2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hear a significant flapping and thumping noise that sounds like it comes mostly from the right rear wheel area and to a slightly lesser degree across the entire rear of the vehicle. It is a concussion type of noise and I don’t hear it when the windows are down. It does not record well, but passengers tell me it is more prominent when they are in the back seat area than when in the from seat. It is more noticeable on smooth roads as bumps and rough pavement is loud enough to mask the flapping.
The dealership reported a loose screw on the front was replaced, but the noise did not abate. I have crawled underneath and do not see anything loose, but the material the wheel wells are made of is extremely pliable and is not attached to anything structural on the back side of the tire. The rear bumper is also very flexible and has nothing rigid to attach to on the lower part of the bumper. I can flex and fold these materials easily and when “thumbed” they make a similar flappy type noise as I hear while driving at speeds over 45 and under 65.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is my car just extra special? :cry:
I have a 2021 titanium hybrid that makes that sound. Is yours a hybrid? Mine sounds like it’s in the right rear quarter panel. Ford has looked at it twice, to no avail. It appears to be getting more prevalent now. Also increases sound at higher speeds. Mainly after about 40 mph it starts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just had the car in for a few days.

Was diagnosed as leaking shocks (both). Parts in back order and will need to head back to get them installed.

Was not expecting that to be the cause.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hear a significant flapping and thumping noise that sounds like it comes mostly from the right rear wheel area and to a slightly lesser degree across the entire rear of the vehicle. It is a concussion type of noise and I don’t hear it when the windows are down. It does not record well, but passengers tell me it is more prominent when they are in the back seat area than when in the from seat. It is more noticeable on smooth roads as bumps and rough pavement is loud enough to mask the flapping.
The dealership reported a loose screw on the front was replaced, but the noise did not abate. I have crawled underneath and do not see anything loose, but the material the wheel wells are made of is extremely pliable and is not attached to anything structural on the back side of the tire. The rear bumper is also very flexible and has nothing rigid to attach to on the lower part of the bumper. I can flex and fold these materials easily and when “thumbed” they make a similar flappy type noise as I hear while driving at speeds over 45 and under 65.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is my car just extra special? :cry:
Hi,

My wife has the same issue on our 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium. All of the symptoms that you described match with what we've experienced.

After taking the car to the dealership, they replaced two pieces that were on the roof near the rear on both sides next to the hinges for the hatchback. This hasn't resolved the issue and to verify that these weren't the culprit, I removed them entirely and drove the car. The issue still persists.

Like you, I've attempted to find anything that could be loose and secure it in some fashion followed by a test drive; however, I still can't pinpoint the source of the noise.

We are also experiencing rattling from the woofer for the radio and lots of distortion. Not sure if the two issues are connected.

Like you, I feel that perhaps it's coming from the undercarriage which doesn't seem overly secure into the vehicle and causing something inside to rattle. At this point, I don't have much confidence in my diagnosis so I'm likely going to take it to another Ford dealership.

Please let me know if you have found a solution. It's disappointing to have these types of issues. Appreciate you posting this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

My wife has the same issue on our 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium. All of the symptoms that you described match with what we've experienced.

After taking the car to the dealership, they replaced two pieces that were on the roof near the rear on both sides next to the hinges for the hatchback. This hasn't resolved the issue and to verify that these weren't the culprit, I removed them entirely and drove the car. The issue still persists.

Like you, I've attempted to find anything that could be loose and secure it in some fashion followed by a test drive; however, I still can't pinpoint the source of the noise.

We are also experiencing rattling from the woofer for the radio and lots of distortion. Not sure if the two issues are connected.

Like you, I feel that perhaps it's coming from the undercarriage which doesn't seem overly secure into the vehicle and causing something inside to rattle. At this point, I don't have much confidence in my diagnosis so I'm likely going to take it to another Ford dealership.

Please let me know if you have found a solution. It's disappointing to have these types of issues. Appreciate you posting this.
Being reported as left and right filler panels who go in the rear of the vehicle underneath the car. Here are the part numbers: LJ6Z*5811778*C AND LJ6Z*7811779*B. The technician temporarily fixed while parts are on order so I'm pretty confident that this is the issue. Not sure why these panels were left off the vehicle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Being reported as left and right filler panels who go in the rear of the vehicle underneath the car. Here are the part numbers: LJ6Z*5811778*C AND LJ6Z*7811779*B. The technician temporarily fixed while parts are on order so I'm pretty confident that this is the issue. Not sure why these panels were left off the vehicle.
Can you post an image of said part?

Im looking in the parts manual and it shows no image of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you post an image of said part?

