2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

341 - 360 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium
7 Posts
I did forget to mention that not only was acceleration poor but when I let off the gas and then back on the gas it felt like it was running on 2 cylinders. Only when on the gas though which is why I'm leaning towards transmission trouble.

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium
7 Posts
Update. Got car back Thursday. They replaced the entire brake booster. They said they couldn't reproduce the shifting problem so maybe the faulty booster was the problem. Wife said brakes felt spongy. I drove the car today and engjne felt better, ran and shifted smoother. Brakes did feel spongy to me so when I got home I checked the brake reservoir, it was empty (WTH). So I took it to dealer and they topped it off. Brakes weren't much better but they were better. Car shifted fine and there was no rough running or downshifting problem, time will tell. I did notice the engine was down on power a bit since the PCM reprogramming. There was also a slight smell of engine coolant. Engine coolant reservoir hadn't gone down since I checked it last week but this time I checked while hot, will check again tomorrow when cold. Quick rant. What's wrong with some of these so called mechanics at the dealers. One dealer destroyed my front rotors on my F150 using a bad machine (and gave it back to me that way) and another dealer under filled my oil after an oil change. Now they don't top off the brake fluid on my wifes car. Back when I was a mechanic (before OBDII) I would've been fired for that. Peoples lives are at stake if the mechanics don't do the job right. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go
Someone I work with took her escape in for an oil change a few weeks ago and found out she needed a new short-block. Decided to check my 1.5L fusion and saw misfires on 1 & 3 with no codes and found out today I'm getting a new short-block as well. Six other vehicles ahead of me in line at my dealer waiting for new blocks. This is going to get exponentially worse for Ford I think.
Got mine back late last week. Drove it quite a bit the first day to seat the rings at normal temp and all was good. Engine felt smooth and no issues at all. Sunday found a huge puddle of oil in the driveway. Dealer just called and said they had a defective head gasket and a new one is on order. I'm guessing there was "operator error" by whoever repaired it so now I'm wondering what else isn't right. Will update as things unfold....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m having mine checked at a shop before the recall. I’m installing an after market boost gauge and we’ll see if they turn down the screw. I still think the head is lifting, pressurizing the coolant jackets, pushing the coolant passages above the spec cap pressure and dumping coolant. That’s why it appears to be consuming it but it’s not showing up in the oil and the system appears sealed with no obvious leaks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Go

Got mine back late last week. Drove it quite a bit the first day to seat the rings at normal temp and all was good. Engine felt smooth and no issues at all. Sunday found a huge puddle of oil in the driveway. Dealer just called and said they had a defective head gasket and a new one is on order. I'm guessing there was "operator error" by whoever repaired it so now I'm wondering what else isn't right. Will update as things unfold....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Logged into the Ford Pass App and noticed a message about a Field Service Action Number 19B37 for a Powertrain Control Module Reprogramming. It wasn't on the app the other day and nothing was mentioned when I had the Escape in for an oil change last week. No additional details were given; nothing more on the Ford Owner website or via an internet search. Anyone know what this is supposed to address/correct?
They will reflash the PCM. It is Ford grasping at straws again. Trying to stop coolant from entering combustion chamber! Yeah that should do it.
Never again will I purchase a Ford. Just retired after 31 years there. Never drove anything but Fords. Never again.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape SE
1 Posts
I've had my 2018 Ford Escape SE in the dealership 3 separate times asking the service guys (along with oil changes and cabin filter replacements, wiper blades, etc.) to look at the issue I've had since nearly the day I purchased my Escape. I will attempt to accelerate, on either a hot or cold engine, from a dead stop, a rolling stop, many options have caused this... and my engine has ZERO power/acceleration. The dealership has charged me over $250-$275+ each time and can never find the issue.
After I received my truck back in the fall time (October '19-ish) I noticed a leak under my vehicle... I thought my exhaust was leaking/dripping and I'm talking a drip every second. I wasn't running the A/C. The fluid was colorless and odorless. This was Oct 12 2019. I also noticed after getting down on my hands and knees, to inspect the fluid, that it wasn't dripping from the exhaust tips, but from my fuel tank (admittedly, I'm not a mechanic, so this might not even be the right part, see attached images). THEN I realized even further, the bigger problem, there were TWO HUGE rusting spots on the tank as well. Now, I live in Minnesota, we use LOTS of salt on the roads to clear ice and snow in the winter, (the dealership at one time told me it was most likely due to snow or ice built up underneath my vehicle. I will reiterate this vehicle is a 2018 and these pictures are from October of 2019. I bought my Escape with 24 miles on it on February 21st, 2018... The pics were taken roughly, one year and eight months after owning the vehicle. I would also like to add, that I own a membership to one of those "all you can wash" types of car washes because the exterior paint is black. I mention this, specifically due to ANY time it snowed, I got my truck washed, and there has never been any ice or snow, packed up underneath my vehicle. I also park inside a garage and have done so nearly every single night since I purchased my vehicle.
Additionally, there were some OBVIOUS "starting-to-rust" spots on the frame of the vehicle also; like if something were leaking somewhere and dripped through the engine to the underside, it'd follow a gravity type trail. This is evident in the images also.
Fast forward to today: I get a call from the dealership where I purchased my Escape from. It's just under 70 miles from my house. (I wanted a VERY specific Escape at the time) A woman called to let me know I have an "open recall" on my truck called the "PowerTrain Control Module reprogramming" recall. She said it's called: "19b37" and "any local to me dealer will know how to fix it, but it would require my truck being in the dealership for at least half a day."
Several comments in this thread mentioned engine/acceleration stuttering or failures, and/or lack of power issues. I've been dealing with this for WELL over a year, and have had my truck looked at no less than 2 times for this specific issue. (Three if it counts that I asked the service tech to look at it, whilst in for just an oil change.)
ALSO! I am one of the suckers that bought the full extended warranty and gap insurance (again I don't want to be bothered with needless costs, I've just wanted it all to work correctly) but because all of these times, the mechanics couldn't find anything specific to cause my problems, we couldn't send the costs off to the warranty company to have it covered and I've been on the hook each time.
The first 3 attached photos are from Oct 2019 and the 4 following are newer photos from today (4/10/2020), which is 2 days shy of 6 months apart. You can see that the issue is getting worse.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
I've had my 2018 Ford Escape SE in the dealership 3 separate times asking the service guys (along with oil changes and cabin filter replacements, wiper blades, etc.) to look at the issue I've had since nearly the day I purchased my Escape. I will attempt to accelerate, on either a hot or cold engine, from a dead stop, a rolling stop, many options have caused this... and my engine has ZERO power/acceleration. The dealership has charged me over $250-$275+ each time and can never find the issue.
After I received my truck back in the fall time (October '19-ish) I noticed a leak under my vehicle... I thought my exhaust was leaking/dripping and I'm talking a drip every second. I wasn't running the A/C. The fluid was colorless and odorless. This was Oct 12 2019. I also noticed after getting down on my hands and knees, to inspect the fluid, that it wasn't dripping from the exhaust tips, but from my fuel tank (admittedly, I'm not a mechanic, so this might not even be the right part, see attached images). THEN I realized even further, the bigger problem, there were TWO HUGE rusting spots on the tank as well. Now, I live in Minnesota, we use LOTS of salt on the roads to clear ice and snow in the winter, (the dealership at one time told me it was most likely due to snow or ice built up underneath my vehicle. I will reiterate this vehicle is a 2018 and these pictures are from October of 2019. I bought my Escape with 24 miles on it on February 21st, 2018... The pics were taken roughly, one year and eight months after owning the vehicle. I would also like to add, that I own a membership to one of those "all you can wash" types of car washes because the exterior paint is black. I mention this, specifically due to ANY time it snowed, I got my truck washed, and there has never been any ice or snow, packed up underneath my vehicle. I also park inside a garage and have done so nearly every single night since I purchased my vehicle.
Additionally, there were some OBVIOUS "starting-to-rust" spots on the frame of the vehicle also; like if something were leaking somewhere and dripped through the engine to the underside, it'd follow a gravity type trail. This is evident in the images also.
Fast forward to today: I get a call from the dealership where I purchased my Escape from. It's just under 70 miles from my house. (I wanted a VERY specific Escape at the time) A woman called to let me know I have an "open recall" on my truck called the "PowerTrain Control Module reprogramming" recall. She said it's called: "19b37" and "any local to me dealer will know how to fix it, but it would require my truck being in the dealership for at least half a day."
Several comments in this thread mentioned engine/acceleration stuttering or failures, and/or lack of power issues. I've been dealing with this for WELL over a year, and have had my truck looked at no less than 2 times for this specific issue. (Three if it counts that I asked the service tech to look at it, whilst in for just an oil change.)
ALSO! I am one of the suckers that bought the full extended warranty and gap insurance (again I don't want to be bothered with needless costs, I've just wanted it all to work correctly) but because all of these times, the mechanics couldn't find anything specific to cause my problems, we couldn't send the costs off to the warranty company to have it covered and I've been on the hook each time.
The first 3 attached photos are from Oct 2019 and the 4 following are newer photos from today (4/10/2020), which is 2 days shy of 6 months apart. You can see that the issue is getting worse.

View attachment 76703 View attachment 76704 View attachment 76705 View attachment 76706 View attachment 76707 View attachment 76708 View attachment 76709
I am struggling with how this relates to 19B37. Can you help me?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thats not your gas tank....its your rear muffler...it has drain holes purposely built in to drain condensation which naturally occurs inside the muffler during early combustion. Surely your dealer would have told you that...

Reactions: chrisgb

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,611 Posts
I also noticed after getting down on my hands and knees, to inspect the fluid, that it wasn't dripping from the exhaust tips, but from my fuel tank (admittedly, I'm not a mechanic, so this might not even be the right part, see attached images). THEN I realized even further, the bigger problem, there were TWO HUGE rusting spots on the tank as well.
As mentioned that's the rear muffler on your exhaust.

Several comments in this thread mentioned engine/acceleration stuttering or failures, and/or lack of power issues. I've been dealing with this for WELL over a year, and have had my truck looked at no less than 2 times for this specific issue.
Get the 19B37 reprogramming done. From what I've read they seem to do a pressure test on the coolant system as well, it sounds like your Escape may fail that (given the symptoms you've listed.) If it does, they'll be rebuilding or replacing your engine. Do you regularly check the engine coolant level?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thats not your gas tank....its your rear muffler...it has drain holes purposely built in to drain condensation which naturally occurs inside the muffler during early combustion. Surely your dealer would have told you that...
But the she might not come back for another $275 visit!

...I have an "open recall" on my truck called the "PowerTrain Control Module reprogramming" recall. She said it's called: "19b37" and "any local to me dealer will know how to fix it, but it would require my truck being in the dealership for at least half a day."
I would take the service writer's advice and make an appointment with "any local to me dealer" rather than the one you've been using, to get the 19B37 done. Which, unless it's been upgraded is not a recall but a field service action which is not so urgent as an actual recall. The fix takes about 20-30 minutes, but there may be a wait for a tech to get to it, so plan accordingly, and schedule an appointment rather than just show up. Have (insist!) the service writer or a tech ride with you to demonstrate the problem with the hesitation/stuttering; I am 99.999% confident that the pcm update will do nothing to help with that.
@hammer52 nailed it: that's the muffler. The black spatter is likely from sooty condensate that dripped out of the muffler. The other rusty bits appear normal. The metal is formulated to deliberately rust to a certain depth to make a protective barrier for the metal underneath; bridges and ships are designed the same way. Bubbly-blistering painted surfaces are the bad kind of rust, and are covered under your warranty, but only if the metal rusts through.
Check your coolant reservoir level when the engine is cold; It's the white bottle on the left side of the engine. It should have pink coolant in it at least up to the add line (just below the seam).
You can do this yourself. In Park with the engine off, pull the hood release lever on the left footwell. Then on the left side of the hood in between the hood and the grille, there is a yellow safety catch. Push it to the right to release the hood, raise it and use the support rod to hold up the hood (it's stored along the same bar that the hood release is mounted to).

Lastly, for future new vehicle purchases, most any dealer can locate one that has the features you want and usually exchange one of their inventory for it at no extra charge.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am struggling with how this relates to 19B37. Can you help me?
It appears to me that the OP may be thinking or hoping that the 19B37 FSB pertains to the drivability problems with the "truck," and if not (likely), what to do next before making another 70 mile drive the dealer.
Looking at the dealer sticker on the truck, they are a 5-rooftop dealer group in the Twin City metro area; two of which are Ford the others, FCA & GM. IMHO, $275 for a diagnostic is about $200 beyond fair and reasonable, if it only involves a scan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is this going to save my engine from a head gasket? Still under powertrain warranty! Have had engine misfire issues with sustained full throttle, before the update to the PCM. Haven't tried since. Coolant level looks good.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,063 Posts
Is this going to save my engine from a head gasket? Still under powertrain warranty! Have had engine misfire issues with sustained full throttle, before the update to the PCM. Haven't tried since. Coolant level looks good.
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same topic. A quick search would have found it easily.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,611 Posts
Is this going to save my engine from a head gasket?
Ford is certainly hoping it will. Given they seem to have revised some internal areas on replacement engines it may not be a long term fix. But I'm no engine expert and am only going on what's been posted already.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got this today. I have a '17 Escape. A '17 Escape with an engine that had to be replaced due to coolant leaking into the cylinders. It does have something to do with the programming. My car was fine, got an oil change and they said the coolant was low. I said that is impossible but it was low. I filled it and took it to Ford. I was the 7th one they had seen. Fortunately I was just under 60,000 and it was covered under warranty but it was a multi thousand dollar fix. Luckily caught in time so if they could only figure out how to put the car back together so it didn't rattle, that would have been great. However, don't ignore this one because the entire front end of the car has to be stripped down and the engine removed. It took over a month to get it fixed due to the number of engine replacements they were doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Logged into the Ford Pass App and noticed a message about a Field Service Action Number 19B37 for a Powertrain Control Module Reprogramming. It wasn't on the app the other day and nothing was mentioned when I had the Escape in for an oil change last week. No additional details were given; nothing more on the Ford Owner website or via an internet search. Anyone know what this is supposed to address/correct?
  1. I have my appt. Set for friday to get this so-called field service action 19B37 fixed. Some powertrain control module reprogramming. Wierd if you ask me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, new to the club. Looking for guidance from the community as it looks like lots of others are trying to navigate the same problem...
I took my my 2017 Ford Escape Titanium into my local dealer at the end of March for service under 19B37. I moved at the end of January into a new home and Ford mailed the CSP to my old address. I guess it was too little too late because on May 28th I took it back in and was told my engine could not be repaired... Engine coolant in the number 3 cylinder.
What's worse is this: my vehicle is currently at 61,530 miles and no longer under powertrain warranty.
My local Ford dealer has tried to help with some compensation, to no avail. My own attempts have been totally ignored as well, my case has now been at the supervisor level since May 29th.
I know there are probably a lot of details Ive left out, but my question is: do I have to just shut up and color? How have others over their warranty been treated/had their issues resolved? Where can I take my story to so its heard? Thanks for the guidance you all, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all, new to the club. Looking for guidance from the community as it looks like lots of others are trying to navigate the same problem...
I took my my 2017 Ford Escape Titanium into my local dealer at the end of March for service under 19B37. I moved at the end of January into a new home and Ford mailed the CSP to my old address. I guess it was too little too late because on May 28th I took it back in and was told my engine could not be repaired... Engine coolant in the number 3 cylinder.
What's worse is this: my vehicle is currently at 61,530 miles and no longer under powertrain warranty.
My local Ford dealer has tried to help with some compensation, to no avail. My own attempts have been totally ignored as well, my case has now been at the supervisor level since May 29th.
I know there are probably a lot of details Ive left out, but my question is: do I have to just shut up and color? How have others over their warranty been treated/had their issues resolved? Where can I take my story to so its heard? Thanks for the guidance you all, I really appreciate it.
Same exact story. I have a 2014 1.6 escape with 79k miles. This can’t possibly be random. Is there a process to qualify this issue under a recall? I just replaced the engine on ford’s recommendation, drove it home, received the same exact ‘engine coolant low’ message from months ago.

341 - 360 of 373 Posts