2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

361 - 374 of 374 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,619 Posts
Same exact story. I have a 2014 1.6 escape with 79k miles. This can’t possibly be random. Is there a process to qualify this issue under a recall? I just replaced the engine on ford’s recommendation, drove it home, received the same exact ‘engine coolant low’ message from months ago.
Welcome to the forum.

Please note the TSB this thread is about relates specifically to the 1.5l EcoBoost in 2017-2019 build Escapes.

The forum search function (or Google) will bring up a lot of hits for recalls and TSB's for the 1.6l EcoBoost engine. Specifically related to coolant system problems and changes to the coolant hose routing/ PCM updates.

Reactions: Vader101

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Please note the TSB this thread is about relates specifically to the 1.5l EcoBoost in 2017-2019 build Escapes.

The forum search function (or Google) will bring up a lot of hits for recalls and TSB's for the 1.6l EcoBoost engine. Specifically related to coolant system problems and changes to the coolant hose routing/ PCM updates.
I got the Powertrain Control Module Reprogram notice in the mail for my 2017 1.5l EcoBoost but the VIN check on the Ford website says "No Recalls or Field Service Actions found." I've had zero issues with 61,000 miles. Is the VIN check reliable? Should I be concerned that the reprogram will cause issues? This is the first new car I've ever purchased. Very frustrated having the same worries I had when driving a clunker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 1.5 with the new shortblock is still running great. Better than ever actually. No coolant loss and lots of power. Just to ease anyone's mind if they need it done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got the Powertrain Control Module Reprogram notice in the mail for my 2017 1.5l EcoBoost but the VIN check on the Ford website says "No Recalls or Field Service Actions found." I've had zero issues with 61,000 miles. Is the VIN check reliable? Should I be concerned that the reprogram will cause issues? This is the first new car I've ever purchased. Very frustrated having the same worries I had when driving a clunker.
My 1.5L hasn't had any problems. Only 42,000 miles. Mine is a 2017 built in 2016. I got the same notice and took it to the dealer for the reprogramming. No issues. Only took less than 30 minutes. I believe it has something to do with engine optimization so it doesn't run as hot(?). I know some of the 1.5L built later have had issues overheating and coolant getting into a cylinder.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey all, new to the club. Looking for guidance from the community as it looks like lots of others are trying to navigate the same problem...
I took my my 2017 Ford Escape Titanium into my local dealer at the end of March for service under 19B37. I moved at the end of January into a new home and Ford mailed the CSP to my old address. I guess it was too little too late because on May 28th I took it back in and was told my engine could not be repaired... Engine coolant in the number 3 cylinder.
What's worse is this: my vehicle is currently at 61,530 miles and no longer under powertrain warranty.
My local Ford dealer has tried to help with some compensation, to no avail. My own attempts have been totally ignored as well, my case has now been at the supervisor level since May 29th.
I know there are probably a lot of details Ive left out, but my question is: do I have to just shut up and color? How have others over their warranty been treated/had their issues resolved? Where can I take my story to so its heard? Thanks for the guidance you all, I really appreciate it.
I had my engine replaced in Feb of this year for the exact same thing (2017 Escape 1.5). Ford refused to pay. I walked into the dealer and threatened to get my attorney and the local news station into the dealership to expose Ford and these problems. Two days later, Ford agreed to cover the expense in full. Maybe I got lucky, but I would NOT pay for an engine replacement on a 3 year old vehicle....Ford has dropped the ball and screwed over so many people with this issue....I now have the same error code reading on my Escape...6 months later...

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,619 Posts
.I now have the same error code reading on my Escape...6 months later...
You would have got some form of warranty on the replacement engine (I assume?)

·
Registered
16 Posts
You would have got some form of warranty on the replacement engine (I assume?)
I have a 1 year warranty on the new engine......my concern is the longevity of this Ford. So far, it has not been reliable, and the fact that Ford has allowed this to impact so many people is reason enough to move away from Ford products indefinitely. Ford, shame on you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had my engine replaced in Feb of this year for the exact same thing (2017 Escape 1.5). Ford refused to pay. I walked into the dealer and threatened to get my attorney and the local news station into the dealership to expose Ford and these problems. Two days later, Ford agreed to cover the expense in full. Maybe I got lucky, but I would NOT pay for an engine replacement on a 3 year old vehicle....Ford has dropped the ball and screwed over so many people with this issue....I now have the same error code reading on my Escape...6 months later...
Sounds like specific dealer issues...🤷
I have essentially the same car. Haven't had any issue. Took it in for the reprogramming that's supposed to help prevent the coolant issue. No problems. 42,000 miles on mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 1.5 with the new shortblock is still running great. Better than ever actually. No coolant loss and lots of power. Just to ease anyone's mind if they need it done.
Ditto, except only 42,000 miles. Mine was built in September 2016. I have to wonder if that made a difference?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had no problems with running or anything. Just this past weekend I did notice for the first time that my coolant was below minimum. A concern since I've only driven it 2,300 miles since my last oil change and checkup. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see what they can find. Also just started throwing a P051B code that they will check out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 1.5L hasn't had any problems. Only 42,000 miles. Mine is a 2017 built in 2016. I got the same notice and took it to the dealer for the reprogramming. No issues. Only took less than 30 minutes. I believe it has something to do with engine optimization so it doesn't run as hot(?). I know some of the 1.5L built later have had issues overheating and coolant getting into a cylinder.
Update: If you've got 61,000 miles with no trouble, you're probably good. But I would definitely keep an eye on the coolant and oil levels on a regular basis. I just got my car back (since my first reply) from the dealer. Coolant was low, an inch below minimum, just 2300 miles since last service. Pressure test was good, and no sign of coolant in the cylinders... it's going somewhere..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Update: If you've got 61,000 miles with no trouble, you're probably good. But I would definitely keep an eye on the coolant and oil levels on a regular basis. I just got my car back (since my first reply) from the dealer. Coolant was low, an inch below minimum, just 2300 miles since last service. Pressure test was good, and no sign of coolant in the cylinders... it's going somewhere..
Micro cracks in head will cause slow consumption. It's often slow enough to not throw misfire code or show up anywhere other than coolant being consumed. Leak down test done correctly can show this.

361 - 374 of 374 Posts