Im looking in the parts manual and it shows no image of it.
I've attached a doc with scanned copies of what the dealer provided which shows the location of the missing part. I'm able to google the part numbers but don't see an image on-line. It hasn't been ordered yet b/c I'm having issues with Ford covering through their warranty. I'll be sure to upload a picture when it has been replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah, I could see them missing one of those. At least one plant I was at they didn't have any error proofing on some of those panels. I'm surprised it wouldn't be covered under warranty if it's pretty clear it was never there in the first place.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have that same issue, on and off, since I bought the car in Oct 2020. Just about every time I bring it to the dealership, they try something and the sound is gone for a few days to a week, and then it comes back. Some days, it is not that bad, other days, it is really annoying.
1st dealer trip: tightened the under shield of the car near where they do the oil change.
2nd dealer trip: Sound could not be heard
3rd dealer trip: Checked the bumper covers
4th dealer trip: Changed out the rear cup holders
5th dealer trip: Sound could not be heard, but my sub-woofer rattled, even with bass turned off and all the sound going up front, so they tightened a rear cross traffic sensor and put foam strips- that really helped the sound system and they thought would help the sound I hear, it didn't.

·
Registered
2022 Escape SE PHEV
19 Posts
I've attached a doc with scanned copies of what the dealer provided which shows the location of the missing part. I'm able to google the part numbers but don't see an image on-line. It hasn't been ordered yet b/c I'm having issues with Ford covering through their warranty. I'll be sure to upload a picture when it has been replaced.
Very interesting. I checked under the back of my 2022 SE PHEV, and I am indeed missing the right filler panel, but I do have the left filler panel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2021 Escape SEL has the same thumping noise coming from the back. I BELIEVE IT IS WIND NOISE. We discovered that it only happens when the ventilation system is in "RECIRC" mode. When we turn "RECIRC" off, the noise magically disappears! I suspect the air flow around the back of the vehicle changes when the air flow THROUGH the vehicle changes. Has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
2022 Escape SEL PHEV
8 Posts
Our 2021 Escape SEL has the same thumping noise coming from the back. I BELIEVE IT IS WIND NOISE. We discovered that it only happens when the ventilation system is in "RECIRC" mode. When we turn "RECIRC" off, the noise magically disappears! I suspect the air flow around the back of the vehicle changes when the air flow THROUGH the vehicle changes. Has anyone else tried this?
2022 Sel plug-in. Same issue and result. Worse in Recirc. Better with a window slightly open.

·
Registered
2022 Escape SEL PHEV
8 Posts
Yeah, I could see them missing one of those. At least one plant I was at they didn't have any error proofing on some of those panels. I'm surprised it wouldn't be covered under warranty if it's pretty clear it was never there in the first place.
I am also missing these panels. There is some cloth mounted where the left should be. 2022 Sel plug-in.

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV
70 Posts
There is an air vent behind the red reflectors in the rear bumper below the tail lights on both sides. These air vents exhaust the cabin air supplied by the HVAC when fresh air is being brought into the cabin.

The exhaust vent grilles in the cabin are located below the subwoofer and in the same location on the other side. Air is exhausted below the vehicle behind the rear wheels.

These air vents have a thin flexible flapper that closes the vent when air is not being exhausted. The flapper allows air to only flow out of the cabin and not in to prevent engine exhaust backflow into the cabin.

This flapper can be affected by air turbulence created under the vehicle when at speed. The flapper can rapidly open and close due to this air turbulence creating a noise.

When the HVAC is circulating outside air into the cabin, the flapper is held open by escaping cabin air and won’t create the noise. During HVAC recirculation, the flapper is closed and can be disturbed into an open and closed state by air turbulence under the vehicle.

·
Registered
2022 Escape SEL PHEV
8 Posts
There is an air vent behind the red reflectors in the rear bumper below the tail lights on both sides. These air vents exhaust the cabin air supplied by the HVAC when fresh air is being brought into the cabin.

The exhaust vent grilles in the cabin are located below the subwoofer and in the same location on the other side. Air is exhausted below the vehicle behind the rear wheels...
Design flaw or missing part or? Any thoughts on why only some vehicles have this issue?

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV
70 Posts
Look under the right rear behind the tire. Do you see the thick felt pad that the arrow is pointing to? Make sure it positioned well to block the opening and not bent upward or downward. The vent is located in the vertical
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light

space just above this pad. You can move the pad and feel the vent with its flap with your hand. This pad partially blocks the opening leading to the vent and reduces the air turbulence a bit that could disturb the flap.

·
Registered
2022 Escape SEL PHEV
8 Posts
Look under the right rear behind the tire. Do you see the thick felt pad that the arrow is pointing to? Make sure it positioned well to block the opening and not bent upward or downward. The vent is located in the vertical ...
Thank you for this information and for the time you have spent on this. Mine has no felt pad.

Automotive tire Tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

21 - 36 of 36 Posts