2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my 2020 Escape SE hybrid. The back up camera doesn't always work and I cannot get the foot activated liftgate to work at all. I am in contact with the dealership and have been told there was a recall on the camera. But does that affect the liftgate never responding to the foot activation? Has this been a common problem with Escapes or Fords in general?

·
Registered
2020 Escape
188 Posts
I have a 2020 and initially could not get it to open by foot. I was a technique issue on our part. Not an issue with the lift gate.

Our technique is to hold a foot under the center of the bumper for a second or two then step back.That works 99% of the time.

I don’t think the camera has anything to do with it. We passed on a 2020 because of a rear camera issue. The color was right but have a defect right out of the box was a no-go.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The proper technique for using the foot activated tailgate is a gentle "kick" under the middle of the rear bumper like kicking a football. In...then out.

Foot activated tailgate

Just an added note, a side to side motion will not work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased my 2020 Escape SE hybrid. The back up camera doesn't always work and I cannot get the foot activated liftgate to work at all. I am in contact with the dealership and have been told there was a recall on the camera. But does that affect the liftgate never responding to the foot activation? Has this been a common problem with Escapes or Fords in general?
I have the same problem. I have tried every method I can 5ink of and the lift gate just doesn’t work with my foot.
so far, I have had no issues with the camera, but my Escape was just built so maybe they corrected it at the factory.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium/AWD
96 Posts
Also adding that it is much less reliable if you have the tow hitch. You pretty much have to bury your foot directly to the left of the hitch. I took mine in as a service issue and it was fine. They showed me the motion and let me know that the hitch makes it much harder.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape SEL 1.5 Magnetic grey, Ebony interior.
28 Posts
I have had no issue with my camera but the lift gate...yes! My neighbors must get a kick out of me kicking the back of the suv trying to open this thing (no pun intended). It just doesn't work well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
People watch me kicking my Escape 2, 3, 4, 10 times and I can never get the hatch to open. I have to use the button to open or close it. Yes, occasionally, it does work.
But not very often.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,483 Posts
People watch me kicking my Escape 2, 3, 4, 10 times and I can never get the hatch to open. I have to use the button to open or close it. Yes, occasionally, it does work.
But not very often.
I merged your thread with an existing thread on this topic.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased my Food Escape Hybrid last month. I have no problem with rear camera but the lift gate won’t work. The car is locked and key fob with me. Multiple kicks, slow, fast and nothing works.
I don’t have a tow hitch.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I purchased my Food Escape Hybrid last month. I have no problem with rear camera but the lift gate won’t work. The car is locked and key fob with me. Multiple kicks, slow, fast and nothing works.
Do you have the tow hitch? I find kicking straight directly to the left of that works a lot for me. It's unreliable, so I use the key fob to open much more often.

As unreliable as it is, they shouldn't even list this as a working 'feature'.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Less than a month I want everything to work.
I have been in a loaner for 2.5 weeks for them to work on my TCU module for FordPass and the rattling from the B&O audio system I wish I hadn't got.

Sounds like you have a sensor malfunction. In my case, they blamed it on the tow hitch.

I've had this vehicle at the dealer a long time. It's my 4th repair on the audio system.

I wish I had gotten the base one and did aftermarket upgrades. It looks like I'll need an aftermarket installer to soundproof and fix the rattles in the end anyway.

I have driven Escapes since 2007 and this one has been in the shop more than the previous two and my car prior to that combined. I'm very disappointed in both Ford and the dealership.

If I could get out of this vehicle and get another, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd lose too much money, though.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Sport
10 Posts
I recently purchased my 2020 Escape SE hybrid. The back up camera doesn't always work and I cannot get the foot activated liftgate to work at all.
I also have the SE and I don't think it comes with the foot sensor. Am I mistaken?

·
Registered
317 Posts
You can find out using the Order Guide thread. You're right, Foot activated liftgate is SEL/Titanium only in 2020.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2020 Titanium AWD is only a week old today, so I won't claim to be a fountain of knowledge, but I HAVE learned that you cannot use the hands-free feature unless you are also carrying the key fob on your body (won't work if the key is sitting inside).

So far, my hands-free liftgate seems to be working perfectly. We do have the stock tow hitch, and just a simple straight kick in&out on either side of the hitch does the job the first time (just followed what the manual says to do).

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2020 Titanium AWD is only a week old today, so I won't claim to be a fountain of knowledge, but I HAVE learned that you cannot use the hands-free feature unless you are also carrying the key fob on your body (won't work if the key is sitting inside).

So far, my hands-free liftgate seems to be working perfectly. We do have the stock tow hitch, and just a simple straight kick in&out on either side of the hitch does the job the first time (just followed what the manual says to do).
My Escape Titanium awd with trailer tow is two weeks old and sometime the liftgate works with one kick but most times it takes a couple and sometime I have to use the key fob. Aggravating. My 2018 with trailer tow worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The food activated feature location depends on if you have a hitch. No hitch and the sensor is smack in the middle. If you have a factory hitch then it has two sensors, one to the left and right. If you have an aftermarket hitch it is possible they covered up your sensor but there is a Ford accessory to convert it to two sensors. Also on my B&O, I’ve gotten a new sub and my right rear tail light was rattling. They put some deadening material behind the light and all is well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts