2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

321 - 340 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2017 Escape, I received a letter late January 2020

I received a letter regarding a 'customer satisfaction program 19B37' I took it to Ford and it was too late to fix this issue. Coolant leaked into the cylinders and the engine is damaged. Unfortunately my warranty expired. I missed it by 3,700 miles! Now I need to pay out of pocket for a brand new engine. I do not have $7,000 for a new engine, I'm still paying for the car, I have 2 jobs and I can't drive my car.
I suggest you go get that taken care of as soon as possible before it's too late.
I would go to the dealer and ask for a meeting with their Ford Company representative.
The fact that that you are only 3700 miles past the warranty and the issue has been going on for a while to cause the engine damage is essentially proof that the problem started during the warranty period.
Be firm and be nice, but don't be afraid to stand up to them.
Given your situation, I would consider contacting one of the local news outlets "consumer support" reporters.
Show them this thread and how far back the issue goes.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would go to the dealer and ask for a meeting with their Ford Company representative.
The fact that that you are only 3700 miles past the warranty and the issue has been going on for a while to cause the engine damage is essentially proof that the problem started during the warranty period.
Be firm and be nice, but don't be afraid to stand up to them.
Given your situation, I would consider contacting one of the local news outlets "consumer support" reporters.
Show them this thread and how far back the issue goes.

Best of luck!
Thank you! This helps.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well took my 2018 Escape SE to my dealer for the service bulletin...After topping off my coolant again and reprogramming the PCM I found the benefit of it...The transmission shifts are "snappy"...I use Sport mode and when I change gears it is in the gear NOW...Upshifts and downshifts...Like the tranny now as long as it doesn't blow up again before I can get rid of this one...Didn't notice the cooling fans running any sooner or longer but that is what they supposedly do...We will see...Oh and I am real close to 50 k miles...

·
Registered
2019 Escape SE, 1.5L, FWD
9 Posts
Took mine in today for the FSA19B37 update. No issues, so i figured i they would do the update and be done.
Got a call a few hours later telling me i needed a new engine block and they placed one on order.
Had me call a national Ford customer service number to explain the issue and beg for a loaner car.
They gave me a case number and sent me back to the dealership. Waiting for a call back from the dealer,
2 weeks for the bock to come in plus repair time. Hoping they come through with a loaner in the meantime,

2019 Ford Escape SE
~19,000 mi.
update
Dealer ended up providing a loaner. Picked up my car on Tuesday, the 25th. Before i left, checked under the hood, under the car, coolant and oil levels. Everything looked new under the hood. Everything i could see and check looked good. Car runs great after two days and no problems so far. Assuming no future issues, i'm happy with the way things ultimately worked out. The dealership did a great job!

·
Registered
18 Posts

Think you will get a laugh on this one.
Received this in the mail today.
Ford just wants to be so nice and and do this simple fix for me for free.
This update is available for a LIMITED time.
Called my local dealer today to set an appointment, told call back in a few days.
There tool to do the upgrade is broken, not sure when it will be fixed.
Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my new-to-me @ 36k miles 2018 Ford Escape SE 1.5L in to the dealership for the FSA on 1/10/20 after 2 weeks of owning it.

They held onto it for a week before telling me there was a problem with the engine, coolant leaking into it. My dealer assured me several times throughout the two months they had my vehicle that everything under the hood was going to be brand new & that there would be absolutely no issues whatsoever.

They called me today, 3/4/20, to trade the rental back in for my vehicle. They gave me the paperwork & excitedly rush me out of the dealership. I look under the hood before I take off & notice there are several things that don't look "new." I took a picture of the coolant level to be safe & try to keep an eye out for any changes in level.

My house is about 10 miles away from the dealership. I made it home, left the car running & popped the hood. Noticed a slight "ticking" sound near the belt area.. & on the opposite side of the engine, a second ticking sound in sync with the motor vibrating. As I sat there watching, smoking a cigarette with paranoia, the sound actually grew louder.

Went inside to take a leak, came back out, and noticed the coolant level in the tank rose. Engine sounded slightly quieter & the ticking on both the belt area & opposite side of the motor were louder. I quickly shut the vehicle off & reread the paperwork they handed me of all the work done. They only changed the short block. Didn't even bother doing the actual reprogramming that I went in for. Then I noticed at the top where it shows mileage in & out..

