2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Who thinks a aftermarket Cold Air Performance Filter has really increased their turbo sound?

• A little increase but not worth the money of a new filter

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a ‘17 Escape SE with the Sport Pkg and 1.5L EcoBoost motor. Personally I really don’t care about performance as much as I do with achieving that awesome loud Turbo sound and a great exhaust note. so I can’t tell you how disappointed I am with the turbo noise even after some hacks and a new performance air filter compared to the 2.0L motor! IN MY OPINION AND FROM HOW IT PERFORMED ON MY 1.5L ESCAPE ITS NOT WORTH YOUR TIME or MONEY BUYING A K&N or ANY AFTERMARKET FILTER IF YOUR LOOKING TO INCREASE THE TURBO NOISE. I started with doing the free hack mods to increase the Turbo noise, I removed the air filter box lid, which I recommend it definitely helped considerably then I removed the Underneath of the hood instillation padding that really didn’t do anything and then I purchased a K&N High Performance air filter to replace the stock filter and the new filter did very little to increase the sound of the turbo in fact if you want to increase that turbo noise try running no air filter at all I did and it made the most dramatic increase as of right now, which unfortunately still isn’t anywhere where I want it to be. I plan on continuing to try other things such as a cold air intake system because from YouTube vids that seems to make a real difference, going to have to decide on spending money on a BOV upgrade or do it cheaply and make where it is straight VTA. More expensive future mods will include possibly a complete straight 3” dual exhaust from the turbo with modifying stock downpipe to accommodate the 3” pipe (but I don’t know whether or not I want to completely straight pipe it and delete the cats and muffler) or even do a aftermarket down pipe with a tune. That’s another thing I’ll have to figure out is that it seems every video I watch even though all of the 1.5L EcoBoosts have the same straight pipe system They all sound different!

·
Registered
278 Posts
This isn't really a useful comment towards your questions, but for the record your not doing anything related to turbo noise with filters. Your only changing the air intake noise which is basically the same on all vehicle regardless of turbo or no. And yeah, less restriction, more noise, but remember that that restriction in saving you engine from all the dirt in the air so don't run without a filter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I only ran it without a filter for a quick test drive, unfortunate it’s not safe because it definitely made the swoosh and psssh sound of the turbo much louder and the K&N filter I bought for $61 at autozone was just slightly louder than the stock filter.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
wall of text crits you for 9000.

anyways heres the basic plumbing diagram of an ecoboost. taking the lid of and removing the filter works because the bypass valve dumps compressed air back in to the intake tubing.

so in my my you want the shortest least restrictive path for noise from the filter to your ears. is your KN filter open ended (pictured) or closed? Open is louder.

lastly, i believe that a short air intake would be louder than a long CAI that might put the filter further from your ears. Also, i bet that a metal intake would be louder than a plastic. my honda civic intake noise is crazy loud. (short ram metal intake, KN filter, positioned right behind the steering wheel in the engine)

PS i have a 2.0

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This isn't really a useful comment towards your questions, but for the record your not doing anything related to turbo noise with filters. Your only changing the air intake noise which is basically the same on all vehicle regardless of turbo or no. And yeah, less restriction, more noise, but remember that that restriction in saving you engine from all the dirt in the air so don't run without a filter.
That was really good info thanks! The K&N filter was closed end so yeah that definitely makes sense that it should have been opened ended I admit I did not research filters just bought the one that fit my escape from AutoZone. So can you tell me other inexpensive things I can do to increase the sound of the turbo and suggestions for a future exhaust system

·
Registered
278 Posts
A BOV is a must. You'll love it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wall of text crits you for 9000.

anyways heres the basic plumbing diagram of an ecoboost. taking the lid of and removing the filter works because the bypass valve dumps compressed air back in to the intake tubing.

so in my my you want the shortest least restrictive path for noise from the filter to your ears. is your KN filter open ended (pictured) or closed? Open is louder.

lastly, i believe that a short air intake would be louder than a long CAI that might put the filter further from your ears. Also, i bet that a metal intake would be louder than a plastic. my honda civic intake noise is crazy loud. (short ram metal intake, KN filter, positioned right behind the steering wheel in the engine)

PS i have a 2.0
I did not try an opened ended air filter I think I will and see how that sounds, thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
You have any recommendation for a good BOV or are they pretty much all the same? Besides a BOV anything else I can do to make it sound better?
I've got a Turbosmart on my 2.0 and love it.

Really, the only major thing you have left to up the noise is the exhaust. I don't personally have any recommendations in that department so look around at what other members have done.

Reactions: FATHOMZ

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape SE, Ingot Silver
12 Posts
If you want turbo noise, take out the small piece of sound insulation foam and remove the firewall grommet. Scared the living daylights out of me the first time I forgot to put it back on lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A BOV is a must. You'll love it.
Just order a Bommba Blow off valve spacer I didn’t know the difference the reviews on the spacer seemed like exactly what I am looking for and it was the cheaper option of the two, so hopefully I got the right one! Also ordered a open air green air filter and deleted my resonator today and installed nicer exhaust tips

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,673 Posts
Reactions: Samferraro215

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you want turbo noise, take out the small piece of sound insulation foam and remove the firewall grommet. Scared the living daylights out of me the first time I forgot to put it back on lol
can you please explain more I unfortunately have absolutely no clue what all that is I love cars but I don’t know much technically

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did remove the hood blanket /insulation pad but in my opinion that really did little for me to hear the turbo noise better and of course I removed the air filter box

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape SE, Ingot Silver
12 Posts
I did remove the hood blanket /insulation pad but in my opinion that really did little for me to hear the turbo noise better and of course I removed the air filter box
Behind the small oblong sound insulation cutout by the brake pedal, there is a black metal piece of rubber that is meant for wires to be run through but due to it's proximity to the engine, it introduces a large amount of turbo noise. Simply pull this small black piece of rubber out to see what it sounds like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you haven't found one already, I think youtube might have one or search this forum.
got one.. but none really showed me the depth id be working with close up. chanced it and bought an extension and 5mm socket w the key set on the side. worked out well but lost uclip to the wiring harness above the bov somewheres in the undercarriage plastics. staying in place for now O_O

1 - 20 of 20 Posts