2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· Registered
2022 Escape SEL PHEV
11 Posts
Here are pics of the parts from the numbers above. Dealer said that they would have to diagnose the problem and then run through Ford engineering for Ford to pay. He gave a very rough estimate of $300 if I want to pay. I may just order them online myself and see if I can install. Looking under the car I'm not completely clear how they mount.
They look like the picture but are foam and not felt. I think the second one ..11169-A is for the passenger side.

Material property Font Packing materials Plastic Auto part
Font Electric blue Transparency Label Advertising
Material property Font Tints and shades Space Electric blue

· Registered
2022 Ford Escape SEL AWD
3 Posts
I have the exact same problem It's weird that sometimes it doesn't happen, but overall I would say it happens more than not. My thoughts are its the cheap material they use in the wheel well and underbody. I have an appointment scheduled at the dealership to get fixed. I sure hope they can fix it.

I was able to capture a video of the sound. Is this what you all are hearing??

2022 Ford Escape SEL Flapping/thumping noise from right wheel and rear area at highway speeds

· Registered
104 Posts
I have the exact same problem It's weird that sometimes it doesn't happen, but overall I would say it happens more than not. My thoughts are its the cheap material they use in the wheel well and underbody. I have an appointment scheduled at the dealership to get fixed. I sure hope they can fix it.

I was able to capture a video of the sound. Is this what you all are hearing??
- YouTube
Video is private.

· Registered
4 Posts
I hear a significant flapping and thumping noise that sounds like it comes mostly from the right rear wheel area and to a slightly lesser degree across the entire rear of the vehicle. It is a concussion type of noise and I don’t hear it when the windows are down. It does not record well, but passengers tell me it is more prominent when they are in the back seat area than when in the from seat. It is more noticeable on smooth roads as bumps and rough pavement is loud enough to mask the flapping.
The dealership reported a loose screw on the front was replaced, but the noise did not abate. I have crawled underneath and do not see anything loose, but the material the wheel wells are made of is extremely pliable and is not attached to anything structural on the back side of the tire. The rear bumper is also very flexible and has nothing rigid to attach to on the lower part of the bumper. I can flex and fold these materials easily and when “thumbed” they make a similar flappy type noise as I hear while driving at speeds over 45 and under 65.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is my car just extra special? :cry:
I have the same issue with my 2021 escape. I rode in the back seat and is louder coming from around the subwoofer but as you say is also on the other side but significantly less sound.

· Registered
4 Posts
Our 2021 Escape SEL has the same thumping noise coming from the back. I BELIEVE IT IS WIND NOISE. We discovered that it only happens when the ventilation system is in "RECIRC" mode. When we turn "RECIRC" off, the noise magically disappears! I suspect the air flow around the back of the vehicle changes when the air flow THROUGH the vehicle changes. Has anyone else tried this?
After reading your response I went out and drove mine and was able to make it come and go just by simply turning recirculate on and off. That tells me it's related to the cabin pressure and the vents located in the rear. Thank you very much I now know where to place my focus.

· Registered
1 Posts
My 22 escape came with the factory installed hitch. I noticed there were holes in the center of the bumper flap where I presume some sort of rigid bracket was removed to allow for the hitch. Anyone have a similar issue with the “flapping”sound? I need to locate a similar model w/o hitch to see if my hunch is correct???

· Registered
2022 Ford Escape SEL AWD
3 Posts
After reading your response I went out and drove mine and was able to make it come and go just by simply turning recirculate on and off. That tells me it's related to the cabin pressure and the vents located in the rear. Thank you very much I now know where to place my focus.
I just got my car back from being serviced and they said the cause of the issue is an air hole in the rear wheel well meant to allow air flow. They put tape over the hole and it fixed the problem. I will report back if anything changes.

· Registered
2 Posts
I was able to fix the fluttering vents on my 2022 Ford Escape SEL just now. I took the car for a test drive, going up to 60 mph (noise usually started at 40mph) and there was no audible flutter.

I did it with the help of the pics posted by @Donrim in reply #35 and @Robert C in reply #36 on page 2 of this thread. Thank you both for posting those pics of the area directly behind the right rear wheel on the passenger side by the bumper area. It is what allowed me to locate those vents.

I added the instructions in the image below but in case it is not legible:

1. Reach up into the hole with your left hand and you will feel 3 vents one atop the other. Each vent is covered with a loose "flap".
2. Tape the loose edges of each of the flaps to the adjacent flap or surface with duct or gorilla tape. The vents felt like maybe 4-6 inches long.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Trunk Vehicle door

41 - 49 of 49 Posts