Mileage in: 36,681. Mileage out: 36,682.

What? Did the mechanic lie to my dealer, do all of this supposed work, take the car to the nearest gas station to pick up a pack of cigarettes & beer, go back to the dealership & call me in?

I'm absolutely confused on what to even do here guys. I love my Escape. This is my first vehicle purchase, and I'm so frustrated I really don't know what to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Someone I work with took her escape in for an oil change a few weeks ago and found out she needed a new short-block. Decided to check my 1.5L fusion and saw misfires on 1 & 3 with no codes and found out today I'm getting a new short-block as well. Six other vehicles ahead of me in line at my dealer waiting for new blocks. This is going to get exponentially worse for Ford I think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my new-to-me @ 36k miles 2018 Ford Escape SE 1.5L in to the dealership for the FSA on 1/10/20 after 2 weeks of owning it.

They held onto it for a week before telling me there was a problem with the engine, coolant leaking into it. My dealer assured me several times throughout the two months they had my vehicle that everything under the hood was going to be brand new & that there would be absolutely no issues whatsoever.

They called me today, 3/4/20, to trade the rental back in for my vehicle. They gave me the paperwork & excitedly rush me out of the dealership. I look under the hood before I take off & notice there are several things that don't look "new." I took a picture of the coolant level to be safe & try to keep an eye out for any changes in level.

My house is about 10 miles away from the dealership. I made it home, left the car running & popped the hood. Noticed a slight "ticking" sound near the belt area.. & on the opposite side of the engine, a second ticking sound in sync with the motor vibrating. As I sat there watching, smoking a cigarette with paranoia, the sound actually grew louder.

Went inside to take a leak, came back out, and noticed the coolant level in the tank rose. Engine sounded slightly quieter & the ticking on both the belt area & opposite side of the motor were louder. I quickly shut the vehicle off & reread the paperwork they handed me of all the work done. They only changed the short block. Didn't even bother doing the actual reprogramming that I went in for. Then I noticed at the top where it shows mileage in & out..

What? Did the mechanic lie to my dealer, do all of this supposed work, take the car to the nearest gas station to pick up a pack of cigarettes & beer, go back to the dealership & call me in?

I'm absolutely confused on what to even do here guys. I love my Escape. This is my first vehicle purchase, and I'm so frustrated I really don't know what to do.

I'm absolutely confused on what to even do her
Someone I work with took her escape in for an oil change a few weeks ago and found out she needed a new short-block. Decided to check my 1.5L fusion and saw misfires on 1 & 3 with no codes and found out today I'm getting a new short-block as well. Six other vehicles ahead of me in line at my dealer waiting for new blocks. This is going to get exponentially worse for Ford I think.
My advice? Contact a Lemon Law Atty in your area, or a firm who works with a larger Lemon Law firm. Pronto. You've got a DAMN GOOD case for getting a full refund, since your Lemon has been in for over 2 months, (over ONE month qualifies you for a Lemon Law case). I took my "Romanian Rocket" in for the FSA today, got it done, and kept the receipt. No issues yet, but I've only got 7K miles on it since new, in January 2019. You're lucky it's doing it, bruh! Some won't be in warranty, or will be SOL without class action comin', imho. Sure the care may be ok, (WHEN IT's NOT IN THE SHOP), but Ford screwed the pooch on this one with me, as I thought I'd never have to buy another vehicle in my lifetime, as little as I drive them. They sold us these Escapes, knowing the design was defective, and gambling that not enough of them would break to justify actually fixing the problem, vs making a ton of money on an engine outsourced to Romania.

Edited by Moderator- fixed quotation issues.

·
Super Moderator
2,058 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium
7 Posts
Took my wifes 2017 1.5 escape titanium in a month ago for the same service bulletin about the coolant and regular oil change service. The car also has the acceleration issue where the check engine light flashes and feels like 2 cylinders are gone when you put your foot down (very dangerous). Thought the reprogramming would fix it, it didn't. Going to take it back this Friday and have a conversation. Going to keep an eye on coolant level as well. The coolant problem is from a poor design not faulty programming. Bought this car brand new with 1-2 miles on it and my wife loves it. Going to research this problem much more. I hope to find a way to keep the car because I won't accept a short block. Either entire engine or I go legal.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Took my wifes 2017 1.5 escape titanium in a month ago for the same service bulletin about the coolant and regular oil change service. The car also has the acceleration issue where the check engine light flashes and feels like 2 cylinders are gone when you put your foot down (very dangerous). Thought the reprogramming would fix it, it didn't. Going to take it back this Friday and have a conversation. Going to keep an eye on coolant level as well. The coolant problem is from a poor design not faulty programming. Bought this car brand new with 1-2 miles on it and my wife loves it. Going to research this problem much more. I hope to find a way to keep the car because I won't accept a short block. Either entire engine or I go legal.
Curious. Did you tell dealer at time you took it in that car had poor acceleration and the check engine light came on? Did they check for that condition at all? If not, why not?

