2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
  1. My friend has a 2015 Ford Escape with 2.0 .She has bought a new battery, Negative battery cable with sensor. I’ve replaced them for her but it won’t start. It started when I put the new battery in. Started like 20 times that day. It set for a day until I could get new battery cable.i get to her house and the car wouldn’t unlock like the battery was dead. I check battery with my meter and shows 12.9 volts. I put new cable and still won’t start. It has lights and all but windows won’t go down and won’t start. What is my next step? I only own Chevy cars and trucks. I have a video of what it does but don’t know how to post it

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,091 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Is your battery fully charged? The cables (as mentioned in the first post) often get corroded which can cause strange electrical problems as it affects the Battery Management System's operation. (That system controls when the alternator charges the battery.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
  1. My friend has a 2015 Ford Escape with 2.0 .She has bought a new battery, Negative battery cable with sensor. I’ve replaced them for her but it won’t start. It started when I put the new battery in. Started like 20 times that day. It set for a day until I could get new battery cable.i get to her house and the car wouldn’t unlock like the battery was dead. I check battery with my meter and shows 12.9 volts. I put new cable and still won’t start. It has lights and all but windows won’t go down and won’t start. What is my next step? I only own Chevy cars and trucks. I have a video of what it does but don’t know how to post it
I'm having the same problem with my 2014 Escape. Did you find a fix ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this problem with my 2015 Escape. It would randomly not start doing the same thing yours is doing.

Follow the red power wire from the battery and it will tie into a block with a bunch of smaller wires connected with posts and held down with nuts. This is the problem at least half of mine were loose enough to turn by hand. I tightened each one with a small socket/wrench and haven't had an issue since.

I can take a picture tonight when I get home from work so that someone with more knowledge then me can name the part.

·
Super Moderator
3,091 Posts
can take a picture tonight when I get home from work so that someone with more knowledge then me can name the part.
That would be fantastic if you could post a picture.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is attached to the front plastic of the battery box. If you seem to have random electrical issues like not starting sometimes but seemingly full power to dash you should check that all the connections are tight.

I had 2 tows to different mechanics and a replacement battery into this thing before I tracked it to this panel.

All I needed to do was remove the air filter hose blocking the way to access it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,091 Posts
Thanks for posting those pictures. I never realised there is a second fuse panel in the engine bay!

I'll have to have a closer look on my Kuga.

Reactions: KayakQueen

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having this issue with my Ford Escape now. Battery is fully charged yet the car will start only when I jump it. When I try to start it all the gadgets start flashing and clicking. This last time the horn and lights all went crazy till I jumped it to start. I'm probably going to pay hundreds to get someone to look way back at the negative terminal but maybe I'll see if I can get to this secondary fuse box. I thought it was all in the trunk. I am concerned about dealing with the air filter hose since I have zero experience working with cars. Thanks for sharing online so I could try and figure this out!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Can you post the year and model of your Escape? How old is the battery?

·
Registered
2 Posts
2015 Escape. The battery is about a year old and every time I use my portable jumper to jump, the kit still has full charge. When I jump dead batteries the jumper kit loses charge. More information: I changed the battery out with an Auto Zone employee and it's the worst battery to swap out given its location. It could be we didn't connect well enough but I do not have the tools to get the wiper blades and leaf guard off the check the negative terminal. Positive is good.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
2015 Escape. The battery is about a year old and every time I use my portable jumper to jump, the kit still has full charge. When I jump dead batteries the jumper kit loses charge. More information: I changed the battery out with an Auto Zone employee and it's the worst battery to swap out given its location. It could be we didn't connect well enough but I do not have the tools to get the wiper blades and leaf guard off the check the negative terminal. Positive is good.
Based on this limited information, I would guess a loose connection and maybe corrosion on the cables. Also, you made no mention of the BMS (battery monitoring system) being reset which also could be a source of problems. You DO NOT have to pull the wipers to get to the battery. In fact, the "air box" method is approved by Ford. OBTW, just about the only way to get the BMS reset is to get it done at the dealer. Your can read up and try Forscan but since you have limited experience this likely is more complications than you need. There are many threads on this board regarding bad batteries and battery replacement. A quick search will reveal much information. Short of the dealer, your best bet is to find a knowledgeble friend who can help you. DO NOT FORGET TO GET THE BMS RESET. Ford gets a big FAIL from me in neglecting to tell owners how important this is.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0l Ecoboost
972 Posts
Hi Sam. I don't have any info to help you with, but wanted to say it really helps to let folks know your make,model, year, engine, etc. to help narrow things down a bit.

Reactions: ajef7885

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,364 Posts
Engine keeps cranking on its own, but won't start?
I merged your thread with one of the existing threads that match this. There are other threads that may also help you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if your issue was fixed? My car is the same year and model with the same issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My fiance has a 2014 ford escape titanium with the 2.0l. Has 99xxx miles. Never had a problem with it. She went to leave work, and it wouldn't start. Wouldn't crank. She kept trying and it started. Drove home, I looked at it and it wouldn't start. Disconnected battery, still wouldn't start. I jumped it and it started. Next day, it wouldn't start again. Jumped it and it still wouldn't. I out a new battery in it and it started just fine. She drove to work the next morning and then the car wouldn't shut off. Message popped up on screen saying something like, going into battery power save mode. Shut off or start car. Finally got it to shut off. Started fine at lunch and shut off fine. Went she went to leave, it wouldn't start. I jumped it and it started just fine. Shut it off and it wouldn't start again. Jumped it and no go. Never tried to crank. Couldn't even get it into ACC. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,364 Posts
My fiance has a 2014 ford escape titanium with the 2.0l. Has 99xxx miles. Never had a problem with it. She went to leave work, and it wouldn't start. Wouldn't crank. She kept trying and it started. Drove home, I looked at it and it wouldn't start. Disconnected battery, still wouldn't start. I jumped it and it started. Next day, it wouldn't start again. Jumped it and it still wouldn't. I out a new battery in it and it started just fine. She drove to work the next morning and then the car wouldn't shut off. Message popped up on screen saying something like, going into battery power save mode. Shut off or start car. Finally got it to shut off. Started fine at lunch and shut off fine. Went she went to leave, it wouldn't start. I jumped it and it started just fine. Shut it off and it wouldn't start again. Jumped it and no go. Never tried to crank. Couldn't even get it into ACC. Any ideas?
I merged your thread with another thread with a similar issue. Have a look at the other posts for some help. You can also search the forum as this issue has Came up before for other members.

·
Super Moderator
3,091 Posts
I out a new battery in it and it started just fine.
Your issue could be caused by the BMS (Battery Management System) which requires resetting when a new battery is fitted. Searching for "BMS reset" should find info on how to do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts