2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
381 - 397 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape 1.5L AWD
7 Posts
They'd be checking all the required service items have been done on time as required. (Which is fair enough.)
Oh definitely. I expected that, I'm just pessimistically thinking that they'll insert something on there like a flush or tune up that was "recommended" and I don't have record of. Everything the dealership told me to get performed service wise was done and recorded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had my engine replaced in Feb of this year for the exact same thing (2017 Escape 1.5). Ford refused to pay. I walked into the dealer and threatened to get my attorney and the local news station into the dealership to expose Ford and these problems. Two days later, Ford agreed to cover the expense in full. Maybe I got lucky, but I would NOT pay for an engine replacement on a 3 year old vehicle....Ford has dropped the ball and screwed over so many people with this issue....I now have the same error code reading on my Escape...6 months later...
I wish they would have done something. I threatened and all for months and nothing. They refuse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had the same issue. My 2017 escape broke down in February of 2020. we received a paper in may 2020 about the update. I called in June to see if ford would cover the engine damage if it was caused by this software malfunction. They told me absolutely. If its on them its their job to fix it. I even told her that my car had 76,000 miles on it and she said that won't matter because again if it is a problem on their side they will fix it. We had no way to get the car to the dealership not to mention we were quarantined. In October we took the car in after calling again to make sure it would be covered. We take it in and they wont cover it. It has been a fight ever sense. They don't want to pay for anything. I am getting a layer because they don't want to do their jobs. I have spoken to one and this is covered under the lemon law and they do not have a foot to stand on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had the same issue. My 2017 escape broke down in February of 2020. we received a paper in may 2020 about the update. I called in June to see if ford would cover the engine damage if it was caused by this software malfunction. They told me absolutely. If its on them its their job to fix it. I even told her that my car had 76,000 miles on it and she said that won't matter because again if it is a problem on their side they will fix it. We had no way to get the car to the dealership not to mention we were quarantined. In October we took the car in after calling again to make sure it would be covered. We take it in and they wont cover it. It has been a fight ever sense. They don't want to pay for anything. I am getting a layer because they don't want to do their jobs. I have spoken to one and this is covered under the lemon law and they do not have a foot to stand on.
I have a 2018 Escape, purchased in 2019 with 40,000 miles, I'm the second owner. Recall letters for my group of VINs were sent out in January 2020, I didn't get one until JULY! I took the car in 5 days later for the recall "fix". 7 months later, coolant in my cylinder. It's been a month long fight with no one wanting to step up. NOW I am outside of the 12,000/1 year recall warranty. Ford is covering $4,000 out of the original $8,200 bill. I have only been able to get to the supervisor level at Ford. They refuse to escalate higher, claiming that there is no one above their supervisors. They are telling me that I should be grateful that they are even covering that much since I'm outside of warranty. I ask them why am I being held to black and white standards with the warranty....but they failed to notify me of this problem for 6 months! At that point, the damage must have already been done. Because if this was a true "FIX", I wouldn't be here today with a blown motor on a 3 year old car. They have no answer for me, they keep telling me it's not a recall fix. WHAT???!?! The exact issue at hand is word for word what the recall describes. I'll be picking up my car tomorrow but I'm still going to fight with them. Not to mention, I had to dig and dig and dig to find my recall with Ford in their RECALL DEPT. They kept telling me there is no recall active/inactive for my VIN. How is this when I got the letter, it's on my Carfax, the Ford garage verified the recall number and fix. This is bullshit to hold so many people captive in these cars with this engine problem. I have yet to threaten them with social media coverage or a lawyer. But I've been keeping that in my back pocket to use if it went bad. Well, now I think is the time. I'll be out thousands of dollars tomorrow, picking it up. But I will be fighting with Ford to be reimbursed. I guess this is my life now. Waiting on snail mail answers and not getting any where on the phone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2018 Escape, purchased in 2019 with 40,000 miles, I'm the second owner. Recall letters for my group of VINs were sent out in January 2020, I didn't get one until JULY! I took the car in 5 days later for the recall "fix". 7 months later, coolant in my cylinder. It's been a month long fight with no one wanting to step up. NOW I am outside of the 12,000/1 year recall warranty. Ford is covering $4,000 out of the original $8,200 bill. I have only been able to get to the supervisor level at Ford. They refuse to escalate higher, claiming that there is no one above their supervisors. They are telling me that I should be grateful that they are even covering that much since I'm outside of warranty. I ask them why am I being held to black and white standards with the warranty....but they failed to notify me of this problem for 6 months! At that point, the damage must have already been done. Because if this was a true "FIX", I wouldn't be here today with a blown motor on a 3 year old car. They have no answer for me, they keep telling me it's not a recall fix. WHAT???!?! The exact issue at hand is word for word what the recall describes. I'll be picking up my car tomorrow but I'm still going to fight with them. Not to mention, I had to dig and dig and dig to find my recall with Ford in their RECALL DEPT. They kept telling me there is no recall active/inactive for my VIN. How is this when I got the letter, it's on my Carfax, the Ford garage verified the recall number and fix. This is bullshit to hold so many people captive in these cars with this engine problem. I have yet to threaten them with social media coverage or a lawyer. But I've been keeping that in my back pocket to use if it went bad. Well, now I think is the time. I'll be out thousands of dollars tomorrow, picking it up. But I will be fighting with Ford to be reimbursed. I guess this is my life now. Waiting on snail mail answers and not getting any where on the phone.
I’ve threatened all of it and still they refuse to pay anything. I have even sent a certified mail letter to corporate stating this is covered under lemon law and that if they refuse to fix it I would be getting a lawyer. They still refused. The only option I have now is to sue them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve threatened all of it and still they refuse to pay anything. I have even sent a certified mail letter to corporate stating this is covered under lemon law and that if they refuse to fix it I would be getting a lawyer. They still refused. The only option I have now is to sue them.
Ford EcoBoost Problems Lead To Class Action Lawsuit Turns out there is a class action, I've been contacting and submitting info the the 2-3 firms representing plaintiffs. I'd check into it if you're interested. I sure am!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where do I find that information?
In the article I posted. On the bottom of that article are two firms that are representing the participants. You will have to go to their websites and "contact them", you'll fill out your info and qualifying story then follow instructions. I'm waiting for someone to get ahold of me. I'll have to eat the repair bill tomorrow when I pick up my car but I'm hoping to make it back, or at least a little of it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
In the article I posted. On the bottom of that article are two firms that are representing the participants. You will have to go to their websites and "contact them", you'll fill out your info and qualifying story then follow instructions. I'm waiting for someone to get ahold of me. I'll have to eat the repair bill tomorrow when I pick up my car but I'm hoping to make it back, or at least a little of it!
I didn’t let them fix my car after they told me it wouldn’t be covered so it’s been sitting undrivable for over a year now. We purchased an engine and having someone else put it in because they were charging way too much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I stand corrected...just got off the phone with my service department...they also claim it is to address the coolant loss through the cylinder bore. They claimed it would stop it, but I find that hard to believe. No mention about anything to do with remote start or auto start/stop. They said it would take about a half hour.
We bought a used 2017 Escape SE and didn't know about this issue with the 1.5L engine since the previous owner did the CSP which I agree, how does running coolant pump after you shut the engine off fix a leak of coolant into the cylinders. We bought it about 3 months ago and probably only driven for half that time and it started running rough when you started it a few weeks ago but no alerts but 2 days ago the check engine came on solid. It wasn't driven and was waiting to take to get diagnosed this morning but when it was started the check engine started blinking so we had to get it towed of course all Ford Dealerships are book out months in advanced. If you can tow it here we may be able to diagnose in 2-3 weeks but longer to fix it. Ford's response is to call dealerships further away. Also we had the vehicle in the shop trying to diagnose the auto start/stop not engaging and the local dealership said someone must have used forscan to disable it but I found in the carfax this reprogramming in Feb 2020 which makes this update suspicious for modifying this feature also. I also think that this was a band-aid to cover Ford from having to fix engines by pushing it out past the deadline. They only gave a couple of months after the CSP was initiated to dealers. Of course the Fordpass will not give you the DTC codes so you can know for sure if this is the issue in the bulletin. Had to take it a non ford car shop since it is the only mode of transportation. If I would know about this problem we wouldn't of purchased it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,346 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Also we had the vehicle in the shop trying to diagnose the auto start/stop not engaging and the local dealership said someone must have used forscan to disable it
That's one of the most common complaints on Escape/ Kuga forums. It's unlikely anyone has disabled it- most likely either your battery needs replacing or it simply needs to be charged via a battery charger. The stop/ start system has to combat a battery smart charging system which tries to also save fuel by limiting the alternator charge going to the battery. The two don't seem to work too well together in the Escape/ Kuga platform with "Stop / Start" often failing to work unless people regularly do long trips.

Good luck with your engine. It sounds like you'll be requiring a rebuild. :(

I think Ford's theory on leaving the water pump running after engine shutdown was to help control any latent heat in the engine. As you can imagine when first shut down the engine is still hot and suddenly there's no coolant flowing to control the temperature rise. A band-aid to cover other problems perhaps.

Reactions: ralph7up

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Welcome to the forum

That's one of the most common complaints on Escape/ Kuga forums. It's unlikely anyone has disabled it- most likely either your battery needs replacing or it simply needs to be charged via a battery charger. The stop/ start system has to combat a battery smart charging system which tries to also save fuel by limiting the alternator charge going to the battery. The two don't seem to work too well together with "Stop / Start" often failing to work unless people regularly do long trips.
Yep..I was puzzled by this as currently due to mainly short trips every few days in the Escape I have a trickle charger attached to the battery 24/7 and it always shows full charge however when I go for a drive sometimes the stop/start system does not work.
When I return I always connect the charger again when the engine cools a bit and the charger goes through it's checking sequence and shows full charge again in an hour or so. Can I do any harm to the battery by using the CTEK this way?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum

That's one of the most common complaints on Escape/ Kuga forums. It's unlikely anyone has disabled it- most likely either your battery needs replacing or it simply needs to be charged via a battery charger. The stop/ start system has to combat a battery smart charging system which tries to also save fuel by limiting the alternator charge going to the battery. The two don't seem to work too well together in the Escape/ Kuga platform with "Stop / Start" often failing to work unless people regularly do long trips.

Good luck with your engine. It sounds like you'll be requiring a rebuild. :(

I think Ford's theory on leaving the water pump running after engine shutdown was to help control any latent heat in the engine. As you can imagine when first shut down the engine is still hot and suddenly there's no coolant flowing to control the temperature rise. A band-aid to cover other problems perhaps.
It doesn't fix the root of the problem where the coolant is deteriorating the seals to eventually cause the leak. This is only 5 years and 107,000 miles. You would think on a brand new engine design part of the process after running periods would be to pull the engine apart and make sure there were no long term issues. But if they can it get it past the warranties in some way they are not footing the cost. This is from someone who has only had Fords for 35 years without much issues. My 99 ranger, I had for 20 years before giving to my father. Toward the end had to put some money in every couple of years for seals and ball joints and sway bar ends but not a new engine. Just disappointed and feel duped since it was listed as a good used car buy on the various car sites and their were no outstanding recalls. I guess if I new what to search for I would have found this and not purchased it.

As for the battery, it was tested and was within specs.

·
Super Moderator
3,346 Posts
It doesn't fix the root of the problem where the coolant is deteriorating the seals to eventually cause the leak.
From all the info posted by people that doesn't appear to be the cause.

As for the battery, it was tested and was within specs.
I don't want to drag this thread off the TSB topic. If it's the original battery then it is most likely the problem - even if it's tested okay.

When I return I always connect the charger again when the engine cools a bit and the charger goes through it's checking sequence and shows full charge again in an hour or so. Can I do any harm to the battery by using the CTEK this way?
This thread needs to stay on the TSB topic. What you've asked has been covered on one of the other battery threads - the Ctek is designed to operate so it can be left connected permanently. Also mentioned was just because the Ctek says your battery is fully charged doesn't necessarily equate with what the BMS system says the SOC is at.

·
Super Moderator
3,346 Posts
Reactions: Vader101
381 - 397 of 397 Posts