of my questions. Nor was I able to be provided with any other contact to escalate the issue.

I am looking for someone to do something, anything for me or give me some answers. I essentially lost $13,000 for an issue Ford knew about and could have prevented. This 19B37 program was released about 1 week after my car was brought in. It seems my car was maybe the straw that broke the camels back and I am the one left holding the bag, out $13,000. How long did Ford know about this issue? Why was nothing done?

Anyone here have any strategies for me to get any type of compensation from Ford?
It it were me, I'd be looking for a good lawyer and getting all of your documentation ready. It's totally amazing to me why there hasn't been a class action brought against Ford. Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anybody had a full engine replacement, without prior/active check engine light due to this issue???
I just brought my 2018 Escape in to local dealer as a result of the recall and they have advised that I need a new engine. They are ordering all the parts etc now and will notify me when they are ready to replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also do not know what to think about all of this. I only have 30KM on my 2018 Escape and I need a new engine!! What will that do for a potential resale down the road? Do I have to legally disclose that the vehicle required a new engine? Can I assume that with a brand new engine that I will not have any other issues? What does this do to my extended warranty etc?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
I also do not know what to think about all of this. I only have 30KM on my 2018 Escape and I need a new engine!! What will that do for a potential resale down the road? Do I have to legally disclose that the vehicle required a new engine? Can I assume that with a brand new engine that I will not have any other issues? What does this do to my extended warranty etc?
How much is on the odometer? 30 km or 30,000 miles?
As I've said elsewhere, my old Fusion needed a new engine within 3 months of purchase. I had no issues reselling it 8 years later. I can't speak for Canadian laws, but I did include full maintenance records, which included the replacement engine. Unfortunately, a new human-made anything comes with zero perfection guarantees. Even with the most perfect design, all it takes is one bad bolt to ruin everything.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
I had a 2017 Ford Escape with a 1.5 litre. Early December I get a transmission fault, no acceleration and have to get it towed to a Ford dealer. There were 140,000 kms on it, so outside of warranty. Service confirms that it is the transmission pump and it needs a new transmission, says $4,000 to replace. Then he tells me the headgasket in the 1.5 litre engine is leaking causing antifreeze to leak into the cylinders, damaging pistons, valves, rings etc.
Almost 87K miles...did you own the Escape since new? Still the original engine?

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Escape SE, 1.5L, FWD
9 Posts
Took mine in today for the FSA19B37 update. No issues, so i figured i they would do the update and be done.
Got a call a few hours later telling me i needed a new engine block and they placed one on order.
Had me call a national Ford customer service number to explain the issue and beg for a loaner car.
They gave me a case number and sent me back to the dealership. Waiting for a call back from the dealer,
2 weeks for the bock to come in plus repair time. Hoping they come through with a loaner in the meantime,

2019 Ford Escape SE
~19,000 mi.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Took mine in today for the FSA19B37 update. No issues, so i figured i they would do the update and be done.
Got a call a few hours later telling me i needed a new engine block and they placed one on order.
Had me call a national Ford customer service number to explain the issue and beg for a loaner car.
They gave me a case number and sent me back to the dealership. Waiting for a call back from the dealer,
2 weeks for the bock to come in plus repair time. Hoping they come through with a loaner in the meantime,

2019 Ford Escape SE
~19,000 mi.
I guess it is good that they are proactively looking for water intrusion, not just flashing the ECU and moving on if there was no CEL.

·
Registered
2019 Escape SE, 1.5L, FWD
9 Posts
I guess it is good that they are proactively looking for water intrusion, not just flashing the ECU and moving on if there was no CEL.
Definitely agree. I complemented them on pointing this out. It would be very easy for them to just do the update and give the car back without doing anything else.
Haven't been able to get in touch with service manager yet. Was told to wait until Monday.

·
Registered
27 Posts

2019 Ford Escape SE
~19,000 mi.
I just went in today, was early for appointment, two and a half hours later my service guy says I need a new engine! Gave me a comp car and drove 200 miles home that was @ 9:30 this morning. Get a call at 3:43 this afternoon saying I don't need a new block and did the bandaid fix....idk what to think speechless just messed up I'm not happy! What do I do?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just went in today, was early for appointment, two and a half hours later my service guy says I need a new engine! Gave me a comp car and drove 200 miles home that was @ 9:30 this morning. Get a call at 3:43 this afternoon saying I don't need a new block and did the bandaid fix....idk what to think speechless just messed up I'm not happy! What do I do?
I would have a discussion with the service manager as to what made them first think it needed a new engine, and then what made them change their minds.
Could have been an honest mistake; two cars in, and they though yours was the other, or could have been a marginal call, and on second look it did not meet the requirements.
If it is a marginal call, you should ask them to note that on your receipt so if you have trouble later there is a document trail.

Be nice and be firm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would have a discussion with the service manager as to what made them first think it needed a new engine, and then what made them change their minds.
Could have been an honest mistake; two cars in, and they though yours was the other, or could have been a marginal call, and on second look it did not meet the requirements.
If it is a marginal call, you should ask them to note that on your receipt so if you have trouble later there is a document trail.

Be nice and be firm.
  1. Net question is should It and wait for something other than 19B37 like a. Actual recall?? Or sell it to avoid unavoidable failer?

281 - 300 of 343 Posts