2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally the sun is out and so is blinding glare from that chrome strip. I haven't seen anyone talk about it unless it's only in Titanium trim but it has to go.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE I3 & 2020 Titanium Hybrid
162 Posts
Hmm, I can't say I've had that problem...

Reactions: Hitokiri

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
62 Posts
Had same problem on our 2013 chrome trim around vents. Oddly enough our 2017s have black trim. weird that Ford would go backwards on an engineering change?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the effect is basically someone shinning a flashlight in your face, highly distracting and unpleasant even with sunglasses on. I put 1/4 black vinyl strip over it.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE I3 & 2020 Titanium Hybrid
162 Posts
Rub a little bit of chap stick on the affected area.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Matte black strip is a quick fix. Hopefully Ford gets a note that this is a stupid design for sake of chrome bling bling.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,014 Posts
Haven't had that with ours, so its all about seat height and angle of the sun.
As far as the black chrome on the vent after the chrome on the 2013, it was changed on the 2014+.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haven't had that with ours, so its all about seat height and angle of the sun.
As far as the black chrome on the vent after the chrome on the 2013, it was changed on the 2014+.
Seat height doesn't matter much as I took picture at lower position and not at my eye level but the sun glaring right above is all it matters. If you don't drive usually around noon then you might never run into this. It took me 9 month to experience this first time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an SEL with the black interior. The same kind of strip but it is not "chrome", it is more of an in-between. No sharp reflections. Maybe the super shiny piece is only in the Titanium?

·
Registered
2017 White/Gold Titanium 2.0 AWD
51 Posts
You can try running a piece of Scotch Brite pad lightly over the plastic chrome and giving it the brushed look like #12's picture. I would mask around the area first. Be careful not to remove the chrome completely or break through the finish. My 2007 Edge had a beautiful dash that was light tan. Looked nice but you couldn't see when driving into the sun. I bought a black dash cover and fixed the problem. Sometimes the designers win out over the engineers and do their form over functionality thing.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an SEL with the black interior. The same kind of strip but it is not "chrome", it is more of an in-between. No sharp reflections. Maybe the super shiny piece is only in the Titanium?

View attachment 79500
It's hard to say from the picture but basically it's the same chrome used throughout interior such as vents, door handles etc... It's less glossy then exterior one.

If they made that dash protrusion straight down rather then at an angle chrome wouldn't be an issue there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same exact problem here. I live in Arizona where is sunny 300 days a year—that chrome-ish strip driver side and the wider brushed chrome looking strip running across rest of the dash are basically mirrors in bright sunlight. I seen a product online used to black-out chrome emblems (I forget the name). Is kind of an aerosol latex paint can peel off other surfaces. Been thinking about it, but, really don’t want mess up a $40K car I just bought—haha!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Same exact problem here. I live in Arizona where is sunny 300 days a year—that chrome-ish strip driver side and the wider brushed chrome looking strip running across rest of the dash are basically mirrors in bright sunlight. I seen a product online used to black-out chrome emblems (I forget the name). Is kind of an aerosol latex paint can peel off other surfaces. Been thinking about it, but, really don’t want mess up a $40K car I just bought—haha!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RJ23R51 I got this. Simple solution, almost exact size and can be easily removed

Reactions: KenELamb
1 - 20 of 25 Posts