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium
7 Posts
ralph7up. Yes I did ask them. I ask if it also addresses the acceleration issue. Didn't really get a solid answer of yes or no. I did notice there seem to be less power after update. I don't drive the car much (it's wifes car) but it didn't happen to her. I was driving the car last Saturday when it happened again. Only difference was the engine light never even came on but there was a fault recorded. I will be much more assertive and specific when I take it in Friday. I don't have much faith in mechanics these days. We'll see what happens. I'll post update when I have more info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my 2019 done yesterday with 10000 miles since new. I found a copy of the dealer instructions today, and it clears up some of the questions people are asking here as to what exactly the re-programming does.

"SERVICE ACTION
Dealers are to reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) using Integrated Diagnostic Software
(IDS) release 116.02 or higher. The new PCM calibration will improve cooling and reduce the potential
for coolant intrusion into the cylinders by operating the external coolant pump for a period of time
following engine shut down. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to
the vehicle owner."
It also says:
"NOTE: Advise the customer that this vehicle is equipped with an adaptive transmission shift strategy
which allows the vehicle's computer to learn the transmission's unique parameters and improve
shift quality. When the adaptive strategy is reset, the computer will begin a re-learning process.
This re-learning process may result in firmer than normal upshifts and downshifts for several days."
This explains several other comments I've read on this thread. My dealer didn't follow that instruction to tell me this, by the way, but anyway glad no coolant problems or codes were found on mine.

If you want to read the entire bulletin, google search 19B37 and click the link that begins with static dot gov. This forum won't let me post the link.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well took my 2018 Escape SE to my dealer for the service bulletin...After topping off my coolant again and reprogramming the PCM I found the benefit of it...The transmission shifts are "snappy"...I use Sport mode and when I change gears it is in the gear NOW...Upshifts and downshifts...Like the tranny now as long as it doesn't blow up again before I can get rid of this one...Didn't notice the cooling fans running any sooner or longer but that is what they supposedly do...We will see...Oh and I am real close to 50 k miles...
Per dealer instructions of the alert, the service manager is supposed to advise you of this after the service. It says
"Advise the customer that this vehicle is equipped with an adaptive transmission shift strategy
which allows the vehicle's computer to learn the transmission's unique parameters and improve
shift quality. When the adaptive strategy is reset, the computer will begin a re-learning process.
This re-learning process may result in firmer than normal upshifts and downshifts for several days."

As far as re-programming, the bulletin says that primarily what it does is allow the external pump to run for a period of time after shutdown.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
S
Per dealer instructions of the alert, the service manager is supposed to advise you of this after the service. It says
"Advise the customer that this vehicle is equipped with an adaptive transmission shift strategy

As far as re-programming, the bulletin says that primarily what it does is allow the external pump to run for a period of time after shutdown.
So the coolant pump is NOT belt driven?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
The last 3 posts are all old news and have been posted already.

The coolant pump is not belt driven.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
The last 3 posts are all old news and have been posted already.

The coolant pump is not belt driven.
Thanks. I did not fully realize that. That would go further to mitigate issues than my previous concept. I had checked the portions of the WSM on the cooling system but apparently failed in downloading that section.

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium
7 Posts
Update. Took the car in this morning and they called around 12:30PM. They're going to have the car for a week. Another issue I had them look at was a high pitch whistle if the brake is applied to quickly when engine is cold. They said there's a broken boot on the vaccum line (I thought it was vaccum). Car not safe to drive that way so it will take 4 days for part to arrive. This could be related to the shifting problem I originally took it in for, we'll see. Will update when more info available. A raptor would be nice for a loaner car.

321 - 340 of 343 Posts