• Ford Escape SE 2018

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Ford Escape Titanium 2013

Votes: 2 20.0%
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
This sucks to hear but I'm really being limited to the Ford escape due many reasons. I think after reading a lot of controversy on this vehicle online and on this forum specifically has made me decide that I will try to keep this car for as little time as possible. I am intrigued by the paint peeling issue because I have never heard of it. I hope it doesn't turn out that way for me. As @wiz043 said I think it might be a manufacturing issue in our country.
Assume you haven't purchased yet. If you stick to the 2L model and avoid buying a blue or white one you will be fine.
Very few problems with them overall...☺

·
Registered
2014 Escape Titanium
183 Posts
I bought a '14 Titanium from my sister when she bought her boss's '17 when the lease was up . . . she wants her '14 back. 😏 Jus' sayin'.

Reactions: kali006

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest the earlier model (2013 or 2014) with the 2.0l EcoBoost engine. The 1.6l EcoBoost had serious cooling system issues, so avoid that. There are a lot of 1.5l EcoBoost engines (which would be fitted in the 2017/2018 models) which have had engine rebuilds due to coolant getting into the cylinders. A smaller number of 2017/2018 2.0l EcoBoosts (with the updated twin scroll turbo engine) have also suffered the coolant intrusion.

The other thing to check is if the auto trans has had the fluid changed at all. The factory interval is way too long and some people have had issues with transmission wear/ failure. So if you're looking at one that has covered a higher mileage check that out.
My vehicle is a 2018, 1.5L ecoboost AWD bought NEW w/ 55 miles on it (leftover) in March, 2020; just over a year ago!
Multiple chips visible in it’s finish (magnetic metallic).
I will question paint issues with the dealer’s service department BUT I have to pick my priority today as I am literally...
Waiting for a call from my dealership’s service department to inform me of Ford’s plan to replace my engine after piston ring problem caused oil to leak into and destroy cylinders!
Yup! You read correctly!
Second routine service was performed March 21st; less than 6 weeks ago.
I complained first about an engine tapping sound (pistons?) within first few months of ownership and was told it was the sound of “fuel injectors”.
By November, I noticed vehicle’s excessive oil consumption. Consumption beyond any car I have ever driven and I’ve driven some oil burners in the past.
Reported my concern about my observation twice to dealer with no issue identified.
Turns out, I wasn’t crazy! It was sucking oil all right!
I’m disgusted and sad though.

PS Also, the dumbest most difficult oil stick ever! Stupid plastic pin is nearly impossible to read with inconsistent results often one side is dry, one side coated in oil.
Go figure.
It feels disingenuous to recommend a 2018. Especially, today.

·
Registered
2017 Escape SE, 2.0, 4WD
25 Posts
For what it's worth, I bought a 2017 SE all wheel drive 2.0 with 100,000 miles on it in Nov. 2018. It now has 105,000. It's been a great car so far, no issues. No paint issues either, it's silver.

·
Registered
2014 Escape Titanium
183 Posts
If reliability is your concern I would still be inclined to look for 2L models, particularly the earlier model as they can be had for similar money to the 1.5L models.
Which for our young buyer to note, hence he reason 2.0's are hard to find, but 1.5's are everywhere. People are still driving the 2.0's.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts