2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

221 - 240 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hmm thanks. So that way just uses 4 way flashers but there is some other way that flashes the brake lights? Anyone know what that is like?

Also, how sensitive is it?
I have yet to get it to activate, but I assume that it is based on G-Forces that would be seen while braking heavily under an emergency situation.

What in the world happened in that video, it sounded pretty rough? So they blink if you pull the emergency brake while driving?
I think that the sound is tire squeal/chirp from the ABS activating. Mine activated when I was testing, and I really don't like that feeling from the pedal, glad that I knew what it was.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is there an IPhone app for Focccus was thinking about picking up a Forscan but didn?t want to have to hookup it up to a computer?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is there an IPhone app for Focccus was thinking about picking up a Forscan but didn?t want to have to hookup it up to a computer?
Nope, PC only (Windows).

·
Registered
351 Posts
wandering mind,

If you have any luck, please us let know but from what I've found so far, none of the other vehicles are close to the 17 Escape. For example, the BCM only has six lines compared to the 50 plus of other 17 model vehicles.

The F150 folks just figured out how to increase the momentary blinker from 3 flashes to as many as 7. Works in 17 and down F150 as well as superduty but it is a 724 (sccm) line and I don't see that module on the Escape.

If you'd like to help me mapping the computers, I'd appreciate the help. So far you are the only person who has uploaded a window sticker to me. What I'm doing is downloading the Ford AsBuilt file which shows what was factory loaded into the modules and comparing them to each other looking for differences. Then I compare the window stickers and etis pull in an attempt to isolate what the differences are. Slow progress right now since I'm not home and don't have access to my computer or vehicle.

Bob
Bored here at work, thinking about the Escape. I was thinking about how I had scanned my last car for unlisted PIDs. BlueTooth ODB2 scanner and Torque app on my Android phone. Full disclosure, I did not find any new PIDs - I guess the Grand Am was well known...

Been tempted to try hooking up the same OBD2 scanner to my Escape and use it to map out PIDs of the 2017MY, but from past experience when I simply monitor the Escape's OBD data with the BlueTooth OBD2 scanner and Torque, it causes the vehicle to throw DTCs and the connection drops soon thereafter. I have never experienced such frustrations with the hardwired OBD2 to USB scanner I have for my PC, but I also lack a convenient way to hook up a full size USB connector to my phone - I need to buy an "OTG" adapter.

Now that I think about it, I am going to try loading up Torque in the BlueStacks (Android emulator) on my laptop and see if I can get the hardwired OBD2 to USB scanner to talk with it. If I can get these things to talk with each other, I am going to have "Torque Scan" probe for PIDs. Might be worth looking into, or it might not turn up squat.

Only one way to find out, eh?

I'm curious how the other people (in years past) have mapped out the BCM...

·
Registered
43 Posts
It is possible I believe to download the module as-built data before making a modification using focccus and then download the same module after and check what changes have been made using the forscan.
Just an idea and I stand corrected :) :)

The attached zip file contains an Excel spreadsheet that makes a cut at that (zip is the only way to attach an Excel file to this site).

I'm sure there are other FoCCCus features explained in this forum that I missed - would welcome anyone adding to the spreadsheet and re-posting:
  • Please increment the rev number in the file name if you make changes
  • Please don't add anything unless you've got great confidence it works for the Escape
  • Please don't use the spreadsheet for 'speculative' items or questions
  • Please include all specific details needed - see other entries for examples
This Longhorn Architecture grad welcomes collaboration with an Aggie Engineer to 'grow the database' (I'm a native Austinite living in rural Bastrop County)
:D

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
It is possible I believe to download the module as-built data before making a modification using focccus and then download the same module after and check what changes have been made using the forscan.
Just an idea and I stand corrected :) :)
Probably theoretically possible but beyond me ....

I once tried before/after comparison of xxx.xml files (using Excel parse and cell-compare tools) but it's such a long string of data gave up and even when I found differences it was just cryptic, didn't mean anything I could figure out how to use in any way.

I used an older version of FORScan to look for changes of data after making 'global open' and 'bambi' mods with Focccus but could not find the changes at any of the PIDs reported by FORScan at that time. Many more modules and PIDs have been added to FORScan since then ... maybe now something could be revealed but I'm not going to mess with my long-stable and working reprogramming to chase that.

Noting that I'm decidedly NOT a 'programmer type' so likely lack the wherewithal, tricks and tools to really get into what you're suggesting; I'm a 'follow detailed instructions developed / tested by others kinda guy' when it comes to this stuff.

;)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Now the "Global Open" and "Bambi" modes are changed by directly editing hex data in the "Central Config" module which Forscan is only just beginning to address for our vehicles. User "Trash Hauler" has been working with them on that and did some mods to the as-build central config data for my 2017 Escape to add those two mods. But you won't find them in any other module to change on the Escape.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Hmm thanks. So that way just uses 4 way flashers but there is some other way that flashes the brake lights? Anyone know what that is like?

Also, how sensitive is it?
fyi, flashing the brake lights is illegal in the US, some makes/cars have gotten away with flashing the high CHMSL in the past...

·
Registered
351 Posts
fyi, flashing the brake lights is illegal in the US, some makes/cars have gotten away with flashing the high CHMSL in the past...
I once had a nice 20W, 4-inch long xenon strobe bulb installed in a Saturn's CHMSL. Cops hated me for it - eventually gave me a "fix it or ticket" type ticket. Had to remove it.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Hmm, several dealers in my area install the device that flashes the CHMSL on all their new cars. Maybe it is a state regulated thing? Dunno
No, it is a Federal regulation. States do have latitude in enforcement, though.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
No, it is a Federal regulation. States do have latitude in enforcement, though.
... and Municipal, County, Tribal, Military Base, etc LEOs .... all which can have 'good days' or 'bad days', if ya know what I mean (thanking ALL for their service). ;)

(same goes for "Bambi Mode Mod" [more than four front white beams] and any number of other popular lighting mods)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Im new to the site. Ive done all of my changes to my other vehicles using forscan but now I see that will not work for my 2018 escape. I see I need to use this thing called focccus. I dont know anything about it, Ive tried searching for it through posts cant find it. So what is it and where do I get it and is there a tutorial on how to use it. The other forum I was involved in it was a posted topic that stayed at the top of the forums topics page. Help please?

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Im new to the site. Ive done all of my changes to my other vehicles using forscan but now I see that will not work for my 2018 escape. I see I need to use this thing called focccus. I dont know anything about it, Ive tried searching for it through posts cant find it. So what is it and where do I get it and is there a tutorial on how to use it. The other forum I was involved in it was a posted topic that stayed at the top of the forums topics page. Help please?
Need to correct your (mis)understanding:

Focccus (as of this post date) will not work for your 2018 Escape (nor with any 2016+ Escape)

FORScan is compatible with all years of the '13+ Escape but for many things you need to know the edits required for the item of interest and your year model. This thread may be of help: http://www.fordescape.org/forum/diy-garage/92681-forscan-2017-escapes.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
I need to thank everyone in this thread for all the useful information!! I was able to do Global open, Bambi mode, and Hazard Braking tonight on my 2015 Titanium!! Everything went really smoothly!! Thank you everyone!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I can not read BCM with FOCCCUS, "can't enter security into ECU" on the 2017 FE SE have not tried on the 2017 titanium, I was going to enable global unlock, I think FOCCCUS not compatible with 2017 FE's yet, as I tried something else (sorry forgot what I did) and it said not compatible or something like that.
I did get by that error once when I first initialized the ABS, but it gave some other message I did not write down.

I was able to get rid of al my errors I created by playing with these 2 programs (not changing anything, just trying to look and use this 2 programs), by initializing different things and using FORSCAN to clear the rest, I have the ELM on the previous page with switch.

Thanks for any advice!
I know it has been a few years.. however on a new laptop I tried to duplicate my results to try out emergency braking. I could not read the BCM even though I had the latest Focccus. I had 8.0 which is listed on the bottom. I had to download Focccus 8.6! which was listed somewhere near the bottom, which is actually a later version. Once I did this everything loaded fine.

One little trick, glitch? is when you're doing the read and the hvac auto controls turn on, turn it off immediately, otherwise mine gets stuck reading at 22%. I start with everything off in the car but during the read HVAC systems turn on.. i turn them off as soon as it happens and it continues reading. Hopefully this could help someone else out.

221 - 240 of 270 Posts