2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
.... do auto insurance companies use the IIHS ratings as a factor in setting their rates?
Interesting (darned good ;-) question, I googled do insurance companies use IIHS crash ratings to set rates and found a number of (mostly insurance company) articles suggesting both IIHS and NHTSA tests are a factor in rate setting. Didn't spend a lot of time reading the hits but scanning didn't reveal any quick info on the degree of rate impact (pardon the pun), though a nerdwallet hit does talk about safety rating vs insurance cost vs vehicle cost and a sort of weird (IMHO) notion of 'payback'. Just two of the 'hits' ...

How Safety Ratings Affect What You Pay for Car Insurance

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/how-much-can-you-save-on-car-insurance-by-buying-a-safer-car/

·
Super Moderator
5,521 Posts
It’s important to highlight that the Escape was the ONLY small CUV to fail the test...

This sucks...Ford is cutting corners! It’s exactly what they did the the F150 crew cab vs extended cab, one passed the drivers test, the other failed because they assumed IIHS was going to test only the crewcab.

Ford...where is the 2019 Escape? I’m getting close to be done with you.

You sure have a hate on for Ford. OMG. lol

·
Banned
248 Posts
It’s important to highlight that the Escape was the ONLY small CUV to fail the test...

This sucks...Ford is cutting corners! It’s exactly what they did the the F150 crew cab vs extended cab, one passed the drivers test, the other failed because they assumed IIHS was going to test only the crewcab.

Ford...where is the 2019 Escape? I’m getting close to be done with you.

You sure have a hate on for Ford. OMG. lol
It’s not hate, it’s a critical opinion - Ford should have more people like me in their staff payroll. If you only have people that pretend everything is great, you will die in this competitive market. I want them to succeed...

I have 4 Fords, 2 Escapes, 1 Explorer and 1 Mustang GT.

·
Super Moderator
5,521 Posts
Hello To Escapees...
Well what do you all think about the 2018 front passenger side crash test results?
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same topic. No use having two threads discussing the same thing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I on my own perception Ford Escape earned a rating of "satisfactory" when the small overlap test was done on the driver's side. That was thanks to reinforcements Ford had added to that side of the vehicle initially in the 2017 model year. But Ford did not add those reinforcements to the passenger side, according to the Insurance Institute.

·
Registered
170 Posts
All vehicles sold in the United States are designed to meet the applicable National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) standards for the specific vehicle class. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) is a non-government private association funded by the insurance industry which conducts their own independent tests. Automakers are not required to meet IIHS standards.
Copy & Paste: https://m.iihs.org/mobile

21 - 26 of 26 Posts