2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2014 AWD Escape SE and absolutely love it. The vehicle has been very reliable over its 93,000 mile lifetime. I usually trade cars every seven years and I've started to look at the new models (2020) in anticipation of purchasing a 2021. I want to buy a 2021 AWD Escape SE, but I have found out that the only engine available is a 1.5 litre 3 cylinder ecoboost. I've read that these engines have major problems and aren't very reliable. The only way to get the 2.0 litre ecoboost is to move up to the SEL or TITANIUM, which I don't want.

In talking to a local Ford dealer service manager, he agreed with the fact that the 1.5 isn't reliable and as a matter of fact he showed me one that was blown up. He said the one he showed me isn't the only one that's been in his shop.

Well, it looks like when new car time comes around, I'll be looking at an Equinox or Terrain. Sorry, Ford, you're losing a customer!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I love my 2017 Titanium but this will be the last Ford I ever buy. There are way too many small issues with the escape that make me question the longevity of the vehicle. I'm looking at the Mazda CX-5 or an Acura RDX.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
he agreed with the fact that the 1.5 isn't reliable and as a matter of fact he showed me one that was blown up.
You realise it's a new 3 cylinder 1.5l EcoBoost in the 2020 and it's not the same engine (which is a 4 cylinder 1.5l EcoBoost) as fitted in the Escape prior to the 2020 update? The 4 cylinder is the one with the coolant leaking into the cylinders and subject to the recall for reprogramming the PCM.

I'm guessing the engine the service manager showed you was the four cylinder 1.5l EcoBoost. If that is the case, he shouldn't have the job of service manager as he doesn't appear to even know what engines are in the vehicles he's in charge of managing the servicing of.

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
I think the OP needs to do a little more accurate research on all of this. The 2020 1.5 3 cylinder has not been out long enough to have any reliability issues. You also need a different dealer that knows what they are talking about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You realise it's a new 3 cylinder 1.5l EcoBoost in the 2020 and it's not the same engine (which is a 4 cylinder 1.5l EcoBoost) as fitted in the Escape prior to the 2020 update? The 4 cylinder is the one with the coolant leaking into the cylinders and subject to the recall for reprogramming the PCM.

I'm guessing the engine the service manager showed you was the four cylinder 1.5l EcoBoost. If that is the case, he shouldn't have the job of service manager as he doesn't appear to even know what engines are in the vehicles he's in charge of managing the servicing of.
N0, he showed me the 3 cylinder 1.5 engine. I counted the cylinders and noticed the small size of the block. And I was glad he showed it to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
One blown engine does not mean that it is less reliable. I think there needs to me more time to make the statement that this engine is not reliable. Usually if there are multiple problems then at least some of those effected will come to the forum to post their issues. Haven’t seen anything here yet, except for this engine being louder. Which is annoying multiple members here.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
I drive a 2014 AWD Escape SE and absolutely love it. The vehicle has been very reliable over its 93,000 mile lifetime. I usually trade cars every seven years and I've started to look at the new models (2020) in anticipation of purchasing a 2021. I want to buy a 2021 AWD Escape SE, but I have found out that the only engine available is a 1.5 litre 3 cylinder ecoboost. I've read that these engines have major problems and aren't very reliable. The only way to get the 2.0 litre ecoboost is to move up to the SEL or TITANIUM, which I don't want.

In talking to a local Ford dealer service manager, he agreed with the fact that the 1.5 isn't reliable and as a matter of fact he showed me one that was blown up. He said the one he showed me isn't the only one that's been in his shop.

Well, it looks like when new car time comes around, I'll be looking at an Equinox or Terrain. Sorry, Ford, you're losing a customer!!
What was the SM or your definition of a “blown” engine? Had it literally disintegrated or did coolant get into the cylinders?

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
N0, he showed me the 3 cylinder 1.5 engine.
Okay thanks for clarifying that detail. My apologies.

Was it from an Escape or other model?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I think the OP needs to do a little more accurate research on all of this. The 2020 1.5 3 cylinder has not been out long enough to have any reliability issues. You also need a different dealer that knows what they are talking about.
The Ecosport use the 3 cylinder 1.0L Ecoboost engine? The dealer could have shown the OP one of those. It is also an open deck design.
It's a 1.0 L though, not the 1.5L in the 2020 Escape.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts