2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear a significant flapping and thumping noise that sounds like it comes mostly from the right rear wheel area and to a slightly lesser degree across the entire rear of the vehicle. It is a concussion type of noise and I don’t hear it when the windows are down. It does not record well, but passengers tell me it is more prominent when they are in the back seat area than when in the from seat. It is more noticeable on smooth roads as bumps and rough pavement is loud enough to mask the flapping.
The dealership reported a loose screw on the front was replaced, but the noise did not abate. I have crawled underneath and do not see anything loose, but the material the wheel wells are made of is extremely pliable and is not attached to anything structural on the back side of the tire. The rear bumper is also very flexible and has nothing rigid to attach to on the lower part of the bumper. I can flex and fold these materials easily and when “thumbed” they make a similar flappy type noise as I hear while driving at speeds over 45 and under 65.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is my car just extra special? :cry:

· Registered
2,754 Posts
What brand of tires are on it? I used to get this noise from one of the original tires that were on the car from new but it may have been more than one....hard to tell.
Seemed to disappear when I replaced them.

· Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,755 Posts
Do you hear it when just one window front window is opened or the sunroof (if you have one)?
If so try opening the rear window of the opposite side about 3", if it goes away what you're describing is referred to as "helicoptering". Its caused by the interior shape/design of the rear window and isn't Escape specific, the first time I ran into it was on a Kia Optima about 7 years ago.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you hear it when just one window front window is opened or the sunroof (if you have one)?
If so try opening the rear window of the opposite side about 3", if it goes away what you're describing is referred to as "helicoptering". Its caused by the interior shape/design of the rear window and isn't Escape specific, the first time I ran into it was on a Kia Optima about 7 years ago.
I hear it with all the windows closed. It is masked by outside road noise as soon as any window is cracked open. I have not tried just opening the sunroof yet. I’ll give that a shot tomorrow.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear it with all the windows closed. It is masked by outside road noise as soon as any window is cracked open. I have not tried just opening the sunroof yet. I’ll give that a shot tomorrow.
Also, I should add that the fluttering/thumping noise is not regular nor even. It is irregularly spaced and varies in volume, but does not seem to change based on speed except that it does not occur below 45mph and either does not occur or is masked by increased road noise over 70mph. It is often most easily heard between 50-55mph

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
2,754 Posts
Tires all checked out. No broken belts, uneven wear, or blemishes found.
That's fine, but in my case with a similar noise it was due to the particular brand of tire that was originally on my Escape. I was advised by my tire guy when I replaced them that he had similar complaints about that particular brand and type.
That's why I asked what brand you have. ;)

· Registered
1 Posts
I hear a significant flapping and thumping noise that sounds like it comes mostly from the right rear wheel area and to a slightly lesser degree across the entire rear of the vehicle. It is a concussion type of noise and I don’t hear it when the windows are down. It does not record well, but passengers tell me it is more prominent when they are in the back seat area than when in the from seat. It is more noticeable on smooth roads as bumps and rough pavement is loud enough to mask the flapping.
The dealership reported a loose screw on the front was replaced, but the noise did not abate. I have crawled underneath and do not see anything loose, but the material the wheel wells are made of is extremely pliable and is not attached to anything structural on the back side of the tire. The rear bumper is also very flexible and has nothing rigid to attach to on the lower part of the bumper. I can flex and fold these materials easily and when “thumbed” they make a similar flappy type noise as I hear while driving at speeds over 45 and under 65.

On my 2017 it's those black cover panels underneath. Some of the plastic holders fall off due to wind under there. It's a cheap way to cover up the lines under there. They fixed it on the 2018+ on ours use wire or get some clips that slide on and don't come off from parts house. Hope that helps :)

· Registered
2021 Escape Hybrid Titanium AWD
27 Posts
I too have this noise or something that sounds like a rubber flapping sound. Only seems to be audible on the freeway. Sometimes gets louder if I turn the HVAC off. To me it sounds like the air extractor flaps are flapping around in the wind. The noise comes from rear trunk area. Seems like the right side but for sure the rear trunk area.

Eric B
2020 Hybrid Titanium AWD

· Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
7,548 Posts
On my 2017 it's those black cover panels underneath. Some of the plastic holders fall off due to wind under there. It's a cheap way to cover up the lines under there. They fixed it on the 2018+ on ours use wire or get some clips that slide on and don't come off from parts house. Hope that helps :)
This thread is just for the 4G Escapes (2020 and newer).

· Registered
47 Posts

I have the same exact issue. Brought in twice and second time they secured the liner but it still makes noise right around 50 MPH.

A bit annoying but not going to lose my mind over it…

· Registered
12 Posts
My wife's had the same issue. It turned out to be missing push-pins on that plastic cover that needs to be removed to do an oil change. Once replaced, all was fine.

· Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,755 Posts
Techs have a nasty habit of tightening those down with a cordless drill and stripping out the plastic nut that snaps into the frame.
Anytime mine hits the shop for anything I always check it afterwards and look for any that are stripped or missing screws.

· Registered
3 Posts
A couple years ago I had a noise I would describe exactly as you did (Escape 2017 Titanium), and it was a simple no-charge fix under warranty. I did the same thing you did … under the care, checking the wheel well, etc. The final fix was not easily noticeable unless you know what you're looking for. Here is the exact text for the fix, from the invoice: "C/S UNDER CARRIAGE FLAPS WHILE DRIVING...C/S SHIELD LOOSE"

Basically (I'm non-technical with cars), there is a plastic cover under the engine area, mostly on the passenger side, held in place by plastic push-pin type retainer clips. One was missing and a couple others just need to be pushed back in. At low speeds it was okay, but at higher speeds the wind would get under the cover and the flapping sound you described would begin. If this is the issue for you, it should be easy for the dealer to check/fix, or you could try it yourself by pushing in all the pins and replacing any missing. For future use, I bought an assortment of these pins from Amazon, and have used them for other projects around the house.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

· Registered
2021 Carbonized Grey SEL, Stealth Pack, Tech Pack, B&O, Pano Roof
63 Posts
Also, I should add that the fluttering/thumping noise is not regular nor even. It is irregularly spaced and varies in volume, but does not seem to change based on speed except that it does not occur below 45mph and either does not occur or is masked by increased road noise over 70mph. It is often most easily heard between 50-55mph
I have the very same issue, did you get it sorted? I am suspecting the inner fender material as it is very loose.

· Registered
1 Posts

I just traded in our Ford Edge and got a 2021 escape del and hearing the exact same noise. I will be going to DelRay Ford for another recall and will have them check it out. Extremely annoying! I will keep you updated if they find anything. Thanks

· Registered
104 Posts

Since the Escape and Bronco Sport are basically the same vehicle I am confident this is the issue ... Flapping noise cargo area

1 - 20 of 49 Posts