2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
There has been nothing confirmed that the Escape is going away. I would wait for the official news before you worry too much about this.
Yes, I understand that we just need to wait and see. There just seems to be a pattern here with the Edge not being continued. I get that the car companies are trying to increase total product average MPG by making changes in engine choice and moving the consumer toward EV's but I am not sold on EV's yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for this valuable and interesting posting !
I have a 2020 Hybrid Titanium and it is my favorite vehicle of 3.
My wife prefers Toyota, and we just purchased a new Hybrid Venza (really a working-man's Lexus RX-350 Hybrid).
During the purchase, we spoke to the manager, and he said three things that reinforce the article you provided.

1) Toyota is immediately stopping gas-only production of all vehicles - "What you see on the lot is the last of them we will ever have".
2) The Hybrids and EVs will have reduced model-types, which is the explanation for the old klunky Venza being replaced with the RX-350. And Corolla will have an SUV, hybrid or EV.
3) Toyota thinks the chip-shortage is essentially permanent. Which is driving alot of these decisions.
I work for a firm which makes the giant tester-systems used to final-test chips.
Our lead-times have increased 12-18 months and customers like Infineon and NXP and Renasas that make car-chips are all offering large purchase increases just to get ANYTHING that will increase production capacity.
We can't get chips to make the big-tester systems used to make more chips.
Disturbing, really.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0l Ecoboost
1,243 Posts
My youngest son is getting my Escape and I'm closing to receiving a Bronco Sport Badlands. The Bronco Sport is a better fit for me. The Escape Titanium is probably a bit much for a first car but it's all I've got to offer him.

Reactions: Gryffindor101

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,227 Posts
My youngest son is getting my Escape and I'm closing to receiving a Bronco Sport Badlands. The Bronco Sport is a better fit for me. The Escape Titanium is probably a bit much for a first car but it's all I've got to offer him.
I just gave my Escape to my son for his 18th birthday/graduation present. It’s great for a first vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 Titanium Hybrid
75 Posts
Farley does not want to sell “commodity vehicles” like Edge or Escape. Many companies make a ton of profit on commodity vehicles and other industries like computers or appliances.
Yes, but Ford doesn't. That's the problem. They lose money on commodity vehicles because 1- competitor vehicles are more compelling (they have no pricing power) and 2 - they have much higher warranty costs than their competition (the WSJ had and article about this - they're spending over $1400 per vehicle in warranty repairs).

So Ford needs to focus on high-margin vehicles that are purchased out of passion, like the Bronco and Mustang, niches where there isn't much competition or they have an advantage (Maverick), and EVs.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts