2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got My R-Pod hooked up with the new 7 pin wiring that was put on recently and took it for about a 1/2 hour test drive this morning. I was surprised how much power the F E had . Could hardly tell it was there. I was in normal Drive mode and I have heard it should be in sport when pulling trailer so I will try that next time .
R-Pod on Escape 1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
So you got trailer brakes?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Yes I have brakes
Sweet. I’m thinking I may need them someday. My wife wants a camper like yours. Is it difficult to add trailer brake controller?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet. I’m thinking I may need them someday. My wife wants a camper like yours. Is it difficult to add trailer brake controller?
I had a guy that knows trailer wiring inside out and backwards . More to it than what one would think . He removed the 4 pin plug and put in a 7 pin one . Ran a separate fused wire wire from battery plus another separate line with a system to isolate the car battery from the camper one but to also charge the camper batteries while driving . Of course anew brake controller inside under the dash but visible and easy to operate . He only charged me $300.00 cash and it took him about three hours .

·
Registered
3,507 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
What's the weight of your R-Pod? The whole point of all of these ultralight campers is to be able to tow them with smaller vehicle. I have 16' full size Aerolite hybrid camper. GVWR is 1224kg (a little over 2700lb). The guy who I bought it from was towing it with mini van. He never had the brake controller. The brakes on the trailer are there for safety purposes only in case of breakaway. Pretty sure most provinces in Canada are not requiring by law to have brakes if your trailer is under 1500kg. Each province might be different though so you have to check with yours. I brought it home with my truck, but I plan to use it occasionally with the Escape(with weight distribution hitch and sway control bar). After looking at wiring I decided not to bother altering the 4pin factory hook up on the escape. I don't camp enough off grid to worry about charging my battery while Iam driving. The battery isolater system you are talking about in most cases is a simple high current relay that connects both batteries when you turn the ignition key on.
Sure, it's better to have a brake controller installed in your escape, also camper battery hooked to the vehicle charging system but in some cases it is ok to just leave it as is.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the weight of your R-Pod? The whole point of all of these ultralight campers is to be able to tow them with smaller vehicle. I have 16' full size Aerolite hybrid camper. GVWR is 1224kg (a little over 2700lb). The guy who I bought it from was towing it with mini van. He never had the brake controller. The brakes on the trailer are there for safety purposes only in case of breakaway. Pretty sure most provinces in Canada are not requiring by law to have brakes if your trailer is under 1500kg. Each province might be different though so you have to check with yours. I brought it home with my truck, but I plan to use it occasionally with the Escape(with weight distribution hitch and sway control bar). After looking at wiring I decided not to bother altering the 4pin factory hook up on the escape. I don't camp enough off grid to worry about charging my battery while Iam driving. The battery isolater system you are talking about in most cases is a simple high current relay that connects both batteries when you turn the ignition key on.
Sure, it's better to have a brake controller installed in your escape, also camper battery hooked to the vehicle charging system but in some cases it is ok to just leave it as is.
My trailer is 2400 pounds so well within the towing capacity of my F E . In the province of BC where I live , if a trailer is heavy enough to have brakes on it from new then it is mandatory to have the brakes hooked up when pulling it. I live in the Rockies with lots of long steep many mile long hills both up and down .Up is no problem with the power of that little car but no way am I going to be wearing out the brakes on my car with a trailer pushing it with no brakes on it. There is not enough gearing in the car to hold it back . And in case of emergency I want brakes working on both car and trailer at the same time . Better safe than sorry .

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a guy that knows trailer wiring inside out and backwards . More to it than what one would think . He removed the 4 pin plug and put in a 7 pin one . Ran a separate fused wire wire from battery plus another separate line with a system to isolate the car battery from the camper one but to also charge the camper batteries while driving . Of course anew brake controller inside under the dash but visible and easy to operate . He only charged me $300.00 cash and it took him about three hours .
I installed a brake control on our 2001 Escape to pull our pop up. Makes a huge difference in stopping length. I didn't run a constant 12 volt to 7 pin because we never went far with our camper. I didn't need to charge the campers battery while driving. The hardest part was routing the wire through the cars cabin to the back. I didn't want my wires running underneath and exposed to snow and slush.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In Illinois the law requires brakes for trailers over 3,000 pounds. I would not want to rely on the Escapes brakes only and especially in a panic stop situation. Our pop up weighed 2,500 pounds and it was a chore to slow down with just the car brakes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wanted to remind everyone that this thread is for 2020 and newer Escapes.
Is the towing capacity different on the 2020? The thread seems more about safe towing and brakes. Seems these ideas should be relevant to all 4 generations?

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,364 Posts
Is the towing capacity different on the 2020? The thread seems more about safe towing and brakes. Seems these ideas should be relevant to all 4 generations?
This forum is just for 3G and 4G Escapes (2013 and newer). This thread is just for 2020 and newer. We have other threads for the 3G MY’s, to discuss towing. If you want to discuss the 1G and 2G MY’s, the escape-city.com would be the forum you need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts