Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Ford Escape Titanium 2013

Votes: 2 20.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am going to be buying my first car and I want to buy an escape. However my budget is tight. I want to know which of these two types of escapes would give me the better deal in the long run. I plan to keep this car for a couple years, so I would love some opinion from people knowledgeable on this car. I also don't want a car that will completely lose it's value in say 6 years.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,126 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest the earlier model (2013 or 2014) with the 2.0l EcoBoost engine. The 1.6l EcoBoost had serious cooling system issues, so avoid that. There are a lot of 1.5l EcoBoost engines (which would be fitted in the 2017/2018 models) which have had engine rebuilds due to coolant getting into the cylinders. A smaller number of 2017/2018 2.0l EcoBoosts (with the updated twin scroll turbo engine) have also suffered the coolant intrusion.

The other thing to check is if the auto trans has had the fluid changed at all. The factory interval is way too long and some people have had issues with transmission wear/ failure. So if you're looking at one that has covered a higher mileage check that out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The redesigned front end of the 2017+ are cool but if you are only planning to keep it for a few years voted an older model since the value on it should have depreciation enough unlike a newer year.
If you are a tech person would highly suggest getting a model with the touch screen info center. My F150 has it and wish my Escape had it.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Any of the 2L models from 2013 to 2018 are fine depending on budget. Very few dramas with this engine. The 2017 + models are more attractive at the front in my view but that is just a matter of opinion...😉

Reactions: sandog

·
Registered
38 Posts
Whatever year you get, check the trans fluid, and change it every 30,000 Miles.
I bought a 2013 (SEL) a few weeks ago that has 123 K on it.
Changed the fluid yesterday, and it was thick and black. I doubt it had every been changed.
I dumped 5 qts. (had it on an incline, front ramps), added 5 and drove it around, today I'll dump some more and refill.

The filter on the 6F35 is internal, and when you drain, all of it doesn't come out. So you'll want to get out what you can, add, then do it again a few times.
Proper fill is when it quits dribbling out of the weep-hole at operating temp and the vehicle level.
Mercon LV is only $5.60 per quart at the dealer, much cheaper than a new transmission.
My cabin pollen filter was dark and filled with leaves as well, but they are only $20 some dollars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest the earlier model (2013 or 2014) with the 2.0l EcoBoost engine. The 1.6l EcoBoost had serious cooling system issues, so avoid that. There are a lot of 1.5l EcoBoost engines (which would be fitted in the 2017/2018 models) which have had engine rebuilds due to coolant getting into the cylinders. A smaller number of 2017/2018 2.0l EcoBoosts (with the updated twin scroll turbo engine) have also suffered the coolant intrusion.

The other thing to check is if the auto trans has had the fluid changed at all. The factory interval is way too long and some people have had issues with transmission wear/ failure. So if you're looking at one that has covered a higher mileage check that out.
Okay thankyou, I will keep these things in mind and look at the engine and auto trans fluid before purchasing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The redesigned front end of the 2017+ are cool but if you are only planning to keep it for a few years voted an older model since the value on it should have depreciation enough unlike a newer year.
If you are a tech person would highly suggest getting a model with the touch screen info center. My F150 has it and wish my Escape had it.
Thankyou, I will think about how long I can keep my car before buying a new one. I also am a tech person, so I will look out for that!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any of the 2L models from 2013 to 2018 are fine depending on budget. Very few dramas with this engine. The 2017 + models are more attractive at the front in my view but that is just a matter of opinion...😉
I have found only 1.5 liter eco models, but I will look for the 2 liter ones. Also I like how the 2017+ ones look too!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whatever year you get, check the trans fluid, and change it every 30,000 Miles.
I bought a 2013 (SEL) a few weeks ago that has 123 K on it.
Changed the fluid yesterday, and it was thick and black. I doubt it had every been changed.
I dumped 5 qts. (had it on an incline, front ramps), added 5 and drove it around, today I'll dump some more and refill.

The filter on the 6F35 is internal, and when you drain, all of it doesn't come out. So you'll want to get out what you can, add, then do it again a few times.
Proper fill is when it quits dribbling out of the weep-hole at operating temp and the vehicle level.
Mercon LV is only $5.60 per quart at the dealer, much cheaper than a new transmission.
My cabin pollen filter was dark and filled with leaves as well, but they are only $20 some dollars.
I don't entirely understand the whole auto trans fluid or it's process, but I will do some research and ask about this when looking for cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is high mileage bad? I found a 2017 escape with 138k on it with all the features I need, but was only a 1.5L model sadly. What should be the cap for odometer mileage?

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,437 Posts
Is high mileage bad? I found a 2017 escape with 138k on it with all the features I need, but was only a 1.5L model sadly. What should be the cap for odometer mileage?
If you do end up getting a 1.5L. Make sure you get a garage to look at prior to purchasing it. Make sure they check for coolant leaks and maybe do a compression test. There have been coolant loss issues reported here on the 1.5 and 1.6 engines.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
If reliability is your concern I would still be inclined to look for 2L models, particularly the earlier model as they can be had for similar money to the 1.5L models.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,126 Posts
Is high mileage bad? I found a 2017 escape with 138k on it with all the features I need, but was only a 1.5L model sadly.
I'd keep looking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found a 2019 ecosport in my range with a 2.4L engine thats a rebuilt title, but it seems sketchy, shouldn't it be a 2.5L engine? Sine online it says Ford only offers 1.5, 2.5 and 2.0L engines.

·
Administrator
5,437 Posts
I found a 2019 ecosport in my range with a 2.4L engine thats a rebuilt title, but it seems sketchy, shouldn't it be a 2.5L engine? Sine online it says Ford only offers 1.5, 2.5 and 2.0L engines.
You can look on Ford’s website to find this information. There probably it is a good forum to find out more information on the Ecosport. To see what problems it may have

·
Administrator
5,437 Posts
Thanks, I will check it out!
In our Other Vehicle discussion sub forum. Another member posted a sort of a review on the Ecosport. I think he got it as a loaner while his Escape was being repaired. Might be some information there that could be helpful

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello I am going to be buying my first car and I want to buy an escape. However my budget is tight. I want to know which of these two types of escapes would give me the better deal in the long run. I plan to keep this car for a couple years, so I would love some opinion from people knowledgeable on this car. I also don't want a car that will completely lose it's value in say 6 years.
Do NOT buy a Ford Escape. Engine failures, paint peeling while still under the three year warranty, on and on. Buy another brand. This coming from a lifelong Ford owner. We are now in the process of suing the Ford dealership for paint peeling issues for a THIRD TIME on our 2017 Escape.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Do NOT buy a Ford Escape. Engine failures, paint peeling while still under the three year warranty, on and on. Buy another brand. This coming from a lifelong Ford owner. We are now in the process of suing the Ford dealership for paint peeling issues for a THIRD TIME on our 2017 Escape.
Sorry to hear of your woes. I assume you have a blue or white car as they seem to be the only colors with paint peeling dramas for some reason.

Basically they are a good car but I understand your frustration and the frustration of others here with the same problem which would put you off these cars forever.

Seems to be a US assembly problem (Louisville?) as there does not appear to be a problem with blue and white cars manufactured in Europe. I certainly have not heard of it happening with our aussie cars which are currently manufactured in Valencia, Spain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This sucks to hear but I'm really being limited to the Ford escape due many reasons. I think after reading a lot of controversy on this vehicle online and on this forum specifically has made me decide that I will try to keep this car for as little time as possible. I am intrigued by the paint peeling issue because I have never heard of it. I hope it doesn't turn out that way for me. As @wiz043 said I think it might be a manufacturing issue in our country